Free agents: the other shoe that will soon drop.

i'm sure nix wants to clean house as far as the roster is concerned as well. this organization is full of losers. i don't blame anyone for not wanting to come here. like a old house, its sometimes better to completely demolish it and build something new on the land and that's what were looking at. that being said the bills will go 16-0 and win the super bowl next year. GOD BLESS & GO BILLS

If they clean house the Bills will go from being painfully mediocre to the worst team in the league for the forseeable future.

That would be just plain stupid. You build on what you have.

I remember a time when no team seemed to have a more uninspiring group of losers on their roster than the Patriots 10 years ago. They draft Richard Seymour, Brady takes over for Bledsoe and they are winning the Super Bowl with holdover scrubeenies like Ted Bruschi. The Bills at the same time, had a winning organization and decided to gut the roster mostly in the false name of salary cap hell when in effect it was getting rid of the remanants of the Butler/Wade era(yeah, 2 offseasons later they were spending money like crazy in FA so anyone who bought the company line that there was no other way was pretty naiive).

Cleaning house is usually the dumbest thing to do and usually reflects that the new management is scared and weak.

The Bills can only get free agents that fall under these categories.

1- Old- guys who are past their prime but might still have enough to contribute for at least 1 season.

2- Injured- Guys coming off an injury who have had good production in the past.

3- Guys coming off of a down year- Guys who just don't fit the system they are in or guys who just are coming off a bad season but have had good production in the past.

4- Over Pay for 2nd tier free agents- See Derrick Dockery these are the guys the Bills should just avoid.

5- Other teams backups- Hangartner types who are hidden gems coming off the bench.

Bills have to find guys with flaws and try to squeeze production out of them. If you want a few examples of these guys Derrick Johnson (Wrong system would totally fit into a 4-3), Chad Pennington (Injury prone but has won this division twice and could teach a young QB nice stop gap QB), Jason Fergueson (Old and coming off of an injury but a good DT when healthy definitely a guy that could help out this run D) and via trade Osi Umenyiora (Very good player but coming off of a bad season and maybe on the outs with the G-men).

You have to think out side of the box with free agents, the big names won't come and you don't want to overpay for 2nd tier talent. It doesn't always work out but you need to try to catch lighting in a bottle.

Do you hate the Bills?

Seriously. It seems like every other thread is about how bad the Bills suck and how they're never going to be good again. I like to be realistic, but man, pepper a little optimism in there for good measure! All of this bashing of the city, owner, front office, coaches and players is getting old. I know ... if I don't like it, don't read it. But it just seems like it's heavily outweighing anything positive.

And this is all because Cowher hasn't said yes, and Lil Schotty said no thanks. Wow.

The Bills can only get free agents that fall under these categories.

1- Old- guys who are past their prime but might still have enough to contribute for at least 1 season.

2- Injured- Guys coming off an injury who have had good production in the past.

3- Guys coming off of a down year- Guys who just don't fit the system they are in or guys who just are coming off a bad season but have had good production in the past.

4- Over Pay for 2nd tier free agents- See Derrick Dockery these are the guys the Bills should just avoid.

5- Other teams backups- Hangartner types who are hidden gems coming off the bench.

Bills have to find guys with flaws and try to squeeze production out of them. If you want a few examples of these guys Derrick Johnson (Wrong system would totally fit into a 4-3), Chad Pennington (Injury prone but has won this division twice and could teach a young QB nice stop gap QB), Jason Fergueson (Old and coming off of an injury but a good DT when healthy definitely a guy that could help out this run D) and via trade Osi Umenyiora (Very good player but coming off of a bad season and maybe on the outs with the G-men).

You have to think out side of the box with free agents, the big names won't come and you don't want to overpay for 2nd tier talent. It doesn't always work out but you need to try to catch lighting in a bottle.

1- Old- guys who are past their prime but might still have enough to contribute for at least 1 season. - worked for Minnesota and Arizona!!

1- Old- guys who are past their prime but might still have enough to contribute for at least 1 season. - worked for Minnesota and Arizona!!

We are nowhere near as close as AZ and MN...an older player who can give us 1 year does nothing for us...we are not close...

Our best bet is offering contracts to other teams backups at a reasonable price ala Hartgartner to be our starters and to replace the players that no longer fit. That with a couple good drafts and competant coaching staff will allow us 3-4 season down the road to get the FAs with a year left...

We are nowhere near as close as AZ and MN...an older player who can give us 1 year does nothing for us...we are not close...

Our best bet is offering contracts to other teams backups at a reasonable price ala Hartgartner to be our starters and to replace the players that no longer fit. That with a couple good drafts and competant coaching staff will allow us 3-4 season down the road to get the FAs with a year left...

I disagree if Chad Pennington can come in for 1 season and give you his usual 20-23 TD's and less then 10 int's I think it helps out the Bills big time. First Pennington seems like a guy who could be a good teacher to a young QB, lets say Brohm is our guy or we draft a QB in round 1 or 2 then Pennington takes the hits from a growing O-line and teaches the kid as he sits on the bench for 1 year.

If Pennington isn't healthy then go after Kerry Collins pretty much the same kind of stop gap guy. Also there are veteran defenders like Jason Fergueson who can help out the defense. In the NFL you go year to year (Yes you think about the future but now is much more important) and if you can get 4-5 older guys to make contributions to your team without having to give up any draft picks or take away playing time from draft choices with potential then it makes your team better and more professional.

You take low impact risks with high rewards and you see what pans out. Free agency is the time for smart risks.

