Current Playoff Coaches and Cowher

A big name and former Super Bowl coach isn't always a gaurantee. In fact, its almost the opposite. Look at Lombardi, Gibbs, Parcells and Holmgrem's record with their new teams after they won their Super Bowls. All disappointing. Also, look at the current coaches of the eight remaining playoff teams (and their previous positions). Only two of them had previously been a head coach (and guess who one of them coached!!)

Jim Caldwell-Colts (coordinator)

John Harbaugh - Ravens (coordinator)

Sean Payton-Saints (coordinator)

Ken Wisenhunt -Cards (coordinator)

Rex Ryan-Jets (coordinator)

Brad Childress -Vikings (coordinator)

Norv Turner - Chargers (head coach, but came up a coordinator)

and of course...Wade Phillips - Cowboys (head coach, but came up a coordinator)

Hiring Cowher would make a splash, and he would certainly be a presence on the sideline. But, as I live in Pittsburgh, I can tell you that many of the locals, while they love Cowher, think he underachieved given the players and teams he had here. The difference bewteen Cowher being successful in Pittsburgh compared to Buffalo is that Steelers management runs a well run organization. If Cowher could come in and replicate the Steelers philosophy and organization, that would be great. (But wasn't that what Tom Donahoe was supposed to do when he came to Buffalo from Pittsburgh?).

Les Frazier doesn't excite me, nor did Perry Fewell for that matter. But given the Bills management structure, for better or worse, they have just as much of a shot at success or failure with a B-tier coordinator as they do with a big-name like Cowher. If the front office can't figure out how to pick good players, it really won't matter who the coach is.

One last comment - Mike Tomlin didn't excite too many people in Pittsburgh the day he was hired.