How much action is in an NFL game?

KRC

Interesting stuff Ken, Thanks!

I did an informal study on this a couple years ago, trying to reason how much time was actually spent playing vs. all the injuries to the Bills. (an anomaly that continues through this year.. :worthy: ) I came up with about 17 minutes of actual play, or nearly 8 minutes offense/defense. But there were too many intangibles such as time outs remaining late in the game, where a narrow lead was trying to be protected, etc.. 11 minutes -or approx. 5 actual minutes on offense/defense- boggles my mind! Especially when you consider that not every player engages in real contact every play. ie: WR just taking a DB away from a run play; a play action that traps a LB for a throw over his head, etc.

To me, it begs the question: How the he!! do the Bills get so banged up, so often?? B-)

To me, it begs the question: How the he!! do the Bills get so banged up, so often?? :blink:

Don't you think the nature of that action is more important than the amount of time? While itt may only take a split second to get hit by a Mack truck, my guess is that the injury would be severe.

Just watch a game and you can tell the percentage of deadtime to action is extreme. But 11 minutes out of 60 is shorter than I would have guessed. But thinking about it closer, it is about right. Thanks for the link!

What DirectTV should do is offer the games the following week to sunday ticket subscribers with the deadtime compressed out. Watching 4 games in an hour as opposed to 1 game in 3 hours has a lot of appeal to me.

anybody break that down to dollars/minute based on the league minimum?

How about someone figures out Maybin's $/minute of action based on his playing time?

Average game he was on the field for a handful of plays...shouldn't be too difficult.

So, KRC is THE Ken Crippen? The same Ken Crippen who is executive director of the Professional Football Researchers Association? The same Ken Crippen who has a collection of broadcasts that date back to the 1930s? The same Ken Crippen who's already been established as an accomplished author? Former Presidential candidate?

meh...

WTF did the WSJ come to you?

Congrats Mr. C....now you just need to get your mug on the jumbotron.

Interesting stuff there. Anyone catch that the Bills/Falcons game was one of the ones used in the sample? Some people may find this interesting...

CBS/Atlanta-Buffalo

NBC/Dallas-Washington

FOX/Seattle-Green Bay

ESPN/Chicago-Minnesota

The Bills/Falcons games had more footage of players standing around than any of the other games. So basically we have a team full of lazy slackers. We need a new coach badly.

So, KRC is THE Ken Crippen? The same Ken Crippen who is executive director of the Professional Football Researchers Association? The same Ken Crippen who has a collection of broadcasts that date back to the 1930s? The same Ken Crippen who's already been established as an accomplished author? Former Presidential candidate?

Yup.

meh...

My thoughts, exactly.

WTF did the WSJ come to you?

Bad Google search? He thought I was someone else?

Congrats Mr. C....now you just need to get your mug on the jumbotron.

I am not in Rubeo's league.

I remember talking so someone I worked with who was from England. He hated the NFL because it was boring and there was no action. I though he was crazy. Then I started paying attention to it and found out he was right. That's the reason why I don't watch too much football anymore.

I remember talking so someone I worked with who was from England. He hated the NFL because it was boring and there was no action. I though he was crazy. Then I started paying attention to it and found out he was right. That's the reason why I don't watch too much football anymore.

According to the article, even those of us who regularly watch football, don't watch very much football. :blink:

So what do the networks do with the other 174 minutes in a typical broadcast? Not surprisingly, commercials take up about an hour. As many as 75 minutes, or about 60% of the total air time, excluding commercials, is spent on shots of players huddling, standing at the line of scrimmage or just generally milling about between snaps.

So let's see,

11 minutes of action

60 minutes of commercials

$75 average ticket price (entire NFL, not just the Bills)

More than 5 times more commercials than action.

And on average, $6.81 per minute of action.

Who says the NFL does not know how to make money!!!

I know that the diehards will say "well, I need that time between plays and commercial time to look at replays and figure out what just happened". But it still is pretty funny when you break it down. :wallbash: