Seahawks replace coach in ONE DAY!

It's hard not to be cynical when stuff like this happens. Here's a club that, although seemingly in disaray, took a direction and MADE it happen....I know what a lot of you will say....

"be patient South Jersey Bill Fan, they've only had 2 interviews"...yes, but WHY?! Why have there only been 2...Dick Juron was fired after week 9! Is Buffalo a harder sell? Maybe, but it's still an NFL HC job!

And while I'm at it, is there any way we can get a message to the front office and have them tell Cowher to pound sand? Sorry dude, we're not going to be able to provide you with a pro bowl qb, steel curtain defense and all the $$ you need to BUY a team...It's alled work, and guess what? If you're good at it (which everyone thinks you are) you'll get to claim all the rewards! It appears that once these coaches make it, they look for easy street...quite frankly, I don't think it's what we need. He wants to be able to walk away and say it wasn't his fault.

I think if we gave up the pipe dream called Cowher this coaching decision might come a little easier. I'm far from convinced he's the right guy anyway.

what other competition do we have? there are no other HC openings in the NFL.....

Maybe Dallas and Oakland (If Dallas loses this weekend)

Why not interview as many people as they can? How do we know for sure they have only interviewed Cowher, Fewell, and Frazier? They have been so secretive about it for the most part.

No need to rush... they playoffs are just beginning.

And I am not advocating making a move in one day...however, it seems like it shouldnt take 9 weeks and counting.

If the Bills were to hire a college coach like Carrol then perhaps they could have done something sooner. But if they wanted an NFL coach, especially one that's still employed, they have to wait.

I'm curious. Why exactly is it so important the Bills hire a coach immediately? What are we missing out on exactly?

PTR

And I am not advocating making a move in one day...however, it seems like it shouldnt take 9 weeks and counting.

They talked to Shanahan a month ago. They talked to Cowher a couple weeks ago. They are now trying to interview coordinators of playoff teams. If they want a guy like Pete Carroll, they could have signed Jim Fassel months ago.

If you think the Seahawks hired Pete Carrol in one day you probably still believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

PTR

Clearly not, and I know that the "elite" on this board feel their knowledge of the inner workings of an NFL team is greater than the masses, but it just seems that 9+ weeks is an awfully long time to appear to be no closer. If they really are keeping it close to the vest, then great, I'll be extactic when they do announce it, and I'll print the first page of this post and eat it. If I can figure out how to video tape it, Ill post that too.

Clearly not, and I know that the "elite" on this board feel their knowledge of the inner workings of an NFL team is greater than the masses, but it just seems that 9+ weeks is an awfully long time to appear to be no closer. If they really are keeping it close to the vest, then great, I'll be extactic when they do, and I'll print the first page of this post and eat it. If I can figure out how to video tape it, Ill post that too.

No it's not a long time when you fire your coach mid-season. Like the previous post points out, we contacted all the blue-chip free agent coaches during the season. Since none wanted the job we move onto plan B which requires the season to end. Again, what is the rush?

PTR

It's hard not to be cynical when stuff like this happens. Here's a club that, although seemingly in disaray, took a direction and MADE it happen....I know what a lot of you will say....

"be patient South Jersey Bill Fan, they've only had 2 interviews"...yes, but WHY?! Why have there only been 2...Dick Juron was fired after week 9! Is Buffalo a harder sell? Maybe, but it's still an NFL HC job!

And while I'm at it, is there any way we can get a message to the front office and have them tell Cowher to pound sand? Sorry dude, we're not going to be able to provide you with a pro bowl qb, steel curtain defense and all the $$ you need to BUY a team...It's alled work, and guess what? If you're good at it (which everyone thinks you are) you'll get to claim all the rewards! It appears that once these coaches make it, they look for easy street...quite frankly, I don't think it's what we need. He wants to be able to walk away and say it wasn't his fault.

I think if we gave up the pipe dream called Cowher this coaching decision might come a little easier. I'm far from convinced he's the right guy anyway.

OK, so what if the Bills had hired Carrol in one day. Would that have made you happy? I doubt it.

Clearly not, and I know that the "elite" on this board feel their knowledge of the inner workings of an NFL team is greater than the masses, but it just seems that 9+ weeks is an awfully long time to appear to be no closer. If they really are keeping it close to the vest, then great, I'll be extactic when they do announce it, and I'll print the first page of this post and eat it. If I can figure out how to video tape it, Ill post that too.

You cant interview assistants in-season. That's been explained to you numerous times. And if per chance the Bills did hire a coach in 1 day, you'd be first in line to start a thread about how the Bills "rushed into a hire," and "didn't take their due diligence in interviewing candidates."

They wanted to hire a GM first and then a coach. Didn't hire a GM until recently .

It doesnt make much difference if we hire a coach today or in Feburary. Id rather wait and get the best one

The season ended less than a week ago too.....im glad we dont have a coach yet. Lets look at our team and decide which caoch can mke this team the best

Brought to you by the penguins from Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa:

Alex: Hey! Happy Slappers! Is there any reason to celebrate? Look at the plane!

Skipper: We'll fix it.

Alex: Fix it? How you gonna fix this?

Skipper: Grit, spit

[Private spits]

Skipper: and a whole lotta duct tape.

[Rico pulls out a roll of duct tape]

Skipper: We should be up and running in say...

[Kowalski shows him an abacus]

Skipper: six to nine months.

Alex: Sixty-nine months?

Skipper: No, six *to* nine months.

:wallbash:

I am almost sure the Seahawks had some discussion with Carrol, indicating his interest, before firing Mora Jr.

Exactly right. With Carroll being a west coast guy and the NCAA hot on his trail,I think it was time for Petey to "get out of Dodge." Seattle emptied the bank for him and was waiting with open arms.

The reason we shouldn't hire someone right away, unless it's Buf Bill Cowher, is because... how stupid would it be to hire Jim Fassel if Any Ried, Wade Philips or Jeff Fisher gets the ax in the next week or so? I'd take Fisher over Cower (today or next week). Maybe Ralph knows that Fisher will get axed on Jan 15th and we will immediately move on it.

The point is (obviously), that more HC options may still come forth.

The search couldn't start nine weeks ago dude. First off, they wanted to see what Perry Fewell could do. So they gave him some time to show them. More importantly though, they needed to hire a GM first, you know, someone to run the football operation and interview the new coaching candidates? Yeah, that guy.

Then, once they had their guy, they started showing interest in a number of top tier candidates and other coordinators. Now we're fully in the process. Finding the right coach isn't a one day event, or a one week nail biter. Seattle did it the wrong way, and will find out that Pete Carroll was a great college coach because they play in a mediocre conference at a school that any athlete in their right mind would want to attend, giving them the pick of the litter. Think back to Pete Carroll's last coaching assignment. Remember when we used to throttle the Patriots on a regular basis? Yeah, it was that guy in charge. :wallbash:

I much prefer a rigorous process than a dog and pony show. The coaching search the last three times, imo, was lacking and resulted in a quick hires of cheap or predetermined candidates for the Bills. I want to see this done right and since we don't have any competition right now, why make things difficult? Taking the time to get it right is worthwhile in the long run. Let's wait and see what happens before anyone goes and gets their unders in a knot.