Coaches don't win SBs with new teams: not that simple

Guest chandler81

Guest chandler81

This idea that the Bills would somehow be making a mistake by hiring a coach who has won a Super Bowl with another team has bothered me, it just didn't seem logical. So I did some research and, while it is true no coach has done it, the real picture is more complex. First off, before the Super Bowl there was a little game called the NFL championship and Weeb Ewbank won two of those with Baltimore before winning a SB with the Jets. So, in reality, winning an NFL championship with two different teams has been done. Secondly, many coaches who have lost championship games have gone on to win one. This list includes men like Lombardi and Shula (who actually lost five (5) championship games!). Other coaches have won championship games with one team and then gone on to lose one with another, which clearly would be a step up for the

Bills. This list includes Ray Flaherty from the 40s and, in a way, Bud Grant and Marv Levy who won six CFL championships between them and, of course, lost eight SBs. (Trestman anyone?)

The bottom line of this post is to say please don't use the"never won SBs with 2 teams" excuse as a reason to be happy if the Bills miss out on one of the available SB coaches. The reality is, only about half of the SB winning coaches have ever coached another team, and many of those that did (Lombardi, Stram, for example) only coached another year or two.

This idea that the Bills would somehow be making a mistake by hiring a coach who has won a Super Bowl with another team has bothered me, it just didn't seem logical. So I did some research and, while it is true no coach has done it, the real picture is more complex. First off, before the Super Bowl there was a little game called the NFL championship and Weeb Ewbank won two of those with Baltimore before winning a SB with the Jets. So, in reality, winning an NFL championship with two different teams has been done. Secondly, many coaches who have lost championship games have gone on to win one. This list includes men like Lombardi and Shula (who actually lost five (5) championship games!). Other coaches have won championship games with one team and then gone on to lose one with another, which clearly would be a step up for the

Bills. This list includes Ray Flaherty from the 40s and, in a way, Bud Grant and Marv Levy who won six CFL championships between them and, of course, lost eight SBs. (Trestman anyone?)

The bottom line of this post is to say please don't use the"never won SBs with 2 teams" excuse as a reason to be happy if the Bills miss out on one of the available SB coaches. The reality is, only about half of the SB winning coaches have ever coached another team, and many of those that did (Lombardi, Stram, for example) only coached another year or two.

This is kind of a strawman that you just put up and tore down, no?

I ask because I hadn't heard anyone make this complaint, but perhaps I missed it...

In any event, I think all of us here are striving for something that's above-average at this point.

Guest chandler81
This is kind of a strawman that you just put up and tore down, no?

I ask because I hadn't heard anyone make this complaint, but perhaps I missed it...

In any event, I think all of us here are striving for something that's above-average at this point.

I've read it plenty of times.

Weeb did it 41 years ago and no one since. It may speak to their age, or their level of hunger, but regardless you can't change the fact (until some coach wins two superbowls with two teams).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...ches/index.html

That said, I'd still rather have a champion coach than not.

Guest chandler81
Weeb did it 41 years ago and no one since. It may speak to their age, or their level of hunger, but regardless you can't change the fact (until some coach wins two superbowls with two teams).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...ches/index.html

That said, I'd still rather have a champion coach than not.

No, can't change any "facts;" it is what it is. But I'm surprized a "fansince61" would ignore pre-SB NFL history. Regardless, as the SI article points out, Holmgren and Parcells DID return to the SB, albeit as losers, in the "SB era." And since I can barely remember what it is like to win a playoff game, I'd take losing a SB, for now. We do agree that a championship coach is the most likely way to get there.

As I stated the last time we discussed this point, the mission is to hire a Head Coach who gives the team the potential to win it all. It doesn't matter if they have won the SB before or not. The main thing is... do they know how to run the overall field operation?

When the organization's management makes it their business to get to know who the coaches are around the league and what their strengths are, they usually hire winners. When the team management operates at the periphery, they don't know who is worth hiring (as Wilson admitted). This is a huge disadvantage for a team, because a guy might be a great positional coach but not really be qualified for HC.

No, can't change any "facts;" it is what it is. But I'm surprized a "fansince61" would ignore pre-SB NFL history. Regardless, as the SI article points out, Holmgren and Parcells DID return to the SB, albeit as losers, in the "SB era." And since I can barely remember what it is like to win a playoff game, I'd take losing a SB, for now. We do agree that a championship coach is the most likely way to get there.

Newbie, change your screen name now!

:unsure:

Sorry but 11 out of 12 HC's have won SB's with a team and failed to do so with another team, and the one guy who did did it 40years ago. And most of them were better coaches than Cowher. That's one hard trend to buck.

Guest chandler81
Newbie, change your screen name now!

:unsure:

Sorry you feel the need to swear; I'm hardly the reason two almost identical names were approved.