Chargers columnist disses the Gailey hire.

BLZFAN4LIFE

Norv Turner was 53-82-1 when the Chargers hired him.

Exactly. I am not huge on the Chan Gailey hire, though I am growing to like him.

But let's face it, Chan Gailey and Norv Turner are the same coach. Offensive minds with mediocre records when they were hired. What's the difference?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. I am not huge on the Chan Gailey hire, though I am growing to like him.

But let's face it, Chan Gailey and Norv Turner are the same coach. Offensive minds with mediocre records when they were hired. What's the difference?

Gailey has taken bad teams and made them good ones as an OC. Norv has done similar, but usually his success was with good teams and keeping them there. Norv had young Emmitt Smith and Troy Aikman, Chan had them when they were over the hill.

Gailey's one HC stint he took ovder a 6-10 team, got them to 10-6, 8-8 in his two years, then that team went 5-11 three straight years after he was fired.

Gailey made his team better. Norv has no track record (as HC) of doing that.

That and their personalities are very different, and Gailey is more flexible/innovative, other than that, not they are pretty much the same. :rolleyes:

Oh - I'll give Norv credit for better hair, and Chan credit for a better complexion - does that help?

This columnist just throws in the Gailey hiring off the cuff like it has anything to do with the article he is writing about. Just a cheap shot at the Bills. Read down in the comments after the column and somebody is trashing AJ and his recent drafts, saying they should bring back Nix. I think we just have to let this play out and watch the coaching staff that gets hired.

Agreed .... Gaily is not the "sexy hire" that many were hoping for. The keys in Buffalo's situation are solidifying the offensive line, developing a true ground game and developing a QB. If they do these three things and simply maintain their current level of ability on defense they will improve enough to get to the playoffs. Making a deep run into them is another issue altogether. One step at a time. I'm kind of enjoying "the world" against Buffalo right now. It will make it that much sweeter if this thing is turned around.

here is the reply i got from the columnist...still not sure why it was included in the article.... :rolleyes:

PJ:

What I'm saying is that Gailey is yet another recycled coach, probably the ninth guy the Bills offered the job to. I wish him the best.

Nick

Seriously?

Hey Nick, the Chargers fired Marty (who was a 3 time recycled HC when the Chargers hired him), and hired fricking Norv Turner, a 2 time recycled HC (with a LOSING career HC record at the time).

And he's smacking on the Bills because they hired Gailey, a 1 time recycled HC?

Is Nick jealous?

WTF. So the owner, the GM, and the HC all get along "wonderfully". Great. Let them go sing "Kumbaya" together. Maybe Nickie-poo can join in.

But Nick, do everybody else a favor, and just STFU about the Bills.

Pooj,

Thanks for writing the idiot in attempt to get him to clarify his stupidity.

Phillip Rivers.

I read the whole article 3 times. I am still not sure what Nick was getting at with that comment.

If the comment was a diss against Gailey, he needs to recheck the Chargers coaching staff.

For the sake of Charger fans, I hope Nick doesn't think Norv Turner is some great catch.

Probably just reflecting on his earlier point that after the Bobby Ross era, the Chargers were widely believed to have no chance to compete. Things may not be perfect in Charger-land, but the team isn't a punchline.

Probably just reflecting on his earlier point that after the Bobby Ross era, the Chargers were widely believed to have no chance to compete. Things may not be perfect in Charger-land, but the team isn't a punchline.

The Chargers may not be a punchline at this point in time, but even in 2002, the perception was different. Nobody was talking about how great and stable the Chargers were when the team was throwing big money at second rate talent like Tim Dwight, Wiley, and Alexander (IIRC). Trying not to be disrespectful, the best thing to happen to the Chargers this decade was the death of Butler.

This columnist just throws in the Gailey hiring off the cuff like it has anything to do with the article he is writing about. Just a cheap shot at the Bills. Read down in the comments after the column and somebody is trashing AJ and his recent drafts, saying they should bring back Nix. I think we just have to let this play out and watch the coaching staff that gets hired.

I think you're right about the cheap shot. Reminds me a little of the Glenn Dickey( a west coast reporter covering the Raiders in the 60's) comment about Buffalo being "the armpit of the east" back in the late 60's. Also, alot like Pats columnists whose teams have be on top just long enough to make these wads take it all for granted and subconsciously think they'll always be. This assclown would do well to remember that the Bobby Ross era may not be that far away

I think you're right about the cheap shot. Reminds me a little of the Glenn Dickey( a west coast reporter covering the Raiders in the 60's) comment about Buffalo being "the armpit of the east" back in the late 60's. Also, alot like Pats columnists whose teams have be on top just long enough to make these wads take it all for granted and subconsciously think they'll always be. This assclown would do well to remember that the Bobby Ross era may not be that far away

"Assclown." Great word. I love it! And intend to use it often.

This columnist just throws in the Gailey hiring off the cuff like it has anything to do with the article he is writing about. Just a cheap shot at the Bills.

Kinda like what Nix did to the Raiders during the Gailey presser?

Everyone looks to kick the weaker guy. Them's the rules of the playground.

but at least nix's comment was in context of the whole coaching hiring situation...this comment has absolutely nothing to do with anything in the article.....from the writers mouth himself, as i provided

Ok, fine. But why Buffalo? What's the connection? Buffalo hired a recycled coach?

Marty and Norv were both recycled head coaches when the Chargers hired them.

Is he trying to portray the Chargers as "harmonious" unlike those "dysfunctional" Bills?

But why use the Bills when the Raiders are in the same division as the Chargers?

You think Chargers fans are completely in tune with what's happening in WNY as compared to what's happening in Oakland?

Ok, fine. But why Buffalo? What's the connection? Buffalo hired a recycled coach?

Is he trying to portray the Chargers as "harmonious" unlike those "dysfunctional" Bills?

But why use the Bills when the Raiders are in the same division as the Chargers?

You think Chargers fans are completely in tune with what's happening in WNY as compared to what's happening in Oakland?

Buffalo is essentially an unknown, empty signifier for "loser rust belt town" by people who do not bother to learn any more about it. When you combine that with the streak of meanness that runs through so much football journalism anyway (a subject all for itself), this is what you get.

The Recycled Coach Song

Sung to the music of "Row row row your boat"

Words by Timmo1805

Chan chan chan is one,

But so was Billy B

Heck even Bill Parcells was one

But he won a Super B!

Norv norv norv is one,

Kicked a time or three

Won a lot, 11 straight!

Still went home in Jan-u-ree.

Wade wade wade is one,

Head coach of the big D,

Fans call zone! Fans call man!

Extended almost 3.

Mangini's one, mangini's one,

The leader of Cleveland B,

Snitched on Bill, gave us a thrill,

He'll still see yee--ar three.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jan/20/1s20canepa/

Just throwing it out there FWIW...

here is my view on these writers ,,just think jerry sulivan...... total jerk.... talks out his ass,,understands less about football than any high school player and hes not alone they are in every town,, garbage in garbage out ,,the only thing they are usually right about is spelling... they use "unnamed sources" ,, "innuendo",, and bias (as in anti-jock mentality) in their articles ,, if you are dumb enough to hold these type of articles as informative then you are as ignorant as the writers,,

IT WAS FUN SEEING NIX SLAM SULLY (INDIRECTLY),, FOR INNACCURATE REPORTS

years ago writers were responsible in their articles now its ... who cares ? and they wonder why its called "fishwrap"