Passwords - Why Stupid People Should Not Use The Intarweb

/dev/null

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny because at work many years ago (about 15) we had an electric gate that had a "Multi-Code" remote for the operator... It was set from the factory with the dip switches: "One up, one down." Anyway, I went home to BFLO in the early 1990's and pressed it accidently at my parent's house... Their neighbor's garage door opened up. Man was that a hoot... We could stand at my parent's front picture window opening and closing the neighbor across the street's gargage door. Funny because my father would always swear the gargage door would open when planes flew over towards the airport... No doubt that may have been true!!

:thumbsup:

If you are trying to get on to someones wireless network admin, admin1, or guest those always seem to work. I work next to a bank and whenever I have to do homework at work I log on to their WiFi network and their password is admin1.

You are right... Motorola is:

UN: admin

PW: motorola

It also says to change the default UN/PW immediately.

If you are trying to get on to someones wireless network admin, admin1, or guest those always seem to work. I work next to a bank and whenever I have to do homework at work I log on to their WiFi network and their password is admin1.

A Bank?

That's just disturbing

A Bank?

That's just disturbing

My joke at work was about how the IT department sends out e-mails reminding us not to click on links in unfamiliar e-mails, while saddling us with the most intrusive anti-viral application I have seen. Yet the password for the the generic user (can do some stuff) to log onto the network is "Companyname1". :thumbsup:

My joke at work was about how the IT department sends out e-mails reminding us not to click on links in unfamiliar e-mails, while saddling us with the most intrusive anti-viral application I have seen. Yet the password for the the generic user (can do a lot of stuff) to log onto the network is "Companyname1". :thumbsup:

From personal experience, don't blame the IT department for that one

A password policy like that comes from on high up from the Prince of Darkness themself. My fellow IT Nazi's would gladly make something that retardedly stupid into C0mp@nyn@me1 or OmF990dUn00bzw!11N3v3rHa><><0rzTh!s

From personal experience, don't blame the IT department for that one

A password policy like that comes from on high up from the Prince of Darkness themself. My fellow IT Nazi's would gladly make something that retardedly stupid into C0mp@nyn@me1 or OmF990dUn00bzw!11N3v3rHa><><0rzTh!s

I think if they had their choice it would be more W@WrulzDD@dru1z. 12 character limit though.

I think if they had their choice it would be more W@WrulzDD@dru1z. 12 character limit though.

12 character limit :thumbsup:

We have a 14 character minimum

With at least 2 numbers, 2 Upper Case, 2 Lower Case, and 2 non-alphanumeric characters

And that's just the regular user passwords. Admin/Power User accounts are 16 characters

With at least 2 numbers, 2 Upper Case, 2 Lower Case, and 2 non-alphanumeric characters

And that's just the regular user passwords. Admin/Power User accounts are 16 characters

Yeah, despite the fact there is a group of 40 programmers (Customer Service for comparison is 60ish) I get the distinct Mickey Mouse impression at times (I have immense respect for certain people).

I worked somewhere that had roughly the same requirement...but you had to change it every two weeks, and couldn't use any of your last eighteen passwords.

Worst security I'd ever seen - since no one could EVER remember their current password, everyone wrote them down. Checking the under surface of the desk for a post-it note worked about half the time.

I worked somewhere that had roughly the same requirement...but you had to change it every two weeks, and couldn't use any of your last eighteen passwords.

Worst security I'd ever seen - since no one could EVER remember their current password, everyone wrote them down. Checking the under surface of the desk for a post-it note worked about half the time.

We're not as bad as the last 18 passwords....but writing them down on a Sticky Note :thumbsup:

Don't let /dev/null catch you with a written down password. Or else the Hypnotoad will punk your ass down

If you can't remember a lot of passwords, use TrueCrypt:

http://www.truecrypt.org/

Great open source encryption tool.

I wonder if the DoD is proud with all the passwords and what not.

I just a very large manila envelope labeled:

ACHILLES HEEL

WARNING: DO NOT OPEN! You won't make heads or tails out of it all, I can't either.

We're not as bad as the last 18 passwords....but writing them down on a Sticky Note :thumbsup:

Don't let /dev/null catch you with a written down password. Or else the Hypnotoad will punk your ass down

My point being, though, that security can be oppressive enough that it ends up counter-productive. Most secure systems are broken not by technical means but administrative failure or "social engineering" methods anyway.

If you can't remember a lot of passwords, use TrueCrypt:

http://www.truecrypt.org/

Great open source encryption tool.

I wrote something similar for myself, just for password management.

My point being, though, that security can be oppressive enough that it ends up counter-productive. Most secure systems are broken not by technical means but administrative failure or "social engineering" methods anyway.

I wrote something similar for myself, just for password management.

Bingo!

That is exactly why I seriously commented in Cincy's consumer thread forum about the wireless network. At my home is it really necessary if you go that strong of route. 64 characters... Eeegads!

You should see the old-timers here... If it wasn't for my trusty manila envelope (with the last ten years information in it)... I would look equally as stupid as them trying to get into various systems.

Hard to believe Tom that I actually look smarter than somebody... :worthy: Not by much.

I contend that my note taking system would baffle anybody (along with my posts)!

:lol:

Anyway... Doesn't one need a password to get into these programs? What is that 64 ASCII characters? :thumbsup: Isn't that basically an Achilles Heel too??

Bingo!

That is exactly why I seriously commented in Cincy's consumer thread forum about the wireless network. At my home is it really necessary if you go that strong of route. 64 characters... Eeegads!

You should see the old-timers here... If it wasn't for my trusty manila envelope (with the last ten years information in it)... I would look equally as stupid as them trying to get into various systems.

Hard to believe Tom that I actually look smarter than somebody... :worthy: Not by much.

I contend that my note taking system would baffle anybody (along with my posts)!

:lol:

Anyway... Doesn't one need a password to get into these programs? What is that 64 ASCII characters? :thumbsup: Isn't that basically an Achilles Heel too??

64 characters for your home wireless network is probably a bit much. A 16 character password would be sufficient. Anything guarded with less than a 12 character password is just asking to be stolen.

64 characters for your home wireless network is probably a bit much. A 16 character password would be sufficient. Anything guarded with less than a 12 character password is just asking to be stolen.

I understand. But it also depends on where you live too... How is the wireless gonna reach if you properly set the power level? What about enabling MAC filtering to only allow certain MAC ID's? Is there some way around that through the net??

I am serious and not being a wise-guy... I asked Cincy in the other forum. Maybe he was setting up NOT in a residential location.

This is the first time I have been dealing with establishing wireless at home and I have been wondering about this... Trying to make heads or tails of it all and still be secure.