Looking back at 2006/2007 Mocks

Mikie2times

While looking back at my mocks I noticed many players aren’t the league anymore. I also noticed that I was able to land more impact players then the Bills have. I searched and found 4 total mocks I posted for the 2006 and 2007 draft (no other years). By no means am I saying I’m any good at this, just shows how bad we are. Most the posts only included the first few picks.

Posted- April 2, 2007

Swap Firsts with SD for Michael Turner

1.Chris Houston CB- Starter with Atlanta

2.David Harris MLB- Pro Bowl Caliber

3.Manuel Ramirez OG- Drafted 4th round (has some starts for the lions)

4.Jacoby Jones WR- Drafted 3rd round, steadily improving

Posted-March 11, 2007

1.Patrick Willis- Drafted one slot before Buffalo, Pro Bowl

2.Michael Bush- Drafted 4th round, 500yrds a year avg, very inconsistent

3.Jason Durant- Drafted second round after ours, 33 starts, solid player

4.Daymeion Hughes- Drafted 3rd round, back up for Colts

Summary/What would have happened- I loved Turner and Willis, and would have landed one of them. I would have probably targeted RB Turner, trading down almost 20 spots would have landed him. So that adds CB Houston as our first, I’m ok with that. MLB Harris in the second is a steal a steal. Bush, Jones, Ramirez, Hughes in the 3rd.

RB Michael Turner, CB Chris Houston, LB David Harris, then either Jones, Ramirez, Hughes, or Bush in 3rd/4th

Posted Jan 24, 2006

1. D'Brickshaw Ferguson (OT) Gone before pick

3. Elvis Dumerville Pro Bowl (Was Available)

5. Brad Smith WR/QB/Slash role for Jets (Drafted 4th round)

7. Paul Solai (Drafted 4th Round)

Posted Dec 14, 2005

1.Haloti Ngata DT Oregon Pro Bowl (Was Available)

2.Daryn Colledge OT Boise State Started 60 of 64 games (Was available in 2nd round)

2.Davin Joseph OG Oklahoma Started 56 of 57 games (3 picks before McCargo)

Summary/What would have happened- I started a draft Ngata thread, the first of it's kind. Obviously he would have been my guy. In the second we land Colledge, we don't need to trade up to do so. We could have nearly landed all three in Joseph/Ngata/Colledge as Joseph went just before McCargo. We land Dumerville, filling out with Smith, Solai

DT Ngata, OT Colledge, DE Dumerville, WR Smith, DT Solai

If this went down, and as I shown it easily could have, these years would have netted DT Ngata, RB Turner, LB Harris, DE Dumerville, OT Colledge, CB Houston, RB Bush, WR Smith amongst others.

God we suck at drafting

your livin in the past man, live in the now bro, worry bout this yr, all that matters is the future dude, the future

And what a bright future!

Gailey, no-name, and the DC to be named sometime later.

I have never been more enthusiaitic about the future than this moment.

LOL

And what a bright future!

Gailey, no-name, and the DC to be named sometime later.

I have never been more enthusiaitic about the future than this moment.

LOL

a no name HC thats been to the playoffs multiple times, give it a chance man, the negativity around here is sad, and rediculous

There was a reason Dick Jauron and John Guy were fired, and Buddy Nix was hired.

Almost every post I read about last seasons draft, most of the posters wanted Brian Orakpo over Maybin. Most were saying why not Michael Oher at LT to address the Jason Peters departure.

Lets just hope Nix is better at evaluating talent

a no name HC thats been to the playoffs multiple times, give it a chance man, the negativity around here is sad, and rediculous

:worthy: Good post. Teams Gailey has coached on, in any capacity in the NFL, have made the playoffs 11 of his 15 years coaching in the NFL. The two most impressive years in my opinion, were when he was OC in Miami with Dave Wandstadt, having only career mediocre QB Jay Fiedler, the Dolphs posted 11-5 seasons both years.

