Nix comments on Maybin

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerry Sullivan said the other day on WGR that he found out it was DJ who made the Maybin pick. Or at least strongly pushed for it so they pulled the trigger.

Hindsight being 20/20, with starting DE's under contract (Schobel/Kelsay), that pick HAD to be an OLB. Ellison had to be replaced. Hopefully during OTA's someone gives Maybin at least a look at OLB. He's 20-30 pounds too small to be an effective DE.

I don't think it was DJ because DJ knew he had to make the playoffs this year in order to keep his job, so why would he take a player who wasn't going to start or contribute much in his first year?

He probably thought he could get some kind of contribution out of Maybin as a rookie. On the other hand, I don't think Dick ever really had a clue how close to being fired that he actually was.

I'm glad to hear that Buddy Nix realizes how risky a one year wonder at DE usually is. Aside from QB, DEs have the toughest transition to the NFL of any position. Maybin may defy the odds, but you're usually just asking for trouble picking a guy with only one year of production at the collegiate level. A quick look at the list of recent first round DEs proves that pretty decisively.

When asked about 2008 No. 11 overall pick Aaron Maybin, new GM Buddy Nix said "We try not to take guys who are one-year wonders; they'll get you in trouble."

Nix was trying to say that if he was in charge last April, Maybin would not have been the pick. He started just 10 games at Penn State before declaring early for the draft and needs to put on a ton of weight. It's too early to call Maybin a bust, but he has to be considered a project at this point. The "pass rusher" had no sacks in limited snaps this season.

I'm guessing he would have gone with Orakpo or Cushing here. Was it Ralph with the final call last year or Russ?

So, as the Bills "national scout" last year (and as a former "assistant GM/director of player personnel at SD), Buddy is NOW badmouthing the Maybin pick??

Where was buddy last winter/spring? Why wasn't he saying "don't even put this guy on our draft board--he's a one-year wonder"??

Are we saying that as a guy who built the Chargers as their assistsant GM, Nix had NO juice in a war room containing the likes of serial draft killers Ralph, Guy, Modrak and DJ??

Maybin should already be trying to bulk up. Honestly as uneventful a rookie campaign as it was, I never some him screw up contain on the field. He showed some football ability and awareness in his limited time out there, and solid effort/enthusiasm (which showing both makes him better than someone like Vernon Gholston, a true bust). However he needs to gain at least 15 lbs no matter what, and make that his new normal weight. He looked like an anorexic out there.

So, as the Bills "national scout" last year (and as a former "assistant GM/director of player personnel at SD), Buddy is NOW badmouthing the Maybin pick??

Where was buddy last winter/spring? Why wasn't he saying "don't even put this guy on our draft board--he's a one-year wonder"??

Are we saying that as a guy who built the Chargers as their assistsant GM, Nix had NO juice in a war room containing the likes of serial draft killers Ralph, Guy, Modrak and DJ??

What are you implying? Are you saying that he wasn't badmouthing the Maybin Pick?? Are you saying that he wasn't there last winter/spring? Are you saying that he was saying "don't even put this guy on our draft board--he's a one year wonder"??

Are we saying that as a guy who built the Chargers as their assistant GM, Nix had juice in a war room containing the likes of serial draft killers Ralph, Guy, Modrak and DJ??

That was fun :thumbsup:

So your thesis is that a guy who was with the organization for 2 months had the power to override everyone else in the war room with higher titles than him?

Yeah, I think that's pretty much what we're saying. Honestly, where does a 'national scout' rank among the guys present in the so-called 'war room' on draft day...assuming he was even present?

That pick had Dick Jauron written all over it. In the absence of a true GM, he had a great deal of authority over the Bills' player personnel decisions, including the draft.

Dick Jauron went to Yale.

With his job on the line, he chose to go into the season with no left tackle and no depth at linebacker, waste a first-round pick on a project passrusher, fire his offensive coordinator, and scrap