NAACP says blacks have lower credit scores

Believe me, you can learn a lot about someone by looking at their credit report and driving record and yes it can help you make a hiring decision. In my experience the blemishes you find on driving and credit reports do often translate into behavior and performance in the workplace.

I am not disputiing that... Yet, it is like I said to KD about certain jobs. On another note, the studies are must be totally wrong then?

IMO, the system is not going to square away the "foul balls"... Just make more "foul balls" out of people.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me ask you a question. If I can't manage my money do you want me managing yours? Poor credit often, not always, shows some level of irresponsibility. I don't think there are many companies that use this as their sole criteria when making a hire but it should be taken into consideration.

I understand with regard to certain jobs. You are a financial advisor, you better have good credit, manage your money well, AND HAVE FAITH in the system.

What happens if you don't want to be part of the credit system (also a job that is totally not related to it)... Should one suffer because they have no credit?

And anyway, nobody else (to a certain extent) manages my money than me... So I would never ask you.

Again... I have absolutely ZERO faith in this parasitic system. Of course such a system wants a "check" that keeps everybody in-line and paying. People need to break away from the system, use it for what it is worth/to their advantage before it takes advantage of them. One can "play the game" yet, not get trapped in it. Anybody who feels trapped in it should revolt against the system.

I understand with regard to certain jobs. You are a financial advisor, you better have good credit, manage your money well, AND HAVE FAITH in the system.

What happens if you don't want to be part of the credit system (also a job that is totally not related to it)... Should one suffer because they have no credit?

And anyway, nobody else (to a certain extent) manages my money than me... So I would never ask you.

Again... I have absolutely ZERO faith in this parasitic system. Of course such a system wants a "check" that keeps everybody in-line and paying. People need to break away from the system, use it for what it is worth/to their advantage before it takes advantage of them. One can "play the game" yet, not get trapped in it. Anybody who feels trapped in it should revolt against the system.

You're assuming that the credit check is the final say on whether or not someone gets hired. It's taken into consideration along with all other information gathered in the interview and may tip that scale one way or another but it's not the deciding factor. Just an FYI we don't check credit scores we check mainly to see if anyone has anything in collections. We're not offering them a loan. And this whole parasitic system crap sure is some pretty major paranoia on your part.

Exactly. It is a reflection of character and character matters. Same as a driving record which is also used often as a screening tool.

It really is not. These two things are not even remotely the same. Please do some research on this for your own information; I think you will change your mind (somewhat) if/when you find out how a credit score is actually derived.

It really is not. These two things are not even remotely the same. Please do some research on this for your own information; I think you will change your mind (somewhat) if/when you find out how a credit score is actually derived.

You're right. Credit scores are a better measure of character than driving records. A momentary lapse of judgment on the road does not mean someone has bad character while months of credit card spending that can't be paid back is.

You're right. Credit scores are a better measure of character than driving records. A momentary lapse of judgment on the road does not mean someone has bad character while months of credit card spending that can't be paid back is.

It is a measure of character, but not a determing factor. Credit scores can be affected for many reasons, character being one of those, however there are many outside factors that can alter credit scores that are outside the control of many of these people. Such as job loss and home price depreciation. Many people look at their homes like a business, if the value of the home is depreciating rapidly, then in some cases it doesn't make sense to keep paying on the home if there is little to no hope of recouping your original investment.

Many successful businesses operate this way, if they see that they have a non performing asset, it just makes good sense to let it go and focus on the rest of their business. Is that a reflection of their character? I would say no, it's just a business decision.

Also, if you look at people that have had steady employment for X amount of years, which gives them a justifiable reason to give them enough of a sense of security to take on some new debt, and now they lose their jobs, does that mean this is a knock on their character? Sure you can make the argument that it isn't a good idea to take on more debt, and there is merit to that POV, but the reality is that most Americans are programmed to think this way, and it is more of a macro issue than anything else.

I don't blame companies for looking at people's credit scores to determine if they are making a good investment in the people they are hiring, but it would be sad to see them use it in a beauracratic sense to where they would automatically eliminate a pool of potential good hires just because they didn't "qualify" because of a "credit" metric that they implemented.

It is a measure of character, but not a determing factor.

I don't blame companies for looking at people's credit scores to determine if they are making a good investment in the people they are hiring, but it would be sad to see them use it in a beauracratic sense to where they would automatically eliminate a pool of potential good hires just because they didn't "qualify" because of a "credit" metric that they implemented.

Agreed. I don't care for it at all to be honest but it's not the worst data point, especially for financial positions.

Rersearch? I've hired more than 100 people in my lifetime. Don't need anyone's research. I look at more than a number. Look for judgments, defaults, suits and wage garnishments. These can be red flags, especially after interviewing a person. Believe it or not, people are not always honest and forthcoming in interviews.

Credit scores are a bull **** measuring device of someone's reliability and charachter becuase not everything that negitively affects your rating has to do with one poorly following terms of credit cards and loans.

Well if you read this thread you see that when hiring we just don't look at the score and make a decision. It's not the score it's what's in the report (i.e. things in collections, bankruptcies etc) that may put someone of equal qualifications ahead of someone else. With my firm if you have anything in collections that results in an immediate decline, but my industry is unique regarding that.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I employed the guy in the article in link below. We hired him based on the determination he expressed in the interview. His credit report was a train wreck and he had a criminal record. Seemed like a guy we could give a 2nd chance. We were wrong. We fired him back in 2005.

http://www.wftv.com/news/15846319/detail.html

In the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, $70k will buy you a house in north Minneapolis... But no kevlar vest to stay alive. :w00t::w00t:

You need to come to my town... 70k will you buy a modest house. Not a mansion, but modest house in a nice village. Now I am not saying it would be perfect, but every area can have its issues. No kevlar vest needed though.

:w00t:

Believe me, you can learn a lot about someone by looking at their credit report and driving record and yes it can help you make a hiring decision. In my experience the blemishes you find on driving and credit reports do often translate into behavior and performance in the workplace.

I guess Lane Kiffin should have never got the SC job

:blink:

You need to come to my town... 70k will you buy a modest house. Not a mansion, but modest house in a nice village. Now I am not saying it would be perfect, but every area can have its issues. No kevlar vest needed though.

:censored:

I think it's rather humorous that you're telling me to move near you - when your name is "Exiled" in Illinois. :blink:

I think it's rather humorous that you're telling me to move near you - when your name is "Exiled" in Illinois. :thumbsup:

:blink::lol:

Didn't mean it to come off that way. I did say:

"You need to come to my town."

As in to just check out the prices (I suppose you can do that on the internet now... Shows my age)... It os amazing how low things are going in areas. I was down in FLA and noticed new houses being built for under 200k.

It may be cheaper in BFLO though...

:blink: I was thinking the same thing-But on the other hand the state has highly organized community's-or did :thumbsup:

Still very organized. I don't know what yo mean by that. IL is mostly rural with a lot of tight knit communities. The one thing about this area is that it is geographically blessed for an economy... Unlike BFLO whose economy lived and died by its geography. Many people call this place "home" just like BFLO for a reason. IMO, it is just like BFLO (down hominess) except very large. Here not many places are taken over by transplants from other areas.

Still very organized. I don't know what yo mean by that. IL is mostly rural with a lot of tight knit communities. The one thing about this area is that it is geographically blessed for an economy... Unlike BFLO whose economy lived and died by its geography. Many people call this place "home" just like BFLO for a reason. IMO, it is just like BFLO (down hominess) except very large. Here not many places are taken over by transplants from other areas.

Been to Aurora lately? The population of Mexicans (legal and not) has exploded.

I do agree that Illinois overall has a nice feel.