(OT) Best Buy

gantrules

My 27" TV (piece of crap Daewoo) blew up last week after 2 years of service. I never buy expensive TV's simply b/c I'm cheap.

So, I went up to Best Buy and bought a 27" SONY WEGA flat screen. Love it. And it was only $350.00. No HDTV simply b/c I didn't want to spend the extra money.

But, if you are in the market for a TV they have a special going on where there is no interest until January 2007. I try not to charge anything...but that was just way to good to pass up.

I picked up a Panasonic 28" Flat Screen last year for £500 (over $1000) - now you're telling me you get a Sony WEGA for less than £200?? DAMN MAN....

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: ultra competitive american goods pricing

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: price of living in the UK

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: very favourable exchange rate that i cannot take advantage of

Man, I didn't realize there was that big of a savings.

The same thing in the 32" was $604.00. To me it wasn't worth it when it was almost twice as much.

Also, I've decided to never take my wife with me when buying electronics.

I was at the store for nearly 4 hours because I had to make her understand why we were better off with the 27" flat screen that a 32" regular tube.

Typical woman. Bigger is better.

And wouldn't you know now she loves it.

Man, I didn't realize there was that big of a savings.

The same thing in the 32" was $604.00. To me it wasn't worth it when it was almost twice as much.

Also, I've decided to never take my wife with me when buying electronics.

I was at the store for nearly 4 hours because I had to make her understand why we were better off with the 27" flat screen that a 32" regular tube.

128796[/snapback]

Flate tube is the way to go... I have a 36" regular tube in the living room, and a small 20" flat tube in my bedroom. The flat tube picture is so much sharper... i love it.

IMO, today's consumer electronics are not what they used to be. Price drives quality downward. Had a Panasonic Microwave for 9 years. The replacement Samsung lasted two. Had (actually have) an RCA tv over 19 years old, now used in my basement. It's living room GE replacement lasted a year and a half - now replaced with a Toshiba tube flat-screen 20 incher.

I do like Best Buy. Great return policy (Ohh, Yeah? Really? Like Wow! Oh, ok, here ya go, man! No problem!). :rolleyes:

My 27" TV (piece of crap Daewoo) blew up last week after 2 years of service. I never buy expensive TV's simply b/c I'm cheap.

So, I went up to Best Buy and bought a 27" SONY WEGA flat screen. Love it. And it was only $350.00. No HDTV simply b/c I didn't want to spend the extra money.

But, if you are in the market for a TV they have a special going on where there is no interest until January 2007. I try not to charge anything...but that was just way to good to pass up.

128743[/snapback]

We have both a 36" Sony Wega (weight - forget it! 300 lbs give or take) and when the kids game room TV died after many years of solid service, I replaced it with a 27" Sony Wega (Best Buy) and paid $319.00. Of all the TV's we have (7), the 27" probably has the best overall PQ and the 36" one cost $1100.00 more.

Haven't sprung for HD yet (cost), but someday.....

I do like Best Buy. Great return policy (Ohh, Yeah? Really? Like Wow! Oh, ok, here ya go, man! No problem!). ;)

You might want to check that again. They're starting to charge 15% restocking fees on EVERYTHING you return...

http://www.slickdeals.net/forums/t52221.ht...light=buy+devil

It began enforcing a restocking fee of 15% of the purchase price on returned merchandise.

Basically, Best Buy doesn't want you as a customer if you're a smart shopper. And they lump in illegal practices (ie: buying a product, getting the rebate, then returning it - not that I see how you can do that since rebates take the UPC symbol...) with customers who browse online to find the best prices.

I try avoiding Best Buy and have for a few years, as their customer service has been pitiful. They wouldn't even let me exchange a full-screen DVD that I received for my brithday for the wide-screen equivalent. :rolleyes:

CW

128796[/snapback]

actually, it was the opposite for me...i took her to stereo advantage and I wanted the 32 and she wanted the 27...she won and hence i'm stuck looking at a 600 dollar 27 inch tv...the 32 was only 200 more :rolleyes:

You might want to check that again.  They're starting to charge 15% restocking fees on EVERYTHING you return...

128848[/snapback]

Dude, don't let them treat you like a doormat. I bought a laptop from them months ago. When I realized that for the same price I could get a desktop, a TV and a surround sound system, i took it back. For the $1400 they wanted to keep 15% for "restocking"... I almost laughed in their face. They insisted it was store policy. I insisted it was my policy not to pay assinine restocking fees. People behind me in line were ready to take my life, but after 27 minutes (and yes, I remember it was 27 minutes, because I was missing Jeopardy) and talking to TWO managers, I got 100% of that money back. To me, that 27 minutes was worth $210.

Dude, don't let them treat you like a doormat. I bought a laptop from them months ago. When I realized that for the same price I could get a desktop, a TV and a surround sound system, i took it back. For the $1400 they wanted to keep 15% for "restocking"... I almost laughed in their face. They insisted it was store policy. I insisted it was my policy not to pay assinine restocking fees. People behind me in line were ready to take my life, but after 27 minutes (and yes, I remember it was 27 minutes, because I was missing Jeopardy) and talking to TWO managers, I got 100% of that money back. To me, that 27 minutes was worth $210.

128857[/snapback]

I talked to a couple of managers who did nothing, and I spent maybe 15 minutes with them. Finally, I asked them, "What's to stop me from bringing this movie in after Xmas [6 months later] when you have a lenient exchange policy, and getting the widescreen at that time?"

Them: "You can't do that because we know you didn't get it for Xmas."

Me: "Are you actually going to remember who I am in 6 months?"

