"The Perfect Speaker"

ajzepp

This seems like a good thread to add onto instead of starting a new thread:

I don't know much about home entertainment stuff. I haven't bought anything new in 15 plus years....So, anyway, this past week, I had a large screen hdtv, an entertainment center, etc. set up.......I'm very happy with the setup, but not so much with the TV. It's a plasma, and I knew they weren't as good for relective ambient light, but my friends who had it said it really wasn't an issue..........Now that it's installed, it really is an issue, much more than I thought it would be (and looking one of my friend's plasma invoices, they had bought a TV with a filter for this issue).

So, my question is how much leeway to I have to say I would like to trade this TV for a different one. One without this problem, and one I'd be willing to pay more for?

That's really about the only knock I've heard about plasmas is the glare issue. Where did you buy it? Places like Best Buy, Walmart, and CostCo will let you return it within 30 days or so if you're not happy. You may want to look at an LCD. The overall best display I've ever seen was a plasma (Pioneer Elite), but LCDs have really come a long way and the PQ is stunning.

There are others on here who are more knowledgeable about TVs than I am, so hopefully they'll chime in. There's also a good thread on tv's in the consumer forum you may want to read through.

Good luck!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and I knew they weren't as good for relective ambient light, but my friends who had it said it really wasn't an issue..........Now that it's installed, it really is an issue, much more than I thought it would be

What exactly is the problem....? Is it glare? (ie: you can see other parts of your room in the screen), or something else?

That's really about the only knock I've heard about plasmas is the glare issue. Where did you buy it? Places like Best Buy, Walmart, and CostCo will let you return it within 30 days or so if you're not happy. You may want to look at an LCD. The overall best display I've ever seen was a plasma (Pioneer Elite), but LCDs have really come a long way and the PQ is stunning.

There are others on here who are more knowledgeable about TVs than I am, so hopefully they'll chime in. There's also a good thread on tv's in the consumer forum you may want to read through.

Good luck!

I bought it at Stereo Advantage.

What exactly is the problem....? Is it glare? (ie: you can see other parts of your room in the screen), or something else?

Yes, that's exactly the problem......I have to have no lights on and it has to be at night to really not have an issue!

have you called Stereo Advantage and asked about their return policy?

No, I wanted to be like a lawyer "don't ask any question, that you don't know the answer already."..........I was hoping to find what is the industry standard on this stuff, especially if they installed it.

i used to work with the guy who makes this stuff....

http://www.wooaudio.com/

That's awesome, man....to me, that's the best thing about the internet...there are all sorts of very smart people making very good audio gear from their work benches. My DAC is from a company called Tube Audio Design, which is basically a guy working out of his basement, but the stuff he builds is top notch. My preamp is a great little tubed piece from a retired engineering professor....his company is called Mapletree Audio Design. With all the access to online forums and consumer feedback, we're able to review a lot of these products and many of them really become substantial enterprises. I love finding small business gems!

No, I wanted to be like a lawyer "don't ask any question, that you don't know the answer already."..........I was hoping to find what is the industry standard on this stuff, especially if they installed it.

Does anybody know the standards on returns in this industry.......You lost me with the Judge Judy thing, SDS.

• 2 weeks later...

To answer my own question on this thread.......Stereo Advantage said they would not take the TV back - at least my salesman. He said they never have taken anything back that was opened. I said that makes no sense because how would you know the quality until it was opened.......Anyway, after I made it clear that I was willing to spend more on a different TV, as well as additional components, he did agree to take back my plasma and switch it to an LCD.

So, one of the new things that I needed were new speakers, since the Stereo Advantage installers said my speakers were blown. So, he asked if I want good better or best........I said how about better and he showed me a pair of Polk speakers for $199. I said sold.

So, now they came and brought my blu ray, the new TV, some other stuff, and the new Polk speakers. The installers were in a hurry, so they didn't test things out like the first installers........We did check the new turntable and the speakers sounded good with that.

However, when I went to test the rest of the components when the installers were gone, it seemed like the woofers were already shot - at least on one of them........I asked the installers how far I can crank it and they said about 1 o'clock.......and when I got up to about that or really past 11 o'clock, they started distorting.

