Perry Fewell to interview with Giants and Bears

When, precisely, were his defenses good?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/

Looks like well-below-average to me, with one average performance thrown in there (2008).

For sure his D's were well-below average (a production rate at 19th which is in the 2nd third of the league), however, where the stats INDICATE he did a better job than Jauron coaching was that at some point when he took over the team was ranked 32nd in the league.

The question is not whether the Fewell team was good (it was not flat out) the question in fact is whether the Bills were better with Fewell than they were under the other HC.

My sense (again reflected by the ultimate stat W/L is that he took over a team which was 3-6 when he got it and through motivation, toughness, inspiration (and some slight improvements in play calling) he produced a 3-4 record as HC.

Is he good?

No, not with this team (which actually had a Bills record # of guys on IR and easily could have cashed in the season and finished at a 1-6 or 2-5 record consistent with Jauron output).

Was he better?

Yep.

He deserves to be gone as Bills HC, but all looks good as both he and the YEAM were helped by the job he did!

The one where Nix mentions that he prefers to hire an experienced coach.

"Fewell said he considers himself a long shot for the job with the team preferring an experienced coach"

Translation: No Brian Schottenheimer, no Ron Rivera, no Leslie Frazier, no Cam Cameron, no assistant projects etc.

Ironic since Fewell has double the head coaching experience of any of those guys.

Fewell acknowledged he was a long-shot for the Bills job.

so he's realistic about that. doesn't mean, with a better team and one with a focused front office, he wouldn't be a viable head coach in the NFL one day.

jw

If someone with an estanblished rep does not come along (ie Billick, Cowher) I would prefer Perry to another coordinator ie Ron Rivera.

As long as PErry agrees to scrip the Tampa 2.