How many more O-lineman do you want to draft,

This is a dumb argument...

Good players look good most of the time. If he is good enough, he will succeed. If he isn't, he won't. Having the great wall of china in front of him won't help if the QB sucks.

You draft the QB then build around him. What is the purpose of building a mansion when noone is living in it.

That is about the dumbest analogy I've ever heard.

Lets be realistic here people. There isn't a solid franchise QB in this draft. It would be absolute utter nonsense to even consider wasting a 1st rd pick on 1. Remember Losman anyone?

You take McClain at #9. You trade up into the the 20 to 25 pick and grab Cody. You start by rebuilding the D. You trade again to get to the very early rd 2 picks and grab Campbell from Maryland as your OL pick. If Levefour is still available at 41 pick him, if not, then Tebow. If neither are available you grab another OL or LB, which ever is available with better talent.

What to trade you ask? You trade certain talent and if necessary, a couple of draft positions.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Nix will go with a can't-miss LT or DT/DE before he addresses the QB situation. I think his approach is to solidify the lines first, then you can have a second tier QB (or an aging free agent vet) run your offense and be just fine. If I was GM the best blueprint for making the Bills better faster is to achieve a run-first offense with good OL play and a stout defense. This allows you to build efficiently without putting all your chips on "make-or-break" draft picks (see JP Losman, Ryan Leaf, etc.)

A competent OL can make an average QB look pretty good. Even getting "pretty good" QB play would do wonders for this franchise - and the most solid way to do this is to build a good OL.

I think the lines on both sides of the ball should be solidified or at least the foundations should be laid first. Look at Sanchez, Flacco, and Ben, they all had the good fortune of playing behind established offensive lines and look at the pay off.

This is a dumb argument...

You draft the QB then build around him. What is the purpose of building a mansion when noone is living in it.

So by your analogy you would prefer the occupant to live without walls, water and electricity while the house is completed? How does that work in the winters of Buffalo? Houses are built and then you move in last I checked.

Wrong question. First, one doesn't just draft some quota of lineman and stop. Players may not develop, may get hurt, and will eventually move on. Depth is what separates elite teams from teams that have one good year before falling back to mediocrity. Second, one doesn't just draft a QB to check the "franchise QB" box on the wish list. The list of QBs that turned out to be busts is long and well documented. Reaching for a player just to check the QB box is how a team ends up with a JP Losman and sets itself back for 6 or 7 seasons.

No, right question. A simple question really. Lots of people have posted that they want the Bills to "fix" the line first, then draft a QB. I think, if there is a worthy QB, the sooner you get the QB here the better. He can sit while the the line is built up.

First round QB.

How long will it take to fix the line? That's the real question

(Plus the Jets are a bit of a sham, no?)

I understand that he's a first round QB, but what good would he be playing behind our o-line?

How long? If Wood comes back and improves then this off season could give you a real honest to goodness NFL offinsive line if the Bills play their cards right.

More circular arguments. No one is really setting out a timeframe for how long this should take.

Simple question. How many more drafts should the Bills PLAN to need before they should EXPECT the O-line to be good enough, to pick a first round QB if they think he is WORTHY of the pick? (I know, some will say "get a QB in the later rounds").

I understand that he's a first round QB, but what good would he be playing behind our o-line?

How long? If Wood comes back and improves then this off season could give you a real honest to goodness NFL offinsive line if the Bills play their cards right.

Then now is the time for a 1st round QB (obviously, the QB needs to be worthy of a 1st round pick. I don't, and you don't, and no one really knows how successful a guy will be).

I agree!

For all the folks that don't want to spend a 1st round pick on a QB because the line sucks, how many high picks do you want to spend on lineman, and how many more drafts, before you think it will be "safe" to pick a QB?

I think they can spend a first pick on a (worthy) QB, let him sit a season, and build a decent line in the meantime, but so many seem to think it would be a grand idea to draft more lineman and then pick a QB, wait around a couple years for him to develop, etc.

