Raiders blow off Gannon's offer to help

"I'm not making that call again."

Way to go, Al Davis. One of the better QB's in your team's history calls you and offers his help, and you tell him to get bent?? Say what you will about Ralph Wilson but at least he doesn't live in Crazyville like Al Davis.

PTR

Raiders responded by telling Gannon "You are the one that needs help"

Wow...I don't think you could even make stuff up that would be crazier than what routinely happens in Oakland...

Way to go, Al Davis. One of the better QB's in your team's history calls you and offers his help, and you tell him to get bent?? Say what you will about Ralph Wilson but at least he doesn't live in Crazyville like Al Davis.

PTR

The Raiders responded that Gannon was the one who needed help.

That probably isn't verbatim, so I wonder what was actually said. :D

In fairness to...Al Davis,

Ralph never made peace with the greatest coach in Bills history, Lou Saban, before Lou passed away.

And Ralph has still not made peace with the player many longtime Bills fans consider the greatest player in Bills' history, Cookie Gilchrist.

Ralph also fired the best General Manager the Bills have ever had, Bill Polian.

Al Davis has generally treated ex-Raiders as family, hiring many of them after their playing days were over. How many former Bills do you recall Ralph ever hiring (except for alumni association stuff)?

Davis is pissed at Gannon because Gannon has criticized the Raiders in his role as an NFL game analyst. Al considers that to be a betrayal of faith and loyalty.

If Al Davis is a bit more cooky at this point, it's only by a little bit, IMO.

In fairness to...Al Davis,

Ralph never made peace with the greatest coach in Bills history, Lou Saban, before Lou passed away.

And Ralph has still not made peace with the player many longtime Bills fans consider the greatest player in Bills' history, Cookie Gilchrist.

Ralph also fired the best General Manager the Bills have ever had, Bill Polian.

Al Davis has generally treated ex-Raiders as family, hiring many of them after their playing days were over. How many former Bills do you recall Ralph ever hiring (except for alumni association stuff)?

Davis is pissed at Gannon because Gannon has criticized the Raiders in his role as an NFL game analyst. Al considers that to be a betrayal of faith and loyalty.

If Al Davis is a bit more cooky at this point, it's only by a little bit, IMO.

Wait, Al Davis is the GM of his team, and you think he is only a LITTLE more cooky? :thumbsup::wallbash:

The Bills have been competing for the title of second most dysfunctional franchise (with, I think, Detroit, St. Louis and Jacksonville).

But I do think it is wise to keep former players at a distance from the team. If you want to be a coach, then work towards that. Put in your time. Don't just call the team for a position one day.

I've always liked that Raiders mystique from the 70's and 80's, but the last time the Raiders were even relevant, besides that Super Bowl run a few years ago was in 91 when the Bills beat them 51-3 to go to Super Bowl 25 (can we finally get rid of the roman numerals?).

I always like the Silver and Black, marauding image. But those days have been a long time coming.

Al Davis is a turd, and that is certainly no way to treat your alumni. No wonder they suck.

Who on the Raiders said "you need the help" Al?....................I remember back in the early 80s when players wanted free agency, and people were talking about bad it would be for the game. They said every good player would go to Al Davis and the Raiders. So much for prognostications!

But I do think it is wise to keep former players at a distance from the team. If you want to be a coach, then work towards that. Put in your time. Don't just call the team for a position one day.

Except he didn't call them asking for a job. He called them to say he'd be willing to spend some time with Russell and see if he could help him with his experience.

PTR

Crazy Al thought he was talking to "Nick Cannon".

PTR

OAK ended up 5 - 11, one win behind BUF. They beat CIN, PHI, PIT, DEN, and lost a last-game most important to BAL, going into the 4th down by 1 point. Meanwhile, BUF faced playoff-bound IND in a snowstorm with a guy named Painter doing 4/17 mop-up duty.

OAK's D has been pretty talented the past 2 years. Who knows what happens next, with the uncapped thing? - but (Al Davis aside), the Raiders may make some noise next season IMO.

Wait, Al Davis is the GM of his team, and you think he is only a LITTLE more cooky? :ph34r::lol:

Well, the Bills and Raiders have both been in existence since 1960.

The Raiders have a .550 winning percentage, the Bills have a .479 winning percentage.

The Raiders have gone to 5 Super Bowls, winning 3 of them. We are 0-4 in Super Bowls.

The Raiders went to the Super Bowl as recently as 2003. The Bills haven't been to the big game since 1994.

So you could say that Al Davis the GM has outperformed all of our GMs going back to 1960.

Yeah Davis has gotten a bit flaky recently but how would you describe our team and its dysfunction and ineptitude over the last decade? Davis is an easier target than Ralph but by what margin?

Yes, we've won 16 more games over the last 5 years. Is that really worth anything at all? What has that really gotten us? Unfortunately for this lifelong Bills fan, I have to admit the truth. The Bills right now are a joke. A bad joke.