New Opportunities

silvermike

With the losses yesterday, two coaching prospects are now available for interview. In brief:

The Eagles' McDermott is a DC off the Jim (not Jimmy) Johnson tree: blitz and blitz. The Eagles were consistently one of the most aggressive defenses in the league, of course, Tony Romo just picked that apart in two big games six days apart. He's in the boy-genius coaching class (age: 35), and has spent his entire career with the Eagles, previously as a LB and DB coach.

Mike Zimmer is the Bengals DC, who had previously worked in Dallas under Barry Switzer and everyone since. He ran the 4-3 until Parcells told him to switch, and then he went back to the 4-3 for a year in Atlanta and two in Cincinnati. The Bengals were the 12th ranked defense in 2008 and shot up to the top ten this year (6th points, 4th yards).

Any further thoughts? I'm not particularly impressed with either, though I like that Zimmer has run 4-3 AND 3-4. Flexibility is big.

NO WAY! :wallbash:

I hear what you're saying. And, at one point in the game yesterday, I was thinking right along those lines... that he's gotten alot out of a fairly average bunch. But it would have been nice to see them do something more against the Jets.

That's a tough offense to try too much against, especially when you're woefully undermanned. Youi start running twists and stunts and you're opening huge running lanes for an Oline that thrives in the second level. You start blitzing to pressure the young QB and you're exposing a weak secondary to the playaction that the Jets thrive on. Overplay your weak hand and you're begging to become a member of the 40/40 club (40pts against and/or 40:00 TOP).

Could he have rolled the dice a little more? Yeah, maybe. But i'm guessing the gameplan was to play it close to the vest and hope that the Bengals offense could do enough to keep it close and win a game late with an experienced QB. Instead they missed 2 chip shots, Palmer was horrible and the Bengals didn't manage to pin the Jets inside their own 20 a single time yesterday.

When you consider his resume and the lack of talent he had to work with, I just find it hard to give Zimmer too much grief for yesterday's loss.

Zimmer is a guy whose ego doesn't get in the way...He can motivate his guys as well...I'd like him head and shoulders over McDermott..Besides Philly had no answers at all to Dallas 2 weeks in a row...

And Zimmer's D got punched in the mouth by the Jets 2 weeks in a row. Why is he any better based on your reasoning for McDermott. PASS on both of them.

That's a tough offense to try too much against, especially when you're woefully undermanned. Youi start running twists and stunts and you're opening huge running lanes for an Oline that thrives in the second level. You start blitzing to pressure the young QB and you're exposing a weak secondary to the playaction that the Jets thrive on. Overplay your weak hand and you're begging to become a member of the 40/40 club (40pts against and/or 40:00 TOP).

Could he have rolled the dice a little more? Yeah, maybe. But i'm guessing the gameplan was to play it close to the vest and hope that the Bengals offense could do enough to keep it close and win a game late with an experienced QB. Instead they missed 2 chip shots, Palmer was horrible and the Bengals didn't manage to pin the Jets inside their own 20 a single time yesterday.

When you consider his resume and the lack of talent he had to work with, I just find it hard to give Zimmer too much grief for yesterday's loss.

Sounds alot like someone with the initals of DJ.Keep it close and hope to win it with a field goal at the end.No Thanks

the Bills have talent on the defence? Reading the board here I would say most would disagree with you.

I said they have more talent than the Benglas.

And I'm frequently out of synch with much of hte board. :wallbash:

Sounds a lot like someone with the initals of DJ.Keep it close and hope to win it with a field goal at the end.No Thanks

You pick your spots. And yesterday was not a spot for the Benglas to go hyperagressive.

I just don't think that Zimmer deserves a chance as a HC right now just because he was "decent" without much talent on D. IF he had stopped the Jets or looked really good keeping them very close, I would say he might deserve a chance, but theres much better choices out there that would be less "rolls of the dice"

Holy crap... Jauron took over Simon's account! :wallbash:

Seriously, don't get me wrong, I'm not really putting any blame on the Bengals defense for the loss. I'm jsut saying they looked very average for 2 consecutive weeks going against a division team for us. It just doesn't instill any confidence in me for Zimmer in our division. Everytime Sanchez did a play action, roll out there was zero backside contain. Sooner or later I'd want a good coordinator to tell his guys to make that adjustment. They did very little to pressure ot confuse a rookie QB in his first ever playoff game.

Granted, now, I wouldn't be upset if the Bills interviewed him. However, in the world of up and coming coordinators, I'd hope there's someone a little more inspiring. If not, we're really screwed.

They did very little to pressure ot confuse a rookie QB in his first ever playoff game.

That's a very fair criticism that I can't argue with. He may have been overcautious yesterday, even if it was for good reason. But considering his track record, it's not enough to make me think he's a bad candidate.

That's a very fair criticism that I can't argue with. He may have been overcautious yesterday, even if it was for good reason. But considering his track record, it's not enough to make me think he's a bad candidate.

And I'm not sure he'd be a completely bad candidate either. But, I'm also not sure he'd be he best candidate. However, I'll follow that up with... I'm really not sure who would be the best candidate. I guess that's why I tend to take the stance of.. in Buddy I trust.

I would defintely like an established, proven winner first. I know you dislike Cowher, but IMO, he'd go a long way to establishing instant credibilty to a franchise that's been floundering for a decade. After Cowher, I'm not that excited about any of the former HCs though. And despite the Ralph is cheap mantra, it's hard to ignore all the recent success of first time HCs. So maybe a Frazier, Gimm, Zimmer isn't such a bad idea.

For the record, I really dislike the JH guy coming in from Stanford.

2007 was the horrible Bobby Petrino year in Atlanta where he abandoned the team and left all of his players and coaches out to dry. Before that Zimmer spent 7 years as Dallas' D-Coordinator (spanning through 4 coaches) and was obviously thought of pretty well if Bill Parcells choose him as his D-Coodrinator.

I forgot to say in an earlier post that I thought he was a Bill Parcells disciple...

I think Zimmer would an excellent HC. He is a take-no-crap guy, was picked by Parcells as his DC. Works for me.

I am liking Frazier less and less for some reason - former DB, perhaps? ;-)

I don't think McDermott has enough DC experience to become HC.