Bills #1 Pick: Derrick Morgan?

Thurman#1

Sorry to post a thread with no mention whatsoever of Bill Cowher (except that one), but ...

Walterfootball has the Bills picking Derrick Morgan at DE as the #9 pick. At first, I scoffed, but as he pointed out, Schobel may be retiring, so even if Maybin starts to do better on the other side, Morgan would be a great pick at an extremely important position. EDIT: Walterfootball changed the pick after I saw it. But you can still see that their last pick for Buffalo was indeed Morgan. And I believe this doesn't hurt the arguments for Morgan one bit.

He's 270, and a sack machine, but can also stand up against the run.

Providing the top two QBs and the top two LTs are off the table, this doesn't seem to me a very unlikely scenario. Remember how well the Giants did with their apparently needless pick of extra DE Tuck.

Two things are usually looked at when you try to predict the first round pick.

The first is what the team's worst needs are. And it's been clear for months now that the Bills biggest needs (gaping holes, really) are QB, LT, LB and arguably DT. Thing is, with Schobel thinking of retiring, yet another gaping hole has just opened up on this team. Without Schobel, who would we start at DE? Maybin and Denney? Kelsay and Ellis? I mean, my God, we got trouble, right here in River City. DE has officially stepped up into our major-league needs category.

The other thing you look at is whether a guy who is worth the 9th pick will be available when you pick. And I would argue that at QB, LT and DT, the answer is no, because the only guys worth the 9th pick will be long gone. That leaves only LB and DE as major needs with good value players available.

So, is Derrick Morgan worth the 9th pick? IMHO, yeah, definitely. He's big enough and strong enough to stop the run and explosive and fast enough to rush the passer.

Here's a highlight/lowlight package on youtube:

Sorry to post a thread with no mention whatsoever of Bill Cowher (except that one), but ...

Walterfootball has the Bills picking Derrick Morgan at DE as the #9 pick. At first, I scoffed, but as he pointed out, Schobel may be retiring, so even if Maybin starts to do better on the other side, Morgan would be a great pick at an extremely important position.

Providing the top two QBs and the top two LTs are off the table, this doesn't seem to me a very unlikely scenario. Remember how well the Giants did with their apparently needless pick of extra DE Tuck.

The first is what the team's worst needs are. And it's been clear for months now that the Bills biggest needs (gaping holes, really) are QB, LT, LB and arguably DT. Thing is, with Schobel thinking of retiring, yet another gaping hole has just opened up on this team. Without Schobel, who would we start at DE? Maybin and Denney? Kelsay and Ellis? I mean, my God, we got trouble, right here in River City. DE has officially stepped up into our major-league needs category.

The other thing you look at is whether a guy who is worth the 9th pick will be available when you pick. And I would argue that at QB, LT and DT, the answer is no, because the only guys worth the 9th pick will be long gone. That leaves only LB and DE as major needs with good value players available.

So, is Derrick Morgan worth the 9th pick? IMHO, yeah, definitely. He's big enough and strong enough to stop the run and explosive and fast enough to rush the passer.

good post. this could truly be the 'take the best player on the board, regardless of need' year.

IMHO, we have 3 real needs, DE I agree is a need but not nearly as much as QB, LT or LB. Morgan is a very good player, but the football Gods have bless us with a stronger than normal draft in those three departments (LB, QB, LT) Buffalo needs to capitalize on it. Buffalo drafted the DE they thought they needed last year, and while we all agree Maybin wasn't it. I think everyone here wouldn't have been upset had Andre Smith fell into our hands, even though he nearly ruined his rookie year.

Walterfootball has the Bills picking Derrick Morgan at DE as the #9 pick. At first, I scoffed, but as he pointed out, Schobel may be retiring, so even if Maybin starts to do better on the other side, Morgan would be a great pick at an extremely important position.

They actually have us taking Anthony Davis / OT / Rutgers at #9. http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php Though I like what I've seen from Morgan, and I know we need an OT, McClain has to be the guy if he's on the board. When was the last time we had a LB like McClain heading up the defense? Some may argue that London Fletcher was the same kind of player, but I don't believe it. Fletcher was a tackling machine, but McClain does the same things at pretty much the size of a DE. He's also more physical than Fletcher was and can shed OL'men to make plays. We need this guy in the middle of our defense.

They actually have us taking Anthony Davis / OT / Rutgers at #9. http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php Though I like what I've seen from Morgan, and I know we need an OT, McClain has to be the guy if he's on the board. When was the last time we had a LB like McClain heading up the defense? Some may argue that London Fletcher was the same kind of player, but I don't believe it. Fletcher was a tackling machine, but McClain does the same things at pretty much the size of a DE. He's also more physical than Fletcher was and can shed OL'men to make plays. We need this guy in the middle of our defense.

McClain is nice, but is he really that much better than Brandon Spikes who may very well be there in the 2nd?

Oh, you're right, they switched their pick. If you look at the bottom of the writeup of Davis, it says that the pick had previously been Morgan.

I love McClain and would be happy if we get him. But I just don't find LB to be as crucial a position as pass-rushing DE. DEs are real impact players, and McClain, while a terrific LB, is not particularly a pass rusher.