Non-Coordinators

silvermike

Looking at Russ Grimm's profile, he actually has not been the Arizona Cardinals' offensive coordinator: he's the line coach and the Asst. HC. This put me off briefly, but he's not the only guy in that boat who's had success in the NFL. Of this year's playoff teams:

Philadelphia: Hired Andy Reid away from his job as Green Bay's QB coach.

New Orleans: Sean Payton had been the QB coach in Dallas.

Baltimore: John Harbaugh special teams coordinator, I guess, but that's a different role. Also DBs coach in Philly.

Indianapolis: Jim Caldwell promoted from QBs coach.

I think there's a set of guys who aren't the master tacticians that become coordinators, but have the skill and leadership to run NFL teams and establish themselves as position coaches and make the jump. Grimm seems like one of those guys to me: a leader who could right the ship. I hope we get a clean shot at him next week.

silvermike, I agree completely.

Head coach = CEO. Coordinator = CEO's accountant. They're completely different jobs, in other words. Someone can be technically brilliant (great X's and O's ability or in the case of an accountant, great at crunching numbers) and be a poor leader for an organization. I couldn't care less whether Grimm has called plays before or whether Frazier's defenses have been good. What's more telling to me would be if there are articles discussing how much respect someone commands from players, coaches, and people around the league. Is he a natural leader that people respond to? Will good coordinators respect him enough to come work for him? Those are the things I want to hear about. But in most cases, those are the kinds of things us internet fans won't be able to find out until well after the hire occurs. So whomever the Bills choose, I'll just have to give him a chance.