biting the bullet this weekend

DrDawkinstein

so after having myself convinced for the past year or so that i didnt want a PS3 since im not a gamer, ive changed my mind and will probably be picking one up this weekend. mostly for the Blue-ray player, and the fact that i can hook up a USB drive and play any music or movie file from there.

my question now is, what else should i know? anyone find any other cool things this machine is capable of? are there any other non-gamers that have one?

(advance thank you to the mods for allowing this to stay OTW for a little while before sending it to the black hole)

Buy COD Modern Warfare 2. You will not be dissapointed, and I wouldn't classify myself as a gamer by any stretch of the imagination. You probably already know this, but I think one of the best qualities about PS3 is the free online gaming service. This is the best way to play games like COD, NHL '10, Madden '10, etc IMO, and PS3 offers it for free, unlike 360.

so after having myself convinced for the past year or so that i didnt want a PS3 since im not a gamer, ive changed my mind and will probably be picking one up this weekend. mostly for the Blue-ray player, and the fact that i can hook up a USB drive and play any music or movie file from there.

my question now is, what else should i know? anyone find any other cool things this machine is capable of? are there any other non-gamers that have one?

(advance thank you to the mods for allowing this to stay OTW for a little while before sending it to the black hole)

If you have netflix you can get a disc that allows you to stream movies and tv shows. there is also a great Madden arcade game you can download off the playstation network for like $10 that is insanely fun (though the Bills are terrible on it)

My advice would be don't get sucked into buying the Official Playstation HDMI cable or some Monster Cable version.

I bought a PS3.... for my son..... for Christmas. I bought it mostly for the BluRay and ability to stream netflix, but we really love Tiger Woods golf too.

I bought an HDMI cable from Amazon for LESS THAN $4 and it serves the purpose as well as any more expensive one.

Here is a link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00123WZW...x_ya_oh_product

My advice would be don't get sucked into buying the Official Playstation HDMI cable or some Monster Cable version.

I bought a PS3.... for my son..... for Christmas. I bought it mostly for the BluRay and ability to stream netflix, but we really love Tiger Woods golf too.

I bought an HDMI cable from Amazon for LESS THAN $4 and it serves the purpose as well as any more expensive one.

Here is a link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00123WZW...x_ya_oh_product

thanks!

yeah, im well aware of the cable ripoffs thanks to Gizmodo exposing Monster cables.

If you're not really interested in the games, why not just buy a standalone BD player? You can find one that allows you to stream Netflix, watch movies from a USB drive, etc for a fraction of the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-BD60-B...0552&sr=8-1

That one doesn't do Netflix but I think does everything else (including streaming from Amazon).

Of course if you're looking for an excuse to play games, carry on. :wallbash: