Go back to November 17th

BillsVet

On 11/17, a good majority of the fan base was relieved to see Dick Jauron fired as HC of the Buffalo Bills after 3.5 seasons of mediocrity. Word quickly leaked out that Buffalo secured a meeting with Mike Shanahan and most of us immediately dreamed of a name coach to replace the deposed DJ. Not long after that, rumors ran rampant that Ralph was offering unprecedented money to hire the former Broncos HC. Fans were led to believe there was going to be one last shot by the owner to win it all, as he talked about at his ring ceremony.

Most of all, several reports indicated there would be a serious evaluation of football operations, specifically the personnel departments. I figured the last vestiges of TD's reign of error, Modrak and Guy, would be shown the door so the team could put the past 10 years behind them. It wasn't to be.

Now fast forward to today. After each A list guy turned them down and subsequently hot coordinators showed general ambivalence to working at OBD, we've crash landed. No one can predict what Buddy and Chan will do, but it's a strange pairing and an unheralded one at that. Meanwhile, the same front office holdovers remain, and it appears no one is being forced out. So much for the house cleaning.

Admit it, the Bills marketing people fooled fans with subterfuge and PR once again. When I look back at the last two months, we're not so much disappointed by not getting a Shanahan or Cowher. It's more a matter of buying into hype and being dropped for a loss-again. If after 10 years of failure we don't re-evaluate as fans, I can't imagine what would force us to.

Gailey is a great offensive mind -- better than Billick, Gruden or Cowher. He made Jay Fielder look like a star for Christ's sake.

This is a smart move by the Bills. There is only so many times I can write this. It's a smarter move than Frazier, B. Schott or Grimm.

The Nix/Gailey tandem will prove to be fruitful.

Why do you all seem so frantic over what has been a very Bills intensive 3 months? I had fun with it and NO, I don't listen to the "nattering nabobs of negitivity" ( Just a little plagerism, thanks Spiro T. Agnew) in the press. I, too, believe that the Bills are simply waiting out John Guys' contract in May and he will be gone. They're still paying Dick Jauron, so why pay two men for literally nothing at all? There is no news yet on the staff Gailey will hire so calm down people, better days ARE ahead!! GO BILLS!!

Note: Yes, a decade of losing, blah, blah, blah!!

You conveniently forget that no one that is considered an A-lister wants anything to do with the Bills. They shot their wads for Cowher, Shanny, etc. Nada. What makes you think the GM position would have been any different? Yeah, the Bills went right back to form, but you need two to tango.

PTR

Gailey is a great offensive mind -- better than Billick, Gruden or Cowher. He made Jay Fielder look like a star for Christ's sake.

This is a smart move by the Bills. There is only so many times I can write this. It's a smarter move than Frazier, B. Schott or Grimm.

The Nix/Gailey tandem will prove to be fruitful.

Hope you're right

I don't buy it. Letting crazy ideas about paying Shanahan huge amounts of money to come in and rescue the franchise, then promoting Buddy Nix and hiring Chan Gailey, does nothing to fool the fanbase. Unlike the TO signing last offseason, this gets them nothing. Yes, there are people for whom hope springs eternal, but they would've bought in anyway if the narrative had been that the Bills thought they had some good people on-board but just needed to shuffle things up a bit.

So the problem I have with what you're saying is I don't see any kind of PR gain from the way management approached this process. I'm not optimistic about the Gailey hire, but I think Brandon is savvy enough to know that Nix + Gailey is not a marketing winner. So I don't find it tough to believe that they think this is a good football move. Success on the field is the only thing that will make this look good.

Whether that will happen is a different question (I lean toward no).