2pm presser today

Reed83HOF

Updated: January 19, 2010, 9:05 AM ET

Source: Bills close to hiring GaileyComment Email Print Share ESPN.com news services

The Buffalo Bills are close to hiring former Dallas Cowboys and Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey as their new coach, a team source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Asked if the announcement would come Tuesday, the team source said, "I believe so."

The Bills are said to be impressed with how Gailey has brought teams to the playoffs with quarterbacks such as Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart and Jay Fiedler. In fact, Bill Cowher -- whom the Bills had been courting to replace the fired Dick Jauron -- highly recommended Gailey to the Bills.

Cowher planned to make Gailey his assistant head coach/offensive coordinator if he came back. Gailey has coached in four Super Bowls and has had his teams go to the playoffs in 11 of his 15 NFL seasons.

Gailey was coach of the Cowboys in 1998-99, following Barry Switzer, reaching the playoffs in both seasons but failing to win a playoff game. He coached Georgia Tech from 2002 through 2007 and led the Yellow Jackets to a bowl game in all six seasons at the helm.

Gailey has also worked as an offensive coordinator for the Denver Broncos, Miami Dolphins and Kansas City Chiefs, who hiredf him in 2008 and relieved him of his playcalling duties after three preseason games in 2009.

When one candidate after another backed out, the Bills kept turning back to Gailey at Cowher's recommendation. The more they thought about it, the more they liked it.

I would really love Gailey to come out and say "now I know that fans have been tossing names out there and I am here to tell you that although I have not won a Super Bowl, I will do everything I can to change that within my time here."

I don't care if this guy lies through his teeth, he better damn well make a good impression and show a little fire. He knows he was last on the list, the fans know he was last on the list so how about SOMETHING at the presser to inject some life into this doormat.

Let's just hope that he has some good relationships with some quality coordinators.

It is the same exact thing!

Times wrong buddy...change the time in title and yeah I agree it then it should be in there, but it isn't as of yet...therefore the time's off by an hour and people will tune in an hour late to hear about our uninspired choice....

I would really love Gailey to come out and say "now I know that fans have been tossing names out there and I am here to tell you that although I have not won a Super Bowl, I will do everything I can to change that within my time here."

I don't care if this guy lies through his teeth, he better damn well make a good impression and show a little fire. He knows he was last on the list, the fans know he was last on the list so how about SOMETHING at the presser to inject some life into this doormat.

Let's just hope that he has some good relationships with some quality coordinators.

I am not happy about this hire and I am not sure what my interest level will be in this team next season...will have to see what the rest of the staff, the FA period and draft look like...

But I cannot take another Jauron like attitude around here....we need someone with fire and basic football intelligence...

So you could have posted in THAT thread that there is a new time scheduled, instead of starting ANOTHER thread for it!

I believe the MODS would agree with me on this one. But, do we really need to argue?

Do you get points for starting active threads or something?

Kind of like finding a lost item in the last place you look? It's only the last place because the search stops there.

Chan The Man has my very best wishes!

Kind of like finding a lost item in the last place you look? It's only the last place because the search stops there.

Chan The Man has my very best wishes!

What if he just threw an upper cut to Russ and then said "where's the mic"? Now THAT would be sweet. Time to move forward and get this train back on track.