That said, I have to admit there is nothing impressive about this Modkins he allegedly hired as his OC. It is nothing more then your typical Gregg Williams type of hire. A guy who has never been a coordinator, and hired more for the fact that Gailey has known him for years then any other logical reason. Certainly, serving as RB coach of the Cardinals did not earn Modkins the promotion. Gailey gets a pass because he told everyone he was handling the offense himself. But he still had the opportunity to at least hire someone who has been a legitimate OC at either the college or pro level, to make his duties a little easier on himself. :wallbash:

By no name I meant the new OC, sorry, not Chan.

By the way, quick, what is his name?

Even people at GT likely don't know who he is, the 2007 RB coach at GT is our OC now. Nice jump for the guy, kudos on that.

Yes, I had heard of Chan before, even if I had not thought of him for 10 years or so prior to the day of his hiring.

Chan>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.Dick Jauron, no doubt about that, so yes, hope is higher than last off season.

After this decade of fail, yeah i would take the average Bills fan draftnik over what we did draft. I dont think there were too many fans wanting to draft Whitner. I dont think there draftniks asking to use multiple picks on Losman and McCargo. It goes on and on.

woulda, coulda, shoulda:

2009- Maybin (#10) or Brian Cushing (#15) (def R.O.Y)

2008- McKelvin(#11) or Ryan Clady(#12) ( #1 Left Tackle in NFL)

2007- Lynch (#12) or Darrelle Revis (#14) (#1 corner in NFL)

2006- Witner (#8) or Haloti Ngata (#12) ( PRO Bowl NT)

2006- McCargo (#26) or Nick Mangold (#29) (#1 Center in NFL)

2005- traded away to DAL (#20) for J.P. Losman or Aaron Rodgers (#24) (PRO Bowl QB)

There was a reason Dick Jauron and John Guy were fired, and Buddy Nix was hired.

Almost every post I read about last seasons draft, most of the posters wanted Brian Orakpo over Maybin. Most were saying why not Michael Oher at LT to address the Jason Peters departure.

Not just evaluating talent, but understanding what it takes to build a honest to goodness NFL team that has a chance.

woulda, coulda, shoulda:

2009- Maybin (#10) or Brian Cushing (#15) (def R.O.Y)

2008- McKelvin(#11) or Ryan Clady(#12) ( #1 Left Tackle in NFL)

2007- Lynch (#12) or Darrelle Revis (#14) (#1 corner in NFL)

2006- Witner (#8) or Haloti Ngata (#12) ( PRO Bowl NT)

2006- McCargo (#26) or Nick Mangold (#29) (#1 Center in NFL)

2005- traded away to DAL (#20) for J.P. Losman or Aaron Rodgers (#24) (PRO Bowl QB)

We would be playing today if we had those guys!

you get the idea that Buddy is not going to out voted in the draft room, no more maybin over cushing stuff

Good post. I like that kind of stuff. Missing guys like Dumerville are acceptable to me. Nobody thought he would be that good, although his sack production faded a little in the second half of the season.

Its the obvious misses like Ngata, Oher, Cushing, Orakpo that burn me. I'll still never forget Marv Levy saying right after the draft that he wouldn't have taken Patrick Willis anyway even if the niners hadnt grabbed him ONE spot before us. Dumbass.

I think we have been chasing our tails during these drafts. Chasing the one glaring need sometimes over a better player that fills another slighly less glaring need. This leads to maybin over other or cushing

whitner over the d.t

mcargo over almost anyone

even Hardy, we all screamed for big reciever then we draft one but turns out it doesn't help because he can't stay on the field or for tha matter he mght not be that good .

the entire decades of first round picks have been a disaster . You could argue that evans is a good pick and I think it is too early to dismiss Mckelvin but there are a ton of misses

oddly I feel like Buddy nix is going to fix this problem. I am not sure abour how he handles the rest of his job but based of track record it seems as though our drafting should improve

While the players you have picked your mocks have done well, who's to say that they would have progressed like they have in Buffalo. Talent scouting is a tough job, because you have to find players that your coaches can develop. Regardless if you have good coaches or not, if the players don't develop it's your ass. That said, I can see the list of players above not developing due to miserable coaching staffs that have been in Buffalo.