I disagree if Chad Pennington can come in for 1 season and give you his usual 20-23 TD's and less then 10 int's I think it helps out the Bills big time. First Pennington seems like a guy who could be a good teacher to a young QB, lets say Brohm is our guy or we draft a QB in round 1 or 2 then Pennington takes the hits from a growing O-line and teaches the kid as he sits on the bench for 1 year.

If Pennington isn't healthy then go after Kerry Collins pretty much the same kind of stop gap guy. Also there are veteran defenders like Jason Fergueson who can help out the defense. In the NFL you go year to year (Yes you think about the future but now is much more important) and if you can get 4-5 older guys to make contributions to your team without having to give up any draft picks or take away playing time from draft choices with potential then it makes your team better and more professional.

You take low impact risks with high rewards and you see what pans out. Free agency is the time for smart risks.

I can possibly agree with a QB for teaching purposes only if you have a young qb...how does a team that needs to get good players benefit from going 9-7 at best as a opposed to 4-12? Maybe you have a playoff appearance and a qucik exit in the first round? or maybe you miss the playoffs...how does that help the team in the long run? I would rather go 4-12 and get the higher picks for impact players instead of limping along with aging vets and not getting the impact players that will help you get deep in the playoffs...

This team is really devoid of talent and needs good picks and impact players...all we really have is role players..as much as I love Poz and even Evans, they are not impact players...They are great Role players....Byrd Levitre and Wood do havea shot at being impact players...

I can possibly agree with a QB for teaching purposes only if you have a young qb...how does a team that needs to get good players benefit from going 9-7 at best as a opposed to 4-12? Maybe you have a playoff appearance and a qucik exit in the first round? or maybe you miss the playoffs...how does that help the team in the long run? I would rather go 4-12 and get the higher picks for impact players instead of limping along with aging vets and not getting the impact players that will help you get deep in the playoffs...

This team is really devoid of talent and needs good picks and impact players...all we really have is role players..as much as I love Poz and even Evans, they are not impact players...They are great Role players....Byrd Levitre and Wood do havea shot at being impact players...

I think that you have to mix and match the young guys with the vets. I feel like if we get Pennington or Collins in a teaching role keeps us from compromising a young QB by asking too much of him. Also when I say get more old guys I didn't mean fill the whole team with them just get a few to complement the younger players. If you add in Jason Ferguson and Derrick Johnson to the front 7 it allows you to draft from more of a position of strength rather then need and it gets your younger players involved in a more winning atmosphere.

Brandon gets promoted, Nix gets hired, and all of a sudden most of the established or up-and-coming coaches want nothing to do with the Bills' HC position. I'm a believer that the market disseminates information faster and more accurately than other mechanisms, and so I read into this that everyone on the "inside" knows information that we don't (or that we refuse to accept as true). Namely: that this organization is toxic. And for the "true believers" out there who continue to cling to the notion that this is, or can be a well-run organization, just wait until free agency season starts on March 1. If the coaches can't be lured here with $$, the players are going to be even more reluctant to sign up for the opportunity. Yes we got TO, but tell me, did he have ANY other offers? No. I think that when free agency starts up, we'll finally get the full picture of just how dismal this organization's standing is.

Of course, I expect that the "true believers" will be telling us that it's Nix's philosophy of acquiring through the draft (nevermind that we don't have enough picks to fill all of the holes on this roster).

there's an old saying... winning changes everything. during hte glory days, most guys were drafted or traded for. look at the colts, they rarely, rarely build through FA.

we draft well, we start winning in a weak AFC east, and things change. thats what we need.

Brandon gets promoted, Nix gets hired, and all of a sudden most of the established or up-and-coming coaches want nothing to do with the Bills' HC position. I'm a believer that the market disseminates information faster and more accurately than other mechanisms, and so I read into this that everyone on the "inside" knows information that we don't (or that we refuse to accept as true). Namely: that this organization is toxic. And for the "true believers" out there who continue to cling to the notion that this is, or can be a well-run organization, just wait until free agency season starts on March 1. If the coaches can't be lured here with $$, the players are going to be even more reluctant to sign up for the opportunity. Yes we got TO, but tell me, did he have ANY other offers? No. I think that when free agency starts up, we'll finally get the full picture of just how dismal this organization's standing is.

Of course, I expect that the "true believers" will be telling us that it's Nix's philosophy of acquiring through the draft (nevermind that we don't have enough picks to fill all of the holes on this roster).

They've had no trouble attracting guys like Drayton Florence, who gave the team more than a few quality performances during the season, and for modest money. So why would there be an issue doing so now?

And, just for the record, try finding me one free agent acquisition from Pittsburgh or Indianapolis from the last few off-seasons. You don't need both, you need to draft well. Free agency is for teams that don't draft well, and it rarely works out, even at the mid-level.

And I highly doubt that the solution to Buffalo's problem is in declining talents like Julian Peterson, who did virtually nothing for Detroit this season. Two solid drafts and this team could (note: could, not will) be a perennial playoff contender, regardless of free agent activity.

hah, pwned!

They've had no trouble attracting guys like Drayton Florence, who gave the team more than a few quality performances during the season, and for modest money. So why would there be an issue doing so now?

And, just for the record, try finding me one free agent acquisition from Pittsburgh or Indianapolis from the last few off-seasons. You don't need both, you need to draft well. Free agency is for teams that don't draft well, and it rarely works out, even at the mid-level.

And I highly doubt that the solution to Buffalo's problem is in declining talents like Julian Peterson, who did virtually nothing for Detroit this season. Two solid drafts and this team could (note: could, not will) be a perennial playoff contender, regardless of free agent activity.

Good post. In contrast to baseball, free agency is really overrated in football.

Quick: who was the last notable free agent signed by the Chargers??