So, my question for you audiophiles is: Should I expect distortion at such a low volume (actually the volume is higher than my previous speakers in the same position, but I'm talking about at level 4-5 or whatever) with $199 Polks?

I don't know if I'll be able to talk them into switching these, too, but I would be willing to pay more for better quality.

Can somebody at least tell me if a consumer has any rights to return speakers back that they aren't happy with...Just with the TV, I'm getting grief on this? It seems like a bad way of doing business.

As you can tell from my earlier posts, my understanding is that it's determined by store policy. I don't know of any "industry standard", but I guess that doesn't mean there isn't one.

If you feel they are not playing fair with you, then what I'd suggest you do is contact your state attorney general. I had to do that once about twelve years ago with regard to a recall notice on my vehicle that I was not made aware of. They will file your report and investigate for you. I ended up receiving a check from Chrysler to repair the damages to my Eagle Talon that resulted directly from the recall issue.

I doubt you'll have to go that far, but it's an effective option should you need it. Even putting it in writing that your intent is to file a report with the atty general can be enough motivation for them to resolve your issue. This store has already (seemingly) worked with you on the tv issue, so take the same approach with the speakers. Tell them you're active on several online forums and if they are comfortable selling you damaged goods and not doing anything about it, you're happy to discuss your experience with the tens of thousands of other people who participate in such forums.

That's all I got, man.

As you can tell from my earlier posts, my understanding is that it's determined by store policy. I don't know of any "industry standard", but I guess that doesn't mean there isn't one.

If you feel they are not playing fair with you, then what I'd suggest you do is contact your state attorney general. I had to do that once about twelve years ago with regard to a recall notice on my vehicle that I was not made aware of. They will file your report and investigate for you. I ended up receiving a check from Chrysler to repair the damages to my Eagle Talon that resulted directly from the recall issue.

I doubt you'll have to go that far, but it's an effective option should you need it. Even putting it in writing that your intent is to file a report with the atty general can be enough motivation for them to resolve your issue. This store has already (seemingly) worked with you on the tv issue, so take the same approach with the speakers. Tell them you're active on several online forums and if they are comfortable selling you damaged goods and not doing anything about it, you're happy to discuss your experience with the tens of thousands of other people who participate in such forums.

That's all I got, man.

Thank you!

• 11 months later...

I wanted to resurrect this thread to let you guys know that the greatest speaker company on earth - Magnepan - has just come out with another fantastic speaker. This new model, the 3.7, is the successor to the speaker I own, the 3.6r. The 3.6 has been around for 12 years and, along with the speakers mentioned earlier in this thread, has been considered among the best speakers at and above its price point. I purchased my 3.6's about two years ago and have loved every minute I've spent with them. I don't have any desire to upgrade just yet, but at least now I have an upgrade path to focus on when the time comes. The 3.7 is already receiving rave reviews, and I expect many more to follow. And while these speakers are not inexpensive by any means, Magnepan has models starting as low as $300 (I also own a pair of those, which I use as surrounds). One of the best things about this company is that it's based in the good ol' US of A, so you can be proud to spend money with one of the great American companies. :thumbsup: If any of you guys are in the market for new speakers, I highly suggest you take a trip to your local Maggie dealer and give a listen :)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20026702-47.html

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/news/magnepan_mg37.htm

http://www.avguide.com/article/magnepan-announces-the-new-magneplanar-37-big-brother-the-17

One of the best things about this company is that it's based in the good ol' US of A, so you can be proud to spend money with one of the great American companies. :thumbsup:

They're a Minnesota company, right down the street from where I work.

They're a Minnesota company, right down the street from where I work.

Didn't you have a friend who was looking at Maggies a while back? Did he/she ever pull the trigger? I don't know how much interest you have in this, but my understanding is that they give factory tours at the Magnepan headquarters. Since you live so close you should check em out sometime and put that camera of yours to use :D

I've spoken to several of the folks at the office, including the director of marketing, Wendell Diller. They are good people...very cordial and professional.