Them: "Yes, we won't allow you to do that."

Guess what I did?

I don't think I've shopped there since...

CW

You might want to check that again.  They're starting to charge 15% restocking fees on EVERYTHING you return...

http://www.slickdeals.net/forums/t52221.ht...light=buy+devil

Basically, Best Buy doesn't want you as a customer if you're a smart shopper.  And they lump in illegal practices (ie: buying a product, getting the rebate, then returning it - not that I see how you can do that since rebates take the UPC symbol...) with customers who browse online to find the best prices.

I try avoiding Best Buy and have for a few years, as their customer service has been pitiful.  They wouldn't even let me exchange a full-screen DVD that I received for my brithday for the wide-screen equivalent. :rolleyes:

CW

128848[/snapback]

They got spanked a few years ago for what you depict. They've changed. And be mindful that there are plenty of "honest Americans" out there who will buy a product for a weekend or so of enjoyment, and then return it... ;) Two-way street...

I didn't know about the 15% restocking on everything, but I bought a laptop and service plan from bestbuy for my lab about 2 months ago...when we found out we could get a thinkpad from elsewhere cheaper 2 days later, i attempted to return it...holy crap did they give me trouble on the return (we never opened the box)...they called over the manager and everythign which made no sense to me at all...they wouldn't let me return it...in the end, i guess they got all those people there to try to bully me away, but when i wouldn't budge, they finally took it back for a full return

as for returning movies, well, they hate me...last time i tried to exchange a gift movie for another one, they told me i wasn't allowed to do it anymore (after checking my ID)

i am one of the shoppers they hate..i browse their store, play with their stevestojan and then buy it online

their employees don't even want to be there...but that's fine with me..i almost gave them my business yesterday for a chest freezer, but since the employees were so nonchalant and didn't seem to give a care or have any knowledge of their products, i went to lowes instead

crap...the above was me

somehow logged out

anyway, i can't understand buying electronics locally anymore...although the ridiculous coupon deals from 5 years back no longer exist, i find i can still save a good amount buying online...no sales tax either (unless you're going to fumble out every receipt for your taxes)

IMO, today's consumer electronics are not what they used to be. Price drives quality downward. Had a Panasonic Microwave for 9 years. The replacement Samsung lasted two. Had (actually have) an RCA tv over 19 years old, now used in my basement. It's living room GE replacement lasted a year and a half - now replaced with a Toshiba tube flat-screen 20 incher.

I do like Best Buy. Great return policy (Ohh, Yeah? Really? Like Wow! Oh, ok, here ya go, man! No problem!). :rolleyes:

128807[/snapback]

Not really. You just have to spend money to get the good stuff. My Maytag appliances work spectacularly well.

I didn't know about the 15% restocking on everything, but I bought a laptop and service plan from bestbuy for my lab about 2 months ago...when we found out we could get a thinkpad from elsewhere cheaper 2 days later, i attempted to return it...holy crap did they give me trouble on the return (we never opened the box)...they called over the manager and everythign which made no sense to me at all...they wouldn't let me return it...in the end, i guess they got all those people there to try to bully me away, but when i wouldn't budge, they finally took it back for a full return

as for returning movies, well, they hate me...last time i tried to exchange a gift movie for another one, they told me i wasn't allowed to do it anymore (after checking my ID)

i am one of the shoppers they hate..i browse their store, play with their stevestojan and then buy it online

their employees don't even want to be there...but that's fine with me..i almost gave them my business yesterday for a chest freezer, but since the employees were so nonchalant and didn't seem to give a care or have any knowledge of their products, i went to lowes instead

128922[/snapback]

They are a warehouse store. For what they pay and the way they treat their employees, you'd be lucky to find 3 people in the store who know ANYTHING about electronics. It's actually scary.

Of course, the fact that everything in the store is marked up over double...

I bought one of those Monster Home Entertainment Surge Protection Systems a couple of weeks ago. List price was $199. My son's employee discount knocked it down to $95 (cost +5%).

Not really.  You just have to spend money to get the good stuff.  My Maytag appliances work spectacularly well.

128928[/snapback]

spectacularly? Isn't that a pretty strong adjective for an appliance? I mean, either your fridge stays cold or it doesn't. You washing machine cleans the clothes and spins em fairly damp or it doesn't....

but spectacular????

:rolleyes:

They got spanked a few years ago for what you depict. They've changed.  And be mindful that there are plenty of "honest Americans" out there who will buy a product for a weekend or so of enjoyment, and then return it... ;)  Two-way street...

128920[/snapback]

They actually ENCOURAGED that behavior with me....

Three years ago, I was looking for a new PDA. I was pretty sure that I wanted the Palm N760C, but wanted to try it out first. I went to Best Buy and they had the model, but it was locked in some metal contraption. I could see part of the screen, press the buttons, but that was it. Keep in mind that this thing cost $500. Well, I asked if I could try it out. They said I could use it in the metal thing that was attached to the counter. Umm, it's a handheld device, shouldn't I be able to hold it in my hand? Otherwise, what's the point? You know what they told me?

"Well, you could buy it and then just return it."

:rolleyes:;)

"With no restocking fee or anything?"

"Yup, you can get a full refund on it."

:blush::lol:

"You want me to buy it and then bring it back?"

"Yup!"

:lol::D

So I did... Bought it from Best Buy, tried it out, and returned it. Ended up buying the exact same thing from Dell for cheaper. Assuming the open box sells for 15% less than new, they lost $75, all because they didn't want to let me try it out at the store. I don't get it...

CW