Pete Carroll ACCEPTS deal with Seattle

papazoid

jimmy johnson did ok in dallas

Yeah, he and Bill Walsh are the names always bandied about by everyone...how many college coaches have tried the NFL and 2 have succeeded?

Horrible percentage...

Owners would have a better percentage of winning the lottery...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, he and Bill Walsh are the names always bandied about by everyone...how many college coaches have tried the NFL and 2 have succeeded?

Horrible percentage...

Let's not forget the amazing (cough) coaching job Barry Switzer did!

a lot of money for a guy who is going to suck again as an NFL coach. Carroll is great at recruiting. There is no recruiting in the NFL. He is NOT a good NFL coach...huge difference between pro and college coaching. Why NFL teams cannot understand you have a 20x better chance of hiring a good coach that is a coordinator instead of the best college coach is beyond me...

Saban to Miami---fail

Spurrier to Washington---fail

Petrino to Atlanta---fail

Davis to Cleveland---fail

Carroll to Seattle---will fail

He's 33-31 as an NFL head coach. Being over .500, I think, makes him at least a good NFL coach.

Dicky J, by comparison, is 60-82 for career, and 35-45 w/ Chicago, 24-33 w/ Buffalo.

a lot of money for a guy who is going to suck again as an NFL coach. Carroll is great at recruiting. There is no recruiting in the NFL. He is NOT a good NFL coach...huge difference between pro and college coaching. Why NFL teams cannot understand you have a 20x better chance of hiring a good coach that is a coordinator instead of the best college coach is beyond me...

Saban to Miami---fail

Carroll has a slightly above .500 record as a HC in the NFL already, where he was hired after being a good coordinator. None of the other guys had NFL HC experience with I believe only Saban some NFL experience(Cleveland LB's coach I think before going to Michigan State).

i do see this deal as complicating the bills signing cowher......Carroll is also getting the title of President....giving him FINAL SAY on draft picks etc... bill cowher who might have been willing to accept less power with buffalo, is probably having second thoughts now.

Horrible percentage...

how many coaches from whatever channel have succeeded?

didn't they know Cowher was available???????????

People here complain that Buffalos front office/ownership is bad, but Seattle didn't even attempt to go after St. Cowher.

I was reading a Seahawks board yesterday when the news broke and they were all excited over the possibility of Cowher. I wonder what they think of Carroll.

People here complain that Buffalos front office/ownership is bad, but Seattle didn't even attempt to go after St. Cowher.

Maybe Seattle wasn't trying to placate their fans into thinking that they made an honest effort to get a big name coach. Someone on this board made a good point months ago (when the Shanahan rumors were flying around), that this is just a ploy by the organization, which will eventually take a lesser individual and say, "well we tried."

I think Seattle, Cleveland, and Washington have acted impetuously, and will come to regret that they didn't take the time, like the Bills, to conduct a thorough, methodical, thorough, methodical, thorough, methodical..., see if Russ and Ralph their names, or anything about them, "type" search.

Saban to Miami---fail

Agree 100%

I think Seattle, Cleveland, and Washington have acted impetuously, and will come to regret that they didn't take the time, like the Bills, to conduct a thorough, methodical, thorough, methodical, thorough, methodical..., see if Russ and Ralph their names, or anything about them, "type" search.

but Bills fans would have been overjoyed if Cowher, or Shanahan accepted the job right after DJ was fired and the Bills interviewed no one else cause then they would have got "their" man.

Why are the Redskins going to regret Shanahan, he was a guy Bills fans were all over when the Bills went after him.

Like him or not (and I personally don't), I don't think Cleveland made a mistake keeping mangini for another year, they finished the season playing some very good football and he deserved to keep his job for atleast another year.

You may be correct with Seattle though, but Carroll was obviously the reason why they fired Mora, he was the guy they wanted all along

Horrible percentage...

Dick Vermeil was a very successful head coach at UCLA.

Let's not forget the amazing (cough) coaching job Barry Switzer did!

There are exceptions to any trend. The wisdom is in spotting who will succeed. I'm not a big Carroll fan. But conventional and dogmatic thinking ("Never hire a college head coach as an NFL head coach") isn't a guarantee of success. There are plenty of coordinators who have failed as head coaches too. There are also plenty of NFL head coaches who failed in their first and second attempts.

Matter and Mike, you make it sound as if you think you can follow a few simple rules and as a result, be successful.

The bottom line is that it's hard to succeed as a coach in the NFL, whichever route was taken.

You know, in some way I think that is a major bummer for college football, and for USC.

Carroll built a great program in SoCal, and he has created a modern day legacy that should he remain could mirror the legacies of Joe Paterno of Penn State and Bowden in FSU.

60 minutes did an interesting piece on Carroll a couple of seasons ago, and Carroll seemed completely fulfilled in the college game and at USC. He never succeeded in the NFL because his antics and behavior are better suited to college football players, and not professionals.

Carroll coached at New England, and with the Jets. Both teams under his watch both suffered from a general lack of direction, and once he left those clubs each time the players sighed relief that both he and his collegiate atmosphere were gone.

Seattle is on the West Coast, not too far from California, and I could see Carroll having a place in his heart still reserved for the Pro game and wanting to make it right.

I just don't think that he ever will.

Too bad for USC, and too bad for the NFL and Seahawks.

Horrible percentage...

:thumbsup:

If I heard that Buffalo had signed him I would be disappointed. 10-1 odds he never gets past the first round of the playoffs.

It kills me how quick people on this board read between the lines of anything to predict doom and gloom for the Bills ... but nobody has jumped on the theory that the Seahawks may have contacted Cowher covertly to gauge his interest and Cowher told them no thanks he was probably going to the Bills.

I'm not saying this is what happened ... just saying it's funny that now one mentioned it ... now that I've mentioned it ... it is no longer funny thank you very much :thumbsup:

What's really bad about the Seatle FO is that they gave Mora just 1 year to do something with the team before dumping him and going with the next big thing.