Marv Levy on Dick Jauron

I saw this quote from an article by Mark Gaughan in the News this morning:

Loyalty is one of Marv Levy's strong traits. Here was Levy this week speaking about the Bills on Sirus XM Radio: "Personally, I was a little bit surprised and unhappy that they let Dick Jauron go. You can't just keep shaking it up, shaking it up, shaking it up. He's a good coach. He taught well. He related well with the players. Yes, he'd gone through several 7-9 seasons but I think if they would have stuck with him that was their best chance to really get the ball rolling."

I loved Marv as a head coach, as a GM not so much. I understand that he really liked Jauron and is loyal to him (he also has a personal stake as he was the one who hired him), but to say that Jauron was the Bills best chance to succeed is just too much.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Loyalty is one of Marv Levy's strong traits. Here was Levy this week speaking about the Bills on Sirus XM Radio: "Personally, I was a little bit surprised and unhappy that they let Dick Jauron go. You can't just keep shaking it up, shaking it up, shaking it up. He's a good coach. He taught well. He related well with the players. Yes, he'd gone through several 7-9 seasons but I think if they would have stuck with him that was their best chance to really get the ball rolling."

I loved Marv as a head coach, as a GM not so much. I understand that he really liked Jauron and is loyal to him (he also has a personal stake as he was the one who hired him), but to say that Jauron was the Bills best chance to succeed is just too much.

Marv is a legend, but he has to know Jauron was a major bust. Nix and Gailey have a much better chance than the old regime.

Marv is a legend, but he has to know Jauron was a major bust. Nix and Gailey have a much better chance than the old regime.

with all due respect, if Buddy and Chan have to face the same sort of injury situation that Jauron was saddled with, the results will be identical. I suggest we draft Hugh Jackman.

Where do I start? :wallbash:

I would expect Marv to say this stuff. He hired Jauron, and obviously shares his idiotic concept that football teams which suck should be rebuilt via the secondary and special teams. When the stars on the great Bills team were starting to age, Levy focused on the secondary rather than their replacements.

Levy was a good coach in terms of soothing egos and keeping the team together, but why he is presented as a "football man" escapes me. When the team weakened, Levy was reduced to screaming and cursing on the sidelines incoherently. He was the very worst candidate to be brought in as a GM, and we are paying the price.

The above might look like I "hate" Levy, but I do not. Moreover, he seems like a good man and I respect what he was able to accomplish. That said, I am of the very strong opinion that other, better coaches would have won a superbowl with that team, and that he was a totally incompetent GM, which btw is Ralph's fault, not his.

Someone should let Marv know that insulting the intelligence of Bills fans is not a very "loyal" thing for him to do. He was an abysmal failure as a GM and about that 0-4 Superbowl record...seriously, you couldn't win one of those games? He should just stop talking about the current state of the Bills and stick to talking about the glory days of winning AFC Championships and blowing the big one.

the more time passes and seeing how Marv did post-Bills versus Polian, the more i realize the early 90's team was all Polian. if we'd had a more capable coach like a Dungy we could have run the table.

Simply put - Marv and his incompetent staff he assembled (nobody other than Marchibroda was plucked by other NFL teams telling you what the rest of the league felt).......

Marv rode the Secretariat that Polian provided him and came in 2nd !!!

That is really insulting. Levt should take credit for the disaster that is DJ or better keep his mouth shut.

DJ is NOT a good teacher, and actually, despite all the laudatory congratualtions about being such a good man, he is not a good man either. A good man would have resigned at the end of the 2008 debacle.

Simply put - Marv and his incompetent staff he assembled (nobody other than Marchibroda was plucked by other NFL teams telling you what the rest of the league felt).......

Marv rode the Secretariat that Polian provided him and came in 2nd !!!

to add to that, Jim Kelly was as much the OC during that period as anyone else too. as soon as they huddled and went with plays from the sidelines the offense would suffer

with all due respect, if Buddy and Chan have to face the same sort of injury situation that Jauron was saddled with, the results will be identical. I suggest we draft Hugh Jackman.

Under the Jauron regime, the team had injuries of epic proportion..and yes its a rough sport. But when you consistently have many more that other team you better look at your training staff and the camp you run.

IF the people responsible for bringing in talent had done a better job, it's possible Jauron could have had many consecutive 9-7 seasons instead and still mostly missed the playoffs. Jauron did lack talent on his teams, so it's not 100% on him, but his problem is that he plays "not to lose" instead of "to win". That's one thing I like about Gailey -- him saying he "expects to win". I think Jauron falls into the "I hope to win" category. Only time will tell if all these changes work out, but I'm much more confident now with Nix in control and in a decision-making capacity that the Bills will do a MUCH better job of improving their player talent and that can only help ANY coach in place.

IF the people responsible for bringing in talent had done a better job, it's possible Jauron could have had many consecutive 9-7 seasons instead and still mostly missed the playoffs. Jauron did lack talent on his teams, so it's not 100% on him, but his problem is that he plays "not to lose" instead of "to win". That's one thing I like about Gailey -- him saying he "expects to win". I think Jauron falls into the "I hope to win" category. Only time will tell if all these changes work out, but I'm much more confident now with Nix in control and in a decision-making capacity that the Bills will do a MUCH better job of improving their player talent and that can only help ANY coach in place.

It's widely known that Jauron had a large say in who they drafted. I'm sure that Nix will do much a much better job than Jauron in picking players who are worth a you know what.

It's widely known that Jauron had a large say in who they drafted. I'm sure that Nix will do much a much better job than Jauron in picking players who are worth a you know what.

Jauron's calls during the game -- like the punt against new orleans, and settling for a 47 yarder during a blizzard on mnf -- speak volumes for how incompetent he was.

marv levy is a FAKE. i will say this till i am blue in the face...he got lucky! He had Bill Polian and top notch scouting hand him about 50 future Hall of Fame players. They won in spite of levy and could not win the most important game against the best coaches.

marv levy is a FAKE. i will say this till i am blue in the face...he got lucky! He had Bill Polian and top notch scouting hand him about 50 future Hall of Fame players. They won in spite of levy and could not win the most important game against the best coaches.

I wouldn't say a 'fake', but Levy is overrated by many Bills fans. He was a good, not great coach and was a poor GM.