Speaking of Thanksgiving...

stevestojan

When I lived in WNY, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving was touted as the "biggest party night of the year"... I thought that was a universal thing... Apparently not. When I mentioned that to people down here, they looked at me like I was French or something similarly terrible. My friends and I that are from Buffalo all went out, but the bars that are even open are DEAD...

So, to all of you non-WNYers, is wednesday a big party night in your part of the country?

dude... this is because no one is "from" Miami, they're just transplanted there.

NY State is the breeding ground for everyone to grow up and be educated. Then they move out of state and follow the money, jobs, and wherever taxes are less than NYS (which is everywhere else).

So the big party night is because everyone is COMING HOME.... so it's party time.

get your ass home.

Here in NJ, especially in my hometown, Turkey Eve is considered the biggest drinking night of the year

128881[/snapback]

Ok, so we weren't crazy thinking that South Florida is f-cked up... we went out last year, expecting the normal mayhem, people having fun, getting so drunk they wont really want to eat turkey the next day, and NOTHING. No one out. Just people that drink on wednesdays on a regular basis who refuse to change their schedule due to a holiday.

Its sad, really. I think we will get about 10 of us together and play some beer die, or beer pong. . . fug south florida and its sobriety.

Here in Dallas it's just the college age kids and the bars they frequent. The bars for the over 35 crowd are kind of quiet.

I remember those awsome party nights when I lived in WNY. I cooked a lot of turkeys with a hangover.

In certain cities, including Buffalo, yes, it is the biggest party night of the year. There are a few factors for this:

1. Virtually NOBODY works in the morning. That is basically the only day of the year this is true. Even Christmas and New Years a lot of people work, or have to do a lot of work.

2. In cities like Buffalo, people who have moved away travel back to spend time with their family and friends who are still there. So there are a lot of mini-reunions and a good excuse to go out and get hammered.

3. It's a Holiday that everyone celebrates and everyone likes, without the madness and the planning of Christmas and the fact that everyone's Christmas parties fall on different days.

4. It is before the Christmas season when there are all kinds of different get togethers and, like above, different days with different parties. Kind of like opening day of the football season.

5. Just about everyone has a long 3-4 day holiday and doesn't have to wake up on Thursday except to crawl to the couch.

6. It's a GREAT, pure, no frills party night as opposed to, say, New Years Eve and Halloween and Fourth of July and other "amateur nights".

It all adds up to a huge party night. There really isn't another day like it.

Ok, so we weren't crazy thinking that South Florida is f-cked up... we went out last year, expecting the normal mayhem, people having fun, getting so drunk they wont really want to eat turkey the next day, and NOTHING. No one out. Just people that drink on wednesdays on a regular basis who refuse to change their schedule due to a holiday.

Its sad, really. I think we will get about 10 of us together and play some beer die, or beer pong. . . fug south florida and its sobriety.

128893[/snapback]

Blue State = get drunk and give no thanks?

Red State = stay sober and be thankful for blessings?

:rolleyes:

In certain cities, including Buffalo, yes, it is the biggest party night of the year. There are a few factors for this:

1. Virtually NOBODY works in the morning. That is basically the only day of the year this is true. Even Christmas and New Years a lot of people work, or have to do a lot of work.

2. In cities like Buffalo, people who have moved away travel back to spend time with their family and friends who are still there. So there are a lot of mini-reunions and a good excuse to go out and get hammered.

3. It's a Holiday that everyone celebrates and everyone likes, without the madness and the planning of Christmas and the fact that everyone's Christmas parties fall on different days.

4. It is before the Christmas season when there are all kinds of different get togethers and, like above, different days with different parties. Kind of like opening day of the football season.

5. Just about everyone has a long 3-4 day holiday and doesn't have to wake up on Thursday except to crawl to the couch.

6. It's a GREAT, pure, no frills party night as opposed to, say, New Years Eve and Halloween and Fourth of July and other "amateur nights".

It all adds up to a huge party night. There really isn't another day like it.

128899[/snapback]

KellyTheFairAndBalancedDog?

No, I think I'd rather call you SaltForAVeryOpenWound.

Thanks for rubbing it in!!!

:rolleyes:;):blush::lol: :lol: :D

Wed before Thanksgiving is the biggest bar night of the year. Mothers day is the biggest restauraunt day of the year. Thanksgiving night and Christmas night are teh two biggest movie nights of the year. Wed before Thanksgiving rocks! Even dive bars that are dead all the time bump. There are some bars around here in Essex that have long lines to get in but they dont any business the rest of the year

Blue State = get drunk and give no thanks?

Red State = stay sober and be thankful for blessings?

:rolleyes:

128905[/snapback]

I'm a blue man living in a red state...

I think tomorrow the plans include a pro-life rally and the contradictory burning of all birth control, followed by a public hanging... should be eventful here in the good old red state of FLA

It's a pretty good night to go out in beantown, because a lot of the lame-o students are gone. The Rat in Kenmore square used to be pretty jammed on that night. They razed the whole block a fews years back. Now it's a crappy hotel. Maybe I'll sneak into the boiler room of the hotel and knock back a Busch mixed with Bulmers just for old times sake. I'm getting misty thinking about it. I really miss the Rat.

I'm a blue man living in a red state...

I think tomorrow the plans include a pro-life rally and the contradictory burning of all birth control, followed by a public hanging... should be eventful here in the good old red state of FLA

128911[/snapback]

You might want to wear a scarf so the rope doesn't chafe.

Try out Savannah sometime. EVERY Wed (hump day) is a party night. Great mix of traditional south and strangeness (partially thanks to SCAD). Whether you wear cowboy boots or dress total goth with a bead in your lip, there's always a party somewhere.

And beautiful, friendly women (if you don't mind women smarter than they look).

You might want to wear a scarf so the rope doesn't chafe.

Try out Savannah sometime. EVERY Wed (hump day) is a party night. Great mix of traditional south and strangeness (partially thanks to SCAD). Whether you wear cowboy boots or dress total goth with a bead in your lip, there's always a party somewhere.

And beautiful, friendly women (if you don't mind women smarter than they look).

128935[/snapback]

I was in Savanhah for Saint Patricks Day about 4 years ago. OMG! What a wild place! Honeys everywhere and total crazyness! They died the river green and partied for 3 days straight

I was in Savanhah for Saint Patricks Day about 4 years ago.  OMG!  What a wild place!  Honeys everywhere and total crazyness!  They died the river green and partied for 3 days straight

128942[/snapback]

One of our not so best kept secrets. I LOVE that town. Looking forward to when I can move back. I recommend renting "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil". It's uncannily accurate as to how crazy that place is. And a beautiful city to boot.

One of our not so best kept secrets. I LOVE that town. Looking forward to when I can move back. I recommend renting "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil". It's uncannily accurate as to how crazy that place is. And a beautiful city to boot.

128949[/snapback]

I will add that to my reading list. I saw it on City Confidential and have always wanted to read it but forgot about it. Thanks for the recomendation!