Shotty Jr. is too arrogant for his own good...

BillsPhan

Brain Shottenheimer recently said:

"The last couple years, I've had some opportunities, and was very interested. And for the first time in a real long time, I'm really happy. I love it here; I love working for Coach Ryan. I hope I'm here for a long time."

Translation: "I'm too good for the Buffalo Bills, and if I interview, with Nix's relationship with my Dad, they will most certainly hire me, so I'm turning down the opportunity to interview for one of only 32 NFL Head Coaching postions available in the world.....despite the fact I'm only 36 years old, despite the fact I've never been a head coach of any kind, despite the fact I've only been an OC for a few years."

In addition, as far as his quote above about "loving to work with Coach Ryan", if some other more "attractive" NFL job pops open by surprise when the SB is played and the '09 season is officially over, (such as Dallas, if the Cowboys lose big to the Vikings and Jones decides he's had enough with Wade. or San Diego if the Charges go down to the Jets and they send Turner packing), watch him jump on a plane to Dallas or San Diego in a heart beat to interview for those jobs, even though he's "really happy and loves it in New York."

I would respect young Shotty if he would have just said, "I want to thank Mr. Wilson for the opportunity to interveiw, but I am not interested at this time." He's only going to look foolish now, with his bull about his love fest with Rex Ryan, if he ends up interviewing anywhere else this year.

"The last couple years, I've had some opportunities, and was very interested. And for the first time in a real long time, I'm really happy. I love it here; I love working for Coach Ryan. I hope I'm here for a long time."

Translation: "I'm too good for the Buffalo Bills, and if I interview, with Nix's relationship with my Dad, they will most certainly hire me, so I'm turning down the opportunity to interview for one of only 32 NFL Head Coaching postions available in the world.....despite the fact I'm only 36 years old, despite the fact I've never been a head coach of any kind, despite the fact I've only been an OC for a few years."

In addition, as far as his quote above about "loving to work with Coach Ryan", if some other more "attractive" NFL job pops open by surprise when the SB is played and the '09 season is officially over, (such as Dallas, if the Cowboys lose big to the Vikings and Jones decides he's had enough with Wade. or San Diego if the Charges go down to the Jets and they send Turner packing), watch him jump on a plane to Dallas or San Diego in a heart beat to interview for those jobs, even though he's "really happy and loves it in New York."

I would respect young Shotty if he would have just said, "I want to thank Mr. Wilson for the opportunity to interveiw, but I am not interested at this time." He's only going to look foolish now, with his bull about his love fest with Rex Ryan, if he ends up interviewing anywhere else this year.

Can we give this a rest? Not only has this been discussed several times before, but has anyone thought maybe he doesn't want to interview because he feels he isn't ready to be a HC yet? Perhaps he feels that he is just not ready to manage an entire team instead of just the offense. He said he's not interested so can we let it go?

Or, maybe he is happy doing what he is doing and the fact that he is only 36, he knows if his offenses keep performing he will get other chances in his future to interview for HC positions

Get a grip and come down off the ledge.

This isn't a translation. It's a mirror of YOUR psyche.

It's actually a smart move by Schottenheimer. He's still very young and is clearly enjoying his growing success with Sanchez and the Jets. The Bills job has no good and viable QB, and apparently no good and viable QB is seen coming here in the near future. Why risk a promising coaching future on a team that literally has no QB? Schottenheimer will take his chances that there will more opportunities that will open up and wind up taking a job that at least has an answer to the QB situation. I don't fault him for turning down the offer to interview.

This isn't a translation. It's a mirror of YOUR psyche.

Oh really? Well maybe I'm just pissed off that this young kid turned down an opportunity to interview for a head coaching job for an NFL team. Maybe he might have told the Bills not to even ask the Jets for permission first, instead of making them look even more foolish by doing so. Or maybe I'll be telling everyone "I told you so" if he does in fact interveiw for another surprise job that pops up this season.

And what is your psyche all about? Is it just cool to accept the fact that our favorite NFL team sucks as a place to be the head coach? Doesn't that piss you off? Anyway, I hope the Chargers blow Shotty the cocky Jets out by about 40 points this weekend.

