Which Organization To Donate Haitian Relief To?

Nanker

Doctors Without Borders is what wifey and I usually contribute to.

But she's heard American Red Cross is the preferred organization.

Any compelling reasons why ARC over any other organization?

I don't text to phone numbers because it strikes me as incredibly inefficient having an intermediary involved.

I know all organizations have huge expenses in generating the contributions - or they have other baggage, which is why ARC is not my preference.

Anyway, I hope you all reach into your pockets and donate to a very worthy cause - helping the disaster struck country of Haiti - by contributing generously to the recovery organization of your choice.

We only go around once in this life. Make a difference!

The big questions came up with ARC is that in previous disasters, the contributions went into their general fund, not specifically for the cause you were donating. In the end, money is fungible that they can make a valid argument that a donation is a donation and it helps them with all their causes, but people didn't like the lack of full disclosure.

FYI, our company recommended the following charities:

Yéle Haiti

The International Rescue Committee

UNICEF

The American Red Cross

Save the Children

http://twitter.com/RedCross

Text "Haiti" to 90999

It's really bad out there as you all know, and if you are able to help then this is an easy way to do it. It's to the Red Cross so it isn't a scam and you can feel somewhat secure that the money will get there and what they do is bill your $10 donation to your cell phone bill, quick and easy.

AmeriCares is big in my area, will have to see what they are doing. But in general, too much money is wasted on the bureaucracy in the ARC and other giant organizations. I prefer small, direct to the problem type charities, though don't know who that would be in this case.

After 9/11 I won't give to the Red Cross as I heard that the local chapters were keeping the $. I saw on 9/12 that the Salvation Army already had water and stuff set up for the people going through the rubble. I got my $300 tax rebate after the attack and sent it to the NYC chapter of the Salvation Army. Got a nice letter (for tax purposes) from them thanking me.

Here's a listing of possibilities that was forwarded to us at work today. I was in the office, so couldn't post during work hours.

I'd encourage everyone who can - give whatever you can. And, if this particular situation doesn't float your boat - then please contribute more to your regular charities and worthy causes. This disaster is going to tap a lot of discretionary money from the private sector, so undoubtedly the causes that you usually contribute to are going to see fewer donations this year.

Like WSAY's slogan used to say, "Be big, be a builder!"

The big questions came up with ARC is that in previous disasters, the contributions went into their general fund, not specifically for the cause you were donating. In the end, money is fungible that they can make a valid argument that a donation is a donation and it helps them with all their causes, but people didn't like the lack of full disclosure.

FYI, our company recommended the following charities:

Yéle Haiti

The International Rescue Committee

UNICEF

The American Red Cross

Save the Children

Save the Children all the way!!! Give what you can.

Action Against Hunger

American Red Cross

American Jewish World Service

AmeriCares

CARE

Catholic Relief Services

Diaspora Community Services

Doctors Without Borders

Hôpital Albert Schweitzer Haiti

The Lambi Fund of Haiti (also has a Facebook page with reports from Haiti)

Mercy Corps

Oxfam

Partners in Health

Save the Children

UNICEF

Yéle Haiti

The New York Times, MSNBC, CNN, and InterAction are also publishing lists of aid organizations.

These are the links from the Philanthropy NY site I posted about earlier. There's a wide variety of organizations presented. Each does a different type of work. I'm just trying to be helpful to those who feel a need to contribute to the easing of human suffering that is so manifest in this moment. I have no connections to Haiti and know no one from there, but humanity's taken a giant chop on the chin. Someday it could be us. I also can't vouch for these organizations, I know more about a few of them than most. But if ever there was a worthy cause - this certainly is one.

Peace.

Action Against Hunger

American Red Cross

American Jewish World Service

AmeriCares

CARE

Catholic Relief Services

Diaspora Community Services

Doctors Without Borders

Hôpital Albert Schweitzer Haiti

The Lambi Fund of Haiti (also has a Facebook page with reports from Haiti)

Mercy Corps

Oxfam

Partners in Health

Save the Children

UNICEF

Yéle Haiti

The New York Times, MSNBC, CNN, and InterAction are also publishing lists of aid organizations.

These are the links from the Philanthropy NY site I posted about earlier. There's a wide variety of organizations presented. Each does a different type of work. I'm just trying to be helpful to those who feel a need to contribute to the easing of human suffering that is so manifest in this moment. I have no connections to Haiti and know no one from there, but humanity's taken a giant chop on the chin. Someday it could be us. I also can't vouch for these organizations, I know more about a few of them than most. But if ever there was a worthy cause - this certainly is one.

Peace.

Good list, and it was once us, 9-11-01 and the world responded. This is not a political rant, but one of the first counrties to respond to 911 was Iran and one of the first to respond this week has been Iran.

It is good to see the nations of the world responding in unison to the suffering of another nation. I don't know how much of what I've seen on t.v. is true, the situation is very fluid, but it gives me hope when I heard that the two fastest nations to respond were the U.S. and Venezuela. It gives me hope to hear that last night four humoungus trucks roled into Puerto au Price with Norwegian search and rescue teams. All of this before Mr. Obama and our Govt. offered 100 million in aid. All of this before the UN had a chance to respond.

My faith in humanity has been restored, regardless of politics, religion, etc. when one of us is in distress, we all come together and work together in an effort to ease the suffering of those in the danger zone.

http://twitter.com/RedCross

Text "Haiti" to 90999

It's really bad out there as you all know, and if you are able to help then this is an easy way to do it. It's to the Red Cross so it isn't a scam and you can feel somewhat secure that the money will get there and what they do is bill your $10 donation to your cell phone bill, quick and easy.

Wow