Haitian Earthquake

Chef Jim

I have never been to Haiti but worked with many Haitians in the kitchens in Miami and I will say that to those that didn't survive this was probably the best thing that could have happened to them. These are the same people that were eating what we as kids made for fun in the back yard. I want anyone who bitches about our country and say that things need to be changed to make this a great place to think about that for a second.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor cities/countries, have poor construction and very little in the way of building codes. A city like Port Au Prince has very little chance of standing up to an earthquake or any other natural disaster. The majority of the buildings in Haiti are made of concrete and without rebar. :thumbdown:

....not too mention very little emergency and recovery resources. One of the reports said that Port Au Prince has two functioning fire stations.

Like the story of the 3 little pigs and the big bad wolf. Straw just dosn't cut it

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Because they eat dirt in Haiti, we have to think about that before bitching or instituing change. What is that supposed to do, stop people from bitching bacause they know it can be a whole lot worse... Like resorting to eating dirt. So, things don't need to be changed because they eat dirt I Haiti? :lol:

I know what you mean by being thankful for what one has... But, curtailing any change process because they eat dirt in Haiti is a little over the top... Don't you think? :blink:

Maybe they can't B word or institute change in Haiti... Maybe they is why they resort to eating dirt.

No you only highlighted part of the line. Change in order to make this a great country. Compared to other parts of the world our poorest people have it made.

So. Of course they do. Isn't there a stat that says if one has a dollar in their pocket, they arre richer than 99% of the world... Or somehgting like that high %?? They should have it even better. What is your point?

Of course there is plenty of reason to be thankful... Could be much worse... I think most know that.

You sound like my old man when he said to eat all my peas, there are children starving in China. So, what does that have to do with eating my peas... Send them over there.

Thanks for shitting on a thread about a major catastrophe. :blink:

Do you think at all before you post? The Haitian earthquake was a 7.0; Anchorage was a 9.2. Since obviously you don't understand the difference, here-

The Richter magnitude scale, also known as the local magnitude (ML) scale, assigns a single number to quantify the amount of seismic energy released by an earthquake. It is a base-10 logarithmic scale obtained by calculating the logarithm of the combined horizontal amplitude of the largest displacement from zero on a Wood–Anderson torsion seismometer output. So, for example, an earthquake that measures 5.0 on the Richter scale has a shaking amplitude 10 times larger than one that measures 4.0. The effective limit of measurement for local magnitude ML is about 6.8.e]

Virtually all the damaged parts of Anchorage where a direct result of being built on glacial silt, which has the consistency of flour, not the buildings themselves. Structures on better soil just a few yards away from destroyed ones where spared.

In fact if you look at the picture you linked to, look down the street and notice the multi story buiding on the left on the far end of the street. That's the McKay building and is still there today.

Thanks for shitting on a thread about a major catastrophe. :blink:

Don't sweat it Jim, your point is clear and correct. My only advice is to start expecting less from people. Yesterday a disturbing amount of people were killed and it only merits a couple pages of comments. Hot Russian golfer and complainging about the coaching search are the flavor of the moment.

Making sense as usual. What are you talking about? You are the one that shat first by making such stupid ass comments.

What I got out of the original comment is that the USA is a great country, despite what some people might think.

Do you think at all before you post? The Haitian earthquake was a 7.0; Anchorage was a 9.2. Since obviously you don't understand the difference, here-

Virtually all the damaged parts of Anchorage where a direct result of being built on glacial silt, which has the consistency of flour, not the buildings themselves. Structures on better soil just a few yards away from destroyed ones where spared.

In fact if you look at the picture you linked to, look down the street and notice the multi story buiding on the left on the far end of the street. That's the McKay building and is still there today.

The biggest quakes I've gone through was the 7.3 Landers followed by the 6.5 Big Bear Quake. Both ironically on the same day. I couldn't imagine a 9.2.

Didn't know 1964 was a over 9... My bad... I thought it was int he 7 to 8 range.

Again, sorry.

I do.

Ya.. In what universe? No the point is not relevant because it ties directly into his example and beliefs. So we shouldn't be a great country? Chef's way of thinking directly leads to country's like Haiti

Huh? That people shouldn't complain here because people in Haiti eat dirt. I thought about that for a second... And you know what? Chef is right.

I am never complaing again... People eat dirt in Haiti!

Really, all he could have said was: "Be thankful for what we have." Instead he injects his same old BS and I get accused for crapping all over the thread.

I have to admit... I did disclaim my post bt saying: "I just couldn't resist." That is how dumb and nonsensical his example was.

Sorry... Carry on.

/rant

Hey super-putz. Go ahead and read my line again. :blink:

I do.

Ya.. In what universe? No the point is not relevant because it ties directly into his example and beliefs. So we shouldn't be a great country? Chef's way of thinking directly leads to country's like Haiti

Huh? That people shouldn't complain here because people in Haiti eat dirt. I thought about that for a second... And you know what? Chef is right.

I am never complaing again... People eat dirt in Haiti!

Really, all he could have said was: "Be thankful for what we have." Instead he injects his same old BS and I get accused for crapping all over the thread.

I have to admit... I did disclaim my post bt saying: "I just couldn't resist." That is how dumb and nonsensical his example was.

Sorry... Carry on.

/rant

This was the message he was sending. Get over youself dude. Plenty of other threads for you to annoy others and seek attention.

This was the message he was sending. Get over youself dude. Plenty of other threads for you to annoy others and seek attention.

Then why not not just say that. :blink::lol:

I am not trying to seek attention or annoy... Sorry if it does. Just making a stand on what was a dumbass example. Actually it is the exact opposite... I should have PM'd him. Sorry it touches a nerve seeing those poor suffering people... Even before the quake.

Sorry Chef for saying it out in public.

Please expand on what you wrote:

"I want anyone who bitches about our country and say that things need to be changed to make this a great place to think about that for a second."

No, I'll let you read it over a couple of times yourself. And if you still feel the need to give me **** about it do it either personally or in another thread not here. You're being a jackass in the wrong thread.