*Movie Alert* "Big Fan"

ajzepp

I've been waiting to see this film since I first read about it in the middle part of last year. It's written and directed by the same guy who wrote "The Wrestler". It didn't get a lot of press, but I know there are a lot of other TBD'ers like me who love sports themed films....particularly one that involves the NFL and the experience of the fan.

It just came out on DVD, but the cool thing is that it's a new release that is also available via Netflix streaming. They don't often have newer ones available instantly, but this one is. I'm going to check it out this weekend, so if any of you guys do, please chime in with your non-spoiler reviews.

Big Fan

I watched it last night (streaming through my ps3). In order to resist all spoilers until later let me just say I loved every second of the film.

:thumbsup:

I love that Netflix is streaming through the PS3 now....that rocks! Also glad to know you loved the film...I can't wait to see it!

got my netflix membership late last night, got my ps3 today. its amazing how quick and easy it is. :thumbsup:

(also picked up madden10, little big planet, and a couple blueray movies)

i saw the trailer for Big Fan in the theatre and have been waiting for it to come out on dvd. will definitely be watching this week!

got my netflix membership late last night, got my ps3 today. its amazing how quick and easy it is. :thumbsup:

(also picked up madden10, little big planet, and a couple blueray movies)

i saw the trailer for Big Fan in the theatre and have been waiting for it to come out on dvd. will definitely be watching this week!

Let us know what you think, man! And pick up GTA IV for the PS3 :thumbsup:

I watched it last night (streaming through my ps3). In order to resist all spoilers until later let me just say I loved every second of the film.

Just got done watching it....that movie rocked! I liked it better than The Wrestler. I had no idea Patton Oswalt could act that well...great job by him! I'll definitely be watching this one again in the near future ;)

Just got done watching it....that movie rocked! I liked it better than The Wrestler. I had no idea Patton Oswalt could act that well...great job by him! I'll definitely be watching this one again in the near future :rolleyes:

I know, right? Great soundtrack too. But I suppose the real question is how many Paul From Staten Islands do you know?

When I read the premise of this movie it reminded me a lot of "A Fan's Notes" by Frederick Exley.

And I think Patton Oswalt is underrated as a comedian and actor....never thought I'd say that.

I never really thought of him as an actor before this film, but he is a brilliant stand up. Easily one of the 5 best working today.

I never really thought of him as an actor before this film, but he is a brilliant stand up. Easily one of the 5 best working today.

Completely agreed about Patton Oswalt being a top 5 comic. hes been at it for years and has been consistently funny and edgy. glad to see that someone with talent like that is doing things that can get him recognized.

btw, day 2 of the PS3 and i cant believe how amazing this netflix streaming is. it is literally making your own on demand menu from a huge selection of movies and tv shows! i guess this kind of stuff, and the iphone, are trade offs for flying cars. ehh, ill take it! :rolleyes:

Completely agreed about Patton Oswalt being a top 5 comic. hes been at it for years and has been consistently funny and edgy. glad to see that someone with talent like that is doing things that can get him recognized.

btw, day 2 of the PS3 and i cant believe how amazing this netflix streaming is. it is literally making your own on demand menu from a huge selection of movies and tv shows! i guess this kind of stuff, and the iphone, are trade offs for flying cars. ehh, ill take it! :rolleyes:

man, just this weekend I saw Big fan, a really great French art film called Woman is a Woman and two episodes of the original battlestar gallactica. Nearly as cool as the promised jetpacks.

I'm glad to hear more people saying this as of late...I finally got an xbox about a month or two ago and the minute I linked my Netflix account and started playing around with streaming, I was in heaven! It's sort of surprised me that more people haven't chimed in about this, cause it's a really inexpensive way to add a ton more value to your netflix subscription.

BTW, if you guys want to see some amazing PQ (given the source material, that is), fire up some of the original Star Trek episodes available for streaming. We're talking a TV show from like 40+ years ago, and the PQ is amazing!

You can definitely tell he had his hand on some of the writing in this film...that exchange with him mom about the masturbating had me pissing myself! We've heard the "rosie palm" joke a million times, but the way they wrote that scene with him mom dissing on him was classic!

I've been waiting to see this film since I first read about it in the middle part of last year. It's written and directed by the same guy who did "The Wrestler" with Mickey Rourke.

I haven't seen Big Fan but it's misleading to say it's "done" by the same guy who "did" "The Wrestler." "The Wrestler" was directed by Darren Aronofsky (who also wrote and directed "The Fountain", "Requiem for a Dream" and "Pi" - all excellent films.)

Big Fan was written and directed by the same guy who wrote "The Wrestler." Might be a small quibble for most but it's a big difference to me.

Anyway, I'll check out Big Fan when I get a chance - sounds pretty funny. And yeah, I also love streaming netflix though I barely have time to keep up with stuff I DVR and rent on Blu Ray as it is.

I haven't seen Big Fan but it's misleading to say it's "done" by the same guy who "did" "The Wrestler." "The Wrestler" was directed by Darren Aronofsky (who also wrote and directed "The Fountain", "Requiem for a Dream" and "Pi" - all excellent films.)

Big Fan was written and directed by the same guy who wrote "The Wrestler." Might be a small quibble for most but it's a big difference to me.

Anyway, I'll check out Big Fan when I get a chance - sounds pretty funny. And yeah, I also love streaming netflix though I barely have time to keep up with stuff I DVR and rent on Blu Ray as it is.

Tis fixed