So lay out a time frame. You know, like "2 more drafts of a couple O-lineman high each year, then a QB that they can develop for a couple of seasons, and we'll be ready for the playoffs in 2015".

The question is are Bradford or Cluassen the answer . If so go ahead and draft one , if not why waste the pick. We seem to chase a position every year and never get good value. Maybin , mccargo, whitner, hardy all high draft picks, all drafted to fill a need and thus far all underwhelming.

I say take the BPA at #9 whether it be McClain, Gerald McCoy, or Okung. The ranking will change after the senior bowl and combine but I truly believe there are 4 top 20 LOT coming out this year in Okung, Davis, Bulaga and Campbell. I really don't think Bradford has the make up to be successful in our buffalo weather (arm strenght etc...) and I just don't like Clausen, doesn't like to throw to the middle of the field and kind of a douche. I say get a FA QB for now maybe Derek Anderson and build our LT, DL, and LB spots in the draft.

Personally..I dont see a viable QB in the draft...but TeBow late 3/4 round would be a good risk and cant be any worse than what we have. Something tellls me he has the "it" factor and will succeed at the NFL level..+ he has the build to take punishment..Honestly I would just like to a have a productive draft out of out 1st and 2nd round picks.. The bills have did well in the late rounds but its hard not to think what if.. Just go back through the last 6 years of 1st /2nd round picks.. The bills should simply trade away 1st 2nd round picks for multiple draft choices inlater rounds.. they study long and wrong.. proof is in the pudding. Last year most people called for Cushing or Orapko, year before most of us were calling for DRC over Mckelvin. The jury is still out on Hardy. 2007 looked promising with Lynch and POZ but 2 years later its not looking good. 2006 went Whitner when we needed Ngata and wasted a pick on Mccargo.. So back to the Thread.. I don't care what they go after in the 1st few rounds just be productive in a Bills uniform.

So we need a first round QB before we need a LT?

LBs?

I think the idea is if you don't see a LT or QB worth taking take the best defensive front 7 player available who is likely to be McLain a Linebacker. I think you do need to spend 1 of your 1st 2 picks on a LT (Even if it requires a trade up).

well they are a good running team because they have 4 1st-rounders on their line

That's not even a response to that post, let alone to the original question.

But, if you are taking that perspsective, you want them to wait 3 or 4 years before they draft a QB in the 1st.

Great idea man!

So we need a first round QB before we need a LT?

LBs?

We need a good QB. We need a good QB. We need a good QB.

The biggest need on this team is QB. The most important position on any team is the QB. Doesn't have to be your best player, but he needs to be good.

Timeframe. No one want to answer that. How many drafts should we EXPECT (I don't need someone to post "we'll you never know if a guy is gonna turn out, so" No $#it! )

Lay out a timeframe.

Personally..I dont see a viable QB in the draft...but TeBow late 3/4 round would be a good risk and cant be any worse than what we have. Something tellls me he has the "it" factor and will succeed at the NFL level..+ he has the build to take punishment..Honestly I would just like to a have a productive draft out of out 1st and 2nd round picks.. The bills have did well in the late rounds but its hard not to think what if.. Just go back through the last 6 years of 1st /2nd round picks.. The bills should simply trade away 1st 2nd round picks for multiple draft choices inlater rounds.. they study long and wrong.. proof is in the pudding. Last year most people called for Cushing or Orapko, year before most of us were calling for DRC over Mckelvin. The jury is still out on Hardy. 2007 looked promising with Lynch and POZ but 2 years later its not looking good. 2006 went Whitner when we needed Ngata and wasted a pick on Mccargo.. So back to the Thread.. I don't care what they go after in the 1st few rounds just be productive in a Bills uniform.

Please lay out a timeframe.

We need a good QB. We need a good QB. We need a good QB.

The biggest need on this team is QB. The most important position on any team is the QB. Doesn't have to be your best player, but he needs to be good.

Timeframe. No one want to answer that. How many drafts should we EXPECT (I don't need someone to post "we'll you never know if a guy is gonna turn out, so" No $#it! )

Lay out a timeframe.