Trestman

rpcolosi

this guy has had a pretty successful career on the offensive side of hte ball. at the VERY least he deserves a chance at NFL OC again but i think he should really be considered for HC. Marv has apparently been "mentoring" him as well, which isn't a bad thing.

he seemed to have a big impact on kosar, was with the 49ers during SY's best years, helped SCOTT MITCHELL and Jake PLummer have good seasons. and he was the OC of those Super Bowl raiders in 2002.

frankly, i think he could be the best "diamond in the rough" candidate out there. he has been an assistant HC at the NFL level and has prior head coaching experience, all be it, north of the border.

in addition, it might help sell more tickets to loyal CFL fans who follow him and the alouettes.

All i'm saying is we don't need the same thing again - another 4-3 defensive "guru." we need a shot in the arm. Montreal has helped us before (see polian and marv) and the CFL as a whole has (flutie).... so why are more of us not pushing for this? his resume, especially in the passing game, is much better then schott jrs...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Trestman

this guy has had a pretty successful career on the offensive side of hte ball. at the VERY least he deserves a chance at NFL OC again but i think he should really be considered for HC. Marv has apparently been "mentoring" him as well, which isn't a bad thing.

he seemed to have a big impact on kosar, was with the 49ers during SY's best years, helped SCOTT MITCHELL and Jake PLummer have good seasons. and he was the OC of those Super Bowl raiders in 2002.

frankly, i think he could be the best "diamond in the rough" candidate out there. he has been an assistant HC at the NFL level and has prior head coaching experience, all be it, north of the border.

in addition, it might help sell more tickets to loyal CFL fans who follow him and the alouettes.

All i'm saying is we don't need the same thing again - another 4-3 defensive "guru." we need a shot in the arm. Montreal has helped us before (see polian and marv) and the CFL as a whole has (flutie).... so why are more of us not pushing for this? his resume, especially in the passing game, is much better then schott jrs...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Trestman

I'll take Homer Simpson right about now.

Trestman is a west coast offense guy. And, not a very good one at that. He might be able to school the defenses in the CFL because he's been around some good mentors... and the CFL is a spread it out passing league.

In Buffalo, from November on, a pass happy offense would hit a wall very quickly.

Bills need a coach that will instill toughness... both offense and defense... something that we've not seen in quite some time. Trestman ain't the guy that will do that. But, if it will make you happy, we can interview him.

I love it how whenever a position coach or coordinator works with talented players, that they're credited with said players success. Like Trestman working with Jerry Rice in Oakland.

The guy is in Canada for a reason. He's not going to be Bud Grant 2.0 and come to the NFL and produce winners because he just isn't good enough. Everyone talks about Levy, but for goodness sakes Marv had a ton of talent to work with after moving into the NFL with Buffalo. Trestman in Buffalo would be worse than Tom Cable in Oakland or David Shula in Cincinnati.

I love it how whenever a position coach or coordinator works with talented players, that they're credited with said players success. Like Trestman working with Jerry Rice in Oakland.

The guy is in Canada for a reason. He's not going to be Bud Grant 2.0 and come to the NFL and produce winners because he just isn't good enough. Everyone talks about Levy, but for goodness sakes Marv had a ton of talent to work with after moving into the NFL with Buffalo. Trestman in Buffalo would be worse than Tom Cable in Oakland or David Shula in Cincinnati.

Trestman has hot a decade ago. Then people realized he had the personality of a rock.

It is pitiful how far our expectations have fallen... :devil:

BillsVet, You are an excellent poster so I'm a bit surprised how dismissive you are of Trestman's accomplishments. As I said earlier, I wouldn't hire him as head coach but aside from his very gypsy-like career (he never seems to stay in one place for more than 3 seasons), he has accomplished a great deal. Here's an abridged version of his Wiki entry. I find it to be pretty impressive.

"In 1983 Trestman was named quarterbacks coach. That year quarterback Bernie Kosar passed for 2,329 yards and Miami won the national championship. The next year Kosar completed 262 passes for 3,642 yards, both school records...In Cleveland he again coached Kosar and the team finished 10-6 and made the playoffs. He was promoted to offensive coordinator in 1989. That year Kosar passed for 3,533 yards and 18 TDs, wide receiver Webster Slaughter had a franchise record 1,236 receiving yards, and the Browns made it to the AFC Championship game...In 1990, Trestman returned to Minnesota as quarterbacks coach for the Vikings. He spent two years there and then left coaching for three years (the Vikes were 9th in offense in '90 and 13th in offense in '91)...Trestman returned to the NFL in 1995 as quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator with San Francisco, where he served in that capacity through 1996. The first year he was there the 49ers led the NFL with 457 points scored, 644 pass attempts and 4,779 passing yards. His second year they were 3rd in offense...Trestman moved to the Detroit Lions and quarterbacks coach in 1997. That year Lion's quarterback Scott Mitchell passed for 3,484 yards, second most in team history...In 1998 he was with the Arizona Cardinals as quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator. That year quarterback Jake Plummer threw for 3,737 yards, and the Cardinals made the playoffs for the first time since 1982 and won their first post season game in 51 years...He next went to the Oakland Raiders in 2001 as the quarterbacks coach. In 2002 he was promoted to offensive coordinator and the Raiders led the NFL in total offense with 389.8 yards per game and passing yards with 279.7 per game. That Raider team made it to the Super Bowl but lost to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers...Trestman spent the 2004 season with the Miami Dolphins and in 2005 he returned to college football as the North Carolina State Wolfpack offensive coordinator where he was known for being a conservative play-caller...On December 18, 2007, Trestman was confirmed as the head coach for the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League. The Alouettes narrowly lost 22-14 to the Calgary Stampeders in the 2008 Grey Cup championship game. At the conclusion of the season, he was nominated for the CFL's Annis Stukus Award as the league's top coach, with Calgary's John Hufnagel winning...In 2009, Trestman led the Alouettes to the Grey Cup, winning with a thrilling field goal with no time left on the clock.After the season, it was announced that he was signed through the 2012 season as the head coach."

It's easy to say that successful coaches had great talent and that unsuccessful coaches had poor talent. The tricky part is figuring out which coaches did a great job with what they were given and which coaches "underachieved."

With the talent he has worked with, I think Trestman has done very well overall.

BillsVet, You are an excellent poster so I'm a bit surprised how dismissive you are of Trestman's accomplishments. As I said earlier, I wouldn't hire him as head coach but aside from his very gypsy-like career (he never seems to stay in one place for more than 3 seasons), he has accomplished a great deal. Here's an abridged version of his Wiki entry. I find it to be pretty impressive.

It's easy to say that successful coaches had great talent and that unsuccessful coaches had poor talent. The tricky part is figuring out which coaches did a great job with what they were given and which coaches "underachieved."

With the talent he has worked with, I think Trestman has done very well overall.

I'm dismissive because solid NFL coaches don't come from the CFL. Sure, someone will mention Levy and Bud Grant, but that was more than a generation ago. I'm also not one to live in absolutes, as in he was the reason for the success of those teams/players or he was an impediment.

Still, some people are capable of only going so far. Schonert was a QB coach, not a coordinator. Trestman seems like a guy who topped out as a coordinator. And last I heard, he preferred being a HC in the CFL than a coordinator or position coach in the NFL.