Best Rock Guitarists Ever

truth on hold

I wasn't touting Lifeson as tops, I just expected as popular as Rush is, someone would mention him. I love his playing, but like I said, being #3 in a trio doesn't get him much credit. As far as you ripping on him, I really don't know where that's coming from, but whatever, you're entitled to your opinion.

Rush to me is just ok but of course they overcame a lot to get there even.

Anyway, it's not in a trio but Steve Howe was also #3 in his group, Yes. When you're in a band with Ian Anderson and Rick Wakefield it is hard to be recognized. Not saying Howe was the best, just better than people realized.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rush to me is just ok but of course they overcame a lot to get there even.

Anyway, it's not in a trio but Steve Howe was also #3 in his group, Yes. When you're in a band with Ian Anderson and Rick Wakefield it is hard to be recognized. Not saying Howe was the best, just better than people realized.

there was a brief period when a lot of people had Howe circled as the best due to his eclectic style. mood for a day, nice acoustic piece

there was a brief period when a lot of people had Howe circled as the best due to his eclectic style. mood for a day, nice acoustic piece

Of the current crop some people like Buckethead for that same reason. To me it's not so impressive if a guy can play distinct styles. What would impress me if someone could blend them into their own.

Not sure I've seen him mentioned...And certainly not "the best"...But Jack White can wail

I think the type of guitar that he uses is pretty original, thus making him eligible for this conversation.

I haven't read much of this thread because I've been at work but I have a few that've probably been mentioned...

-Jimmy Page

-Jimi Hendrix

^I'm sure both have been mentioned multiple times

-I've always enjoyed Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits

-Angus Young, maybe not the best but enjoyable to watch and a fun performer

-

Not sure I've seen him mentioned...And certainly not "the best"...But Jack White can wail

+1 on Jack White, nothing fancy but the guy is a nut and it comes out in his playing. Like the monster from Friday 13th on guitar.

A guy I'd nominate for the tier right below the very top guys would be Neil Schoen of Journey. Listen to him whale on Stone in Love Journey

I can't think of a more confident guitar player. And thank God he ditched that horrible Peavey equipment is using quality stuff now, so his playing sounds better than ever.

Most influential have to be Page and Van Halen. Page really established the style for metal guitar and for years everyone learning to play metal used him as the model. Then when Van Halen came out everyone used him as the new model with the tapping. And on a broader scale Hendrix for elevating the role of the electric guitar from accompanient to centerpiece.

Some honorable mentions:

Gilmour (great thematic soloing, without him Waters' compositions would have been folk songs)

Greg Lake (eclectic and technically proficient, ashame he never gets his due ... Karn Evil 9, for example)

Brian May (great theatrical soloing, and amazing sound from his home made guitar)

Slash (gets credit for bucking the trend of trying to impress with tapping and shredding; generated memorable solos with a pre-Van Halen style)

One guy I never get is Clapton. I just don't see why he's on so many short lists. Fairly conventional blues-rock style.

No Eddie Van Halen?

+1 on Jack White, nothing fancy but the guy is a nut and it comes out in his playing. Like the monster from Friday 13th on guitar.

A guy I'd nominate for the tier right below the very top guys would be Neil Schoen of Journey. Listen to him whale on Stone in Love Journey

I can't think of a more confident guitar player. And thank God he ditched that horrible Peavey equipment is using quality stuff now, so his playing sounds better than ever.

Schoen is a great player. In his Santana days, and the very early Journey albums, he showed what he can do. It is a shame he is stuck in such a horrible band.

As for Jack White...style over substance, IMO.

For a white dude that's not named elvis, Steve Perry had an OUTSTANDING bag of pipes.

Who was asking about female guitarists?

I think I have found the best ever... enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks8fA6rF_iU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F9i7rHfSn0

Anything to get their 15 minutes; I hate youtube.

I remember when Pat Benetar played the guitar, I don't know if she would be classified as a great guitarist though.

Anything to get their 15 minutes; I hate youtube.

I remember when Pat Benetar played the guitar, I don't know if she would be classified as a great guitarist though.

Youtube is awesome!

I guess this would be more your taste? :thumbsup: