Anthony Davis at pick number 9

billsfan89

I think that QB and LT are our biggest issues along the offensive side of the ball. But at pick number 9 we aren't exactly in a position to land either of the top QB's (In my estimation its Clausen and Bradford) without trading up.

Now with Eric Berry, Suh, and Gerald McCoy being the defensive difference makers likely to go in the 8 picks ahead of us and with Bradford and Clausen being the 2 QB's taken and Okung being the LT going ahead of us who is the guy that can help us out at LT.

Well I think Anthony Davis is our guy at pick number 9. He is a 6 foot 5 (Closer to 6 foot 6 then 6 foot 5) 325 pound LT from Rutgers. Davis played guard his 1st year but in his sophomore year moved out to tackle where he has played since (Currently a junior and 20 years old but has declared for the draft). He is a cold weather guy (I think New Jersey and the Big East qualify as cold weather) who fits our need. Right now Davis is a highly regarded prospect (Most have him between 16-10 on their draft boards).

I feel our O-line is a LT away from being a promising unit. With Levitre and Hangartner already there and Wood and Butler set to return from injury all we need is a LT to make the unit a solid one (Resigning Incognito to join Bell and Meridith as backups would be a good idea as well). And with Levitre, Hangartner, and Wood having played 10 games with each other its likely they won't have as big of a chemistry issue as they did entering the season (With Levitre and the Hangman having finished out the season playing with each other).

What is everyone else's thoughts on Davis do you think he should be our guy at pick number 9? Or should QB or defense take priority over the O-line. To me we can help the D in free agency/trades easier then the O-line (good LT's are never available in free agency) and at pick 9 there are likely to be no good QB's available.

I think that QB and LT are our biggest issues along the offensive side of the ball. But at pick number 9 we aren't exactly in a position to land either of the top QB's (In my estimation its Clausen and Bradford) without trading up.

Now with Eric Berry, Suh, and Gerald McCoy being the defensive difference makers likely to go in the 8 picks ahead of us and with Bradford and Clausen being the 2 QB's taken and Okung being the LT going ahead of us who is the guy that can help us out at LT.

Well I think Anthony Davis is our guy at pick number 9. He is a 6 foot 5 (Closer to 6 foot 6 then 6 foot 5) 325 pound LT from Rutgers. Davis played guard his 1st year but in his sophomore year moved out to tackle where he has played since (Currently a junior and 20 years old but has declared for the draft). He is a cold weather guy (I think New Jersey and the Big East qualify as cold weather) who fits our need. Right now Davis is a highly regarded prospect (Most have him between 16-10 on their draft boards).

I feel our O-line is a LT away from being a promising unit. With Levitre and Hangartner already there and Wood and Butler set to return from injury all we need is a LT to make the unit a solid one (Resigning Incognito to join Bell and Meridith as backups would be a good idea as well). And with Levitre, Hangartner, and Wood having played 10 games with each other its likely they won't have as big of a chemistry issue as they did entering the season (With Levitre and the Hangman having finished out the season playing with each other).

What is everyone else's thoughts on Davis do you think he should be our guy at pick number 9? Or should QB or defense take priority over the O-line. To me we can help the D in free agency/trades easier then the O-line (good LT's are never available in free agency) and at pick 9 there are likely to be no good QB's available.

Gave up a lot of sacks last year and regressed. Good athlete, questioanble heart. Have been following him since High School days at Piscataway. Late first, early second round pick. Play last season was shaky. A project right now with tendancy to gain weight in off season as he showed up 30 lbs overweight this year to start season. We could do better at 9 elsewhere.

The only choice the Bills should ever consider at the number 9 pick is of course QB. They will get one of the best ones coming out this season (and there are some good ones), and since its' been "only" 14 years since they have not been able to replace Jimbo, it's finally time the Bills used a top 10 pick on the most important position in football. Don't give me the late first round choice on Lost-man as a recent investment in a QB. In most cases, the drop off from top 10 to the bottom 10 picks in the first round talking QB talent is high. (Of course not all cases, lest we ever forget that Tom Brady was picked in the 6th round, and Joe Montana was picked in the 2nd (or was it 3rd) round!! Anyway, now that the Bills have their "football" guy in Buddy Nix running the draft, he should have no problem finding OL talent beginning in the 2nd round and later. This year, at number nine, they MUST take the best QB on their board. In my humble opinion.

The only choice the Bills should ever consider at the number 9 pick is of course QB. They will get one of the best ones coming out this season (and there are some good ones), and since its' been "only" 14 years since they have not been able to replace Jimbo, it's finally time the Bills used a top 10 pick on the most important position in football. Don't give me the late first round choice on Lost-man as a recent investment in a QB. In most cases, the drop off from top 10 to the bottom 10 picks in the first round talking QB talent is high. (Of course not all cases, lest we ever forget that Tom Brady was picked in the 6th round, and Joe Montana was picked in the 2nd (or was it 3rd) round!! Anyway, now that the Bills have their "football" guy in Buddy Nix running the draft, he should have no problem finding OL talent beginning in the 2nd round and later. This year, at number nine, they MUST take the best QB on their board. In my humble opinion.

They don't have many qbs with a high grade this year so it means a reach pick. And we all know how that goes.

Maybe trade down?

I agree in principle that LT is the most pressing need and that the QB situation should be looked at. However, as for QB I'm on the train of thought that says "let's give Brohm at least one full NFL season to evaluate what we have in-house". Brohm may or may not be the answer, I'm not sold either way, but given that he was just drafted in 2008 and highly touted through his last two years at Louisville and taken in the 2nd round, doesn't it stand to reason that just as much promise was demonstrated by him as any other QB coming into this year's draft? And to me after watching a decade of really poor line play, I would rather see the Bills get either a LT in the first round and LB in 2nd or vice-a-versa depending on the value of their pick. Personally, I like the kid out of Iowa who I believe just indicated yesterday that he would enter the draft, LT Brian Bulaga (sp?), as I watched the bowl game, I thought that he was truly impressive with his physical size, strength and ability to get push on his opponents, and he may very well be available in the bottom third of the first round if we were to trade down or try to trade back into the 1st, just my thoughts....

Gave up a lot of sacks last year and regressed. Good athlete, questioanble heart. Have been following him since High School days at Piscataway. Late first, early second round pick. Play last season was shaky. A project right now with tendancy to gain weight in off season as he showed up 30 lbs overweight this year to start season. We could do better at 9 elsewhere.

I keep seeing this kid as going into the 10-20 range no where do I see him being outside of the mid late 1st round. I think that the biggest knock on him was his concentration. BUT I think that if we land Bill Cowher we should think seriously about drafting this kid. I didn't hear about him giving up a lot of sacks this season (I could be wrong despite living in New Jersey I don't care about Rutgers Football) in fact most people say that his pass protection is the strength of his game.

I guess my idea of drafting him revolves around the idea of getting Cowher as coach. Davis is a mauler and projects well as a pro LT assuming he can have a pro mindset. BUT I think a coach like Cowher (And the staff he is likely to bring with him) instantly commands respect and can make the most of a player like Davis.

I do think that the best approach to drafting talent in the NFL is to first determine what position you are going to draft with each pick. That makes the whole process much easier to manage. Instead of a team having to choose between 3 or 4 or 5 players of 'equal' value who all play different positions you focus on a position. When your pick comes up you've already made your pick based on position. If Minnesota had taken this approach a couple years ago they wouldn't have gotten hosed into missing their pick.

All we need to do now is determine what position gets picked in each round. Our major needs are: O-tackle, LB (inside and outside depending on scheme), QB, D-line, WR. How should we arrange our first 5 picks?

The only choice the Bills should ever consider at the number 9 pick is of course QB.

which QB at #9 though? Clausen & Bradford should be gone, and that's too high for the others. Hopefully, Bulaga, Campbell, or Davis will be available in the second, which if true, we should grab McClain at #9. Then hope for LeFevour or Pike in the 3rd.

I'd like to see Nix trade up for an extra rnd 2 pick. Lynch ??

which QB at #9 though? Clausen & Bradford should be gone, and that's too high for the others. Hopefully, Bulaga, Campbell, or Davis will be available in the second, which if true, we should grab McClain at #9. Then hope for LeFevour or Pike in the 3rd.

I'd like to see Nix trade up for an extra rnd 2 pick. Lynch?

And here we go again...

My assessment of the OL is more pessimistic than that.

I think we are forgetting that Butler playing RT was an experiment that was never finished because he was hurt so early. It is not as if he was moved there from guard because of the quality of his play. That move was one of necessity. Whether or not Butler can play RT well enough is an unknown, even more so now that he has to recover from a serious injury. Moreover, I think Hangartner was, at best, mediocre. You'll know this line is truly improved when a guy like Hangartner is no longer good enough to start on it.

Yes, we do need a LT but we may very well need a RT as well as a C too before we can hope to be respectable. As for Wood and Levitre, I think they played well enough, for rookies. They need to take a sizeable step forward next year or they will end up being young Jeff Hangartners, ie, back-ups on good teams and starters on crappy ones.

My assessment of the OL is more pessimistic than that.

I think we are forgetting that Butler playing RT was an experiment that was never finished because he was hurt so early. It is not as if he was moved there from guard because of the quality of his play. That move was one of necessity. Whether or not Butler can play RT well enough is an unknown, even more so now that he has to recover from a serious injury. Moreover, I think Hangartner was, at best, mediocre. You'll know this line is truly improved when a guy like Hangartner is no longer good enough to start on it.

Yes, we do need a LT but we may very well need a RT as well as a C too before we can hope to be respectable. As for Wood and Levitre, I think they played well enough, for rookies. They need to take a sizeable step forward next year or they will end up being young Jeff Hangartners, ie, back-ups on good teams and starters on crappy ones.

I was frustrated that Hangartner was the only guy on the OL NOT to get injured. I wasn't rooting for an injury, but I was hoping all year that Wood would be moved to his true position of center so Hangartner, who shouldn't be considered our future at center, could be relegated to bench.

In addition to Butler at RT being an experiment, Butler can't seem to stay healthy for a full season and the OT's on the depth chart behind him aren't worthy of being backups on a decent team. We need at least two OT additions this offseason.

maybe trade back in to mid/late first round to grab him . workouts could changes everything however

To me we can help the D in free agency/trades easier then the O-line (good LT's are never available in free agency) and at pick 9 there are likely to be no good QB's available.

I hear ya. What team would be dumb enough to get rid of a good LT?