The 2010 Buffalo Bills

I just wanted to get an open discussion on the current Bills roster and what changes we needed to make going forward, i.e. what players should/will stay and what we need to go out and get to solidify certain positions. This is the my analysis by position, feel free to jump in and share your thoughts:

Offense:

Quarterback: This position needs an obvious over haul. I really was a Trent backer his first year and a half in the league and wanted him to succeed, but it is obvious after watching him this past year he is not the answer any more. I might keep Fitzy as a backup. Don't think Brohm is the long term solution. I was perplexed this season when Gibran Hamdan wasn't given a chance, looks like he has a decent arm and is willing to go down the field. I would take a QB in round 2, don't think any of them are worth taking in the top 10, hope to get someone in the interim that can be a transition guy.

Running Backs: I think Fred Jackson should be the guy next year...just a solid football player. If possible, I would try and see if I could get any draft picks for Marshawn Lynch, need more picks in the draft to rebuild this team.

Wide Receiver: I hope Chan is the guy that can finally get Lee the ball (and a quarterback that can). I'd say it's now or never for James Hardy, time to find out what this guy can do. I really liked Stevie Johnson his rookie year, I think he can be a good inside receiver and playmaker for this ball club. I'd say dump the rest.

Tight Ends: I think Shawn Nelson can be a really good pass catching, playmaking tight end. He was not utilized very well last year in the passing game due to many reasons we all know. I think he will be a reliable blocker as well. I also think Derek Schouman could be a really solid three down tight end in this league, however the guy just can't stay healthy. Derek Fine, not a bad blocker, but like Schouman, just can't stay healthy. I don't think this group is bad when they can stay healthy, and the key word there is healthy.

O - Line: Speaking of staying healthy....as hard of a time this unit had this past season, there is talent there. I really think they have two really good young guards in Levitre and Wood, possibly pro bowl futures for these two. Hopefully Wood can work his way back from his very ugly injury, at this point, who knows about his availability for next season. I think Hangartner is a better than average centre and they have money invested in him. I really think having a healthy Brad Butler will stabilize the unit as well. I like Demetrius Bell, but I don't think he is quite ready yet. What this unit needs is a solid force in the LT position to anchor down that side of the line. There should be one available at 9 in the draft or there could be one available in free agency.

Defense:

Defensive Line: I think this group will see a lot of change this upcoming season, especially if a 3 - 4 defense is implemented. If that's the case i would say good bye to almost everyone here. I would convert Maybin to an outside linebacker. If we can retain Schobel I would put him at the other outside linebacker spot, if he is game for doing that. It didn't work out to well for the Packers this year with Kampman. I would say bye to Kelsay, Stroud, Ellis and Denney. I would get a nasty NT. I would find a spot for Kyle Williams somewhere, I think he is really underrated and the guy just makes plays.

Linebackers: This is a group that could see a lot of change as well. I would keep Kawika, Poz. I would not bring back Keith Ellison. They have to find a way to get Nic Harris on the field, this guy just makes plays. This is a position that could use another playmaker, either on the inside if they go 3 - 4 or an outside backer.

Secondary: I would have to say this is one of the deepest in the league. There isn't a lot I would change with this group. I really think Terence McGee is one of the underrated corners in the NFL. I thought Drayton Florence really brought stability to the position last season. I think Leodis McKelvin relies too much on his athletic ability and really doesn't understand the position that well yet. Hopefully he can make some strides this year. I really like Reggie Corner and Ellis Lankster. Jairus Byrd...enough said! I really like the job George Wilson did at SS. I would bring him back as the starter next year over Donte Whitner. I like Donte Whitner but I really don't think he has lived up to his draft status and the other guys have done such a good job. Hopefully we can also find a spot for Bryan Scott next year too. He is such a team player that can do so many things.

Kicker/Punter: Both are solid!

I know it's long, but let me know what you guys think!