How bad are we really?

Now I understand that this is pure speculation and that we need to see free agency, our draft, who we re-sign, etc...to have a good idea of where we stand. However, I know some people are expecting us to go 3-13, 7-9 (safe pick), or even 11-5.

I am writing to suggest that we really take a look at our roster and likely players to get an idea of just how far away from competitive teams we really are.

Defensively I believe we are better than it looks. I know this year we were about average, but considering how long the defense was on the field I believe that we actually are pretty solid as a defensive unit. If we use Scott as a LB, with Donte and Byrd as the Safeties we might have a full squad of solid-play making unit. If Schobel stays we have a pro-bowl DE, pro-bowl alternative DT, Poz really stepped up this year, solid CB's and a pro-bowl FS. The other guys can succeed with talent around them.

Offensively is where we have problems. It seems like with the exception of running back we don't really know who or what we have and clearly this is the area that we could probably use the most help. That being said, if we get a good offensive line we might be able to use our running game as well as have a decent enough passing game to punish 8-9 in the box. Lee Evans did do pretty well when it was him and Gearless in 06 and he probably can again with a good scheme and a good enough QB to look for him and throw it accurately to him.

Special Teams is set if we have the same guys coming back. Maybe we won't be #1 with April gone, but I don't see any reason why they can't still be competitive.

So I am suggesting that maybe we won't sign the right people, have only an okay draft, etc....but I believe that with good strength and conditioning that playoffs could even be something that we are vying for next year. I think we are better defensively than we get credit for and if Jauron did one thing right he certainly built us a very strong secondary. Maybe we do need some more talent, but I think we can be much better than how we played this past year with the talent we have.

What do you all think?