Coaching candidates often "pull" their name when they get word they likely will not be chosen.

You think it a coincidence Brian Schottzy suddenly turns cold to our offer the same time Russ Grimm sets up an interview????

Much of the discussion is done with the agents behind the scene...Schottzy allowed to pull his name gracefully while the Bills go interview Grimm and hire him as the next Bills head coach....

Honestly, it's his loss. When he gets sick of Sanchez & Ryan in the next few years, he'll be ruing the day he turned down these opportunities.

Just like all of us, if other opportunities come up, don't turn down the interview. Even if you're content with your current job, go to the interview and see what it's all about. You can always turn down the offer, if you get one.

i hope he stays right there - because i think we will be so much better next year - he will regret not being a part of the ride.

It's actually a smart move by Schottenheimer. He's still very young and is clearly enjoying his growing success with Sanchez and the Jets. The Bills job has no good and viable QB, and apparently no good and viable QB is seen coming here in the near future. Why risk a promising coaching future on a team that literally has no QB? Schottenheimer will take his chances that there will more opportunities that will open up and wind up taking a job that at least has an answer to the QB situation. I don't fault him for turning down the offer to interview.

You don't fault him for turning down the offer to interview. Simply amazing. Are you a Buffalo Bills fan, or Shotty Jrs. agent? Please tell me the only downside of turning down the experience of interviewing for a head coaching position in the NFL is. Many coordinators and position coaches have said that they appreciate the chances they've gotten to interview. That they've gained valuable experience just from the process, despite the fact they did not get the job. Come on, what is the only downside? It's getting hired when you really don't want the job in the first place. Well, Mr. "I claim to be a Bills fan on this board but I really love watching the Bills get treated like crap by idiot young coordinators and the national media so I can sound cool on The Stadium Wall", I am really pissed off about this young cocky jerk not even having the decency to tell Russ Brandon not to ask for permission. And that's because I've been a die hard true blue Buffalo Bills fan for over 40 years, and could care less what anyone else on this "cool" board think.

Go Chargers - please blow out the Jets by at least 30 points this weekend, and please stop Shotty's "hot offense" in it's tracks, so he and his cocky buddy Ryan can get beaten up by the NY City media and bring them back down to earth.

'Schottenheimer won’t go to Buffalo, where an owner with a tight wallet leads a franchise with a fading identity in a city in peril of losing its team to a Canadian neighbor. It is a team without a quarterback of Sanchez’s class, and a location where it’s nearly impossible to attract big-ticket free agents.'

Can't say I disagree with any of this. These are all items that we have all discussed on this board, while none of us like it, perception is reality to the outsiders.

Link

This is written by a paper in New Jersey!!! Is there a certain irony there (armpit of the East New Jersey is soooo much better than Western NY and Southern Ontario)? And "a QB of Sanchez's class." Really? The guy sucks as a QB and was outplayed this year by both our pathetic QBs. The superiority of the Jets, come on. The Jets were minimally better than the Bills. The people there are way to arrogant for their own good. We'll see how good an idea it was next year when the Jets stink yet again, Sanchez throws another 20 INTs and doesn't progress.

I for one am happy the guy did not interview b/c I think a 36 yr old is nowhere near prepared to take over a team like this. I'd be much happier with Fewell or Frazier.

I think it's more than just the QB position...The Bills can get a QB, other Teams do it...There are QB's to Draft and develop...I think the reason this was a good decision by BS is simply because the Bills Organization is a complete mess right now with an Owner who is completely out-of-touch and one missed heartbeat away from...well you know... :blink:

'Schottenheimer won’t go to Buffalo, where an owner with a tight wallet leads a franchise with a fading identity in a city in peril of losing its team to a Canadian neighbor. It is a team without a quarterback of Sanchez’s class, and a location where it’s nearly impossible to attract big-ticket free agents.'

Can't say I disagree with any of this. These are all items that we have all discussed on this board, while none of us like it, perception is reality to the outsiders.

Link

Your link is a joke. TARA SULLIVAN is a home town sports writer from Jersey basking in Shotty's success. What do you think she's going to do? Critisize him, as he should be critisized, for turning down an opportunity to interview for one of only 32 NFL head coaching jobs in the NFL, after allowing the team with the only current opening to ask permission to interview him? Instead, she reached out and used Steve Spagnolla as the perfect example why Shotty should stay put. Well, I have not seen the Rams fire Spags yet, have you?? And the Rams sucked when he got the job, and nobody expected him to turn them around over night. Am I missing something? Has Spags been whining about taking the job, and how badly he wished he was back as the DC for the Giants?

Tara is homer, talking up their favorite son. Shotty's hot in the biggest market in the USA right now, he knows it, and he's cocky about it. She even threw in the tired, aged old classless "frozen Buffalo" remark. But I'm glad you introduced her column to me. If the Jets get bounced easily by the Chargers, I'll see what she writes about their golden boy then!

Listen, agree with all of this Buffalo bashing all you want, "modern" Bills-Fans. I still hate this kid, and hope he crashes and burns big time this weekend.

I think it's more than just the QB position...The Bills can get a QB, other Teams do it...There are QB's to Draft and develop...I think the reason this was a good decision by BS is simply because the Bills Organization is a complete mess right now with an Owner who is completely out-of-touch and one missed heartbeat away from...well you know... :blink:

I think that if the Bills were in a position to draft a QB that he really liked, then he'd at least be interested in the job. The Bills aren't in that position and he probably isn't too enthusiastic about developing a QB that wasn't an highly talented first round draft pick. They certainly aren't going to be able to draft Bradford, perhaps Clausen slips but maybe he isn't a big fan of Clausen's talents.

What is so great about Schotty anyways. Ask any Jets fan & on more then one occassion the majority wante dhim fired over the last several years. Hell, they were talking about firing him half way thru this season. Now the guy is a genious because he basically has told Sanchez "I don not care if you only throw for 20 yrds a game, just don't do anything stupid". I hope SD really cleans their clock sunday & we could all see that fat son of a B word cry like a little girl again.

I think you make a valid point re his success with a Sanchez. But it could be a double-edged sword for him as well. If the Jets don't continue to run the ball well (the key to their success on offense) and if their defense slips even a little (another key to their offensive success), and Sanchez is forced to make plays because he's not in manageable down/distance situations (something he's terrible at right now) or if Sanchez simply has one of those sophomore slumps, there is a good chance their O not only doesn't improve but gets worse. That will fall on Schottenheimer and he will become yesterday's news.

Personally I don't think that will happen given their OLine and running ability that keeps Sanchez from being exposed. The odds would seem to indicate that their success will at least remain where it is. But Sanchez hasn't shown me much in terms of being a good QB when he HAS to be.

GO BILLS!!!

His rejection just gave me one more reason to hate the green slime.

I thinks he's over rated. His offense wasn't that good. They ranked 17 in scoring and had the luxury of playing against some of the worst run D's in the league. Buffalo/New England were bottom dwellers so that padded the stats.

He's young and smart so I will give him some slack, but as long as he's with the Jets he's dirt.

I don't think he could have assembled a decent staff either. He's anoth Mularkey, doomed to be an OC for most of his career.

His rejection just gave me one more reason to hate the green slime.

I thinks he's over rated. His offense wasn't that good. They ranked 17 in scoring and had the luxury of playing against some of the worst run D's in the league. Buffalo/New England were bottom dwellers so that padded the stats.

He's young and smart so I will give him some slack, but as long as he's with the Jets he's dirt.

I don't think he could have assembled a decent staff either. He's anoth Mularkey, doomed to be an OC for most of his career.

Mularkey. Now there's the another arrogant wimp I will hate forever as an NFL coach. I actually liked him in Buffalo. He was 14-18 in his two seasons, and I thought he had some real potential to be a fine head coach. But when he looked into the eyes of an NFL Hall of Fame former coach like Marv Levy, and say "Sorry Marv, I quit", when Levy offered him the chance to stay on and help the team re-build, I lost all respect for him. I hope he's enjoyed going back to OC these past 4 seasons, since I don't see any teams beating down his door to offer him his second chance.

Congratulations. You, Trent is Unstoppable and DarthICE form an elite and (thankfully) tiny group of people 'Most unlikely to Succeed as Translators'