R.I.P. Jay Reatard

Astrojanitor

http://pitchfork.com/news/37575-rip-jay-reatard/

Don't know if anyone on here is a fan, but Jay Reatard died this morning at age 29. Reatard was a brilliant impassioned and borderline manic performer. He, along with Jack Oblivion and Lucero, were putting Memphis rock and roll back on the map. Reatard recently released a couple albums on Matador--both worth checking out.

His music and antics will be missed

Why did he use Reatard as his stage name?

meh, who knows. he was in a band called The Reatards--one of those Ramones situations where everyone in the band shares the same last name. he was a goofball and a troublemaker; changing his name to "Reatard" kind of fit his personality. Dumb and kind of offensive, plus it's a barrier that kept the mainstream away. But who really knows. he was a real weird dude.

that song is very perry ferrell-ish.....i like it....

Overly simplistic spazzed out glammy garage punk....it makes the world go round. I loved how he would shout slogans instead of creating the illusion of actually having anything to add. he was angry and kind of dumb and knew it and did not try to mask his goofiness under a cover of presumed intelligence. No super earnest heartfelt love songs, no political posturing, no double necked guitars. Fun dumb and simple