Legal in Texas

Now don't get me wrong, but a rifle... I can see using a shotgun MAYBE.

ROYALTON -- An Akron Road man and two Lockport residents face charges after an attempted burglary in which the homeowner allegedly fired a rifle at one of the intruders as he tried to drive away.

Do you know how far a round from a rifle will travel if one misses?

Let alone 15 rounds:

Cherry then fired about 15 rounds at the vehicle. There were no injuries, according to police. After then running from the scene on foot, Cordero was caught in a wooded area.

Damn right that is reckless endangerment.

He did get the vehicle to stop and the perp had to run into the woods (where he was later nabbed).

But man... 15 rounds with a rifle... Good thing nobody was around and got hurt.

Whoopee. He got the vehicle to stop. 15 rounds with a rifle is a bit excessive. That dude is no Lee Harvey or Charles Whitman, thank God.

I thought any magazine over 10 rounds was illegal in NY? But even the Texas Castle Doctrine doesn't allow shooting at fleeing criminals. It can be done only in defense of your or others lives-not to keep someone from"getting away"

Magazines over 10 rounds that were produced prior to the law going into effect are legal. "Pre-ban" magazines sell for a premium in NYS now.

Magazines over 10 rounds that were produced prior to the law going into effect are legal. "Pre-ban" magazines sell for a premium in NYS now.

Which ban- the old sunseted Federal one or the NYS one? 10+ new manufacture Magazines are a dime a dozen since the "assault rifle " ban expired. As far as I know[i bought enough mags in the early 90's to last a life time-haven't bought any post ban] the post ban[Federal] mags would be the same as pre-ban-no"law enforcement only" markings. How would anyone know if they were made in 1994 or 2009?

Now don't get me wrong, but a rifle... I can see using a shotgun MAYBE.

ROYALTON -- An Akron Road man and two Lockport residents face charges after an attempted burglary in which the homeowner allegedly fired a rifle at one of the intruders as he tried to drive away.

Do you know how far a round from a rifle will travel if one misses?

Let alone 15 rounds:

Cherry then fired about 15 rounds at the vehicle. There were no injuries, according to police. After then running from the scene on foot, Cordero was caught in a wooded area.

Damn right that is reckless endangerment.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out . I agree with your points but perhaps the counterbalance is that the guy firing has to be on an adrenalin rush. This does not suggest that he has no acountability, it simply says that if someone is breaking into your home and threatening your family it is hard to imagine that you would be of sound mind at that very moment. I am curious to see if he catches a break for this or if he is held to task.

He got off 15 rifle rounds and didn't hit the perps, let alone a bystander? Worst. Shot. Ever.

He should be charged for missing 15 times.

Compare that to the dude in Texas who bagged those career criminals. Two shots, two kills. He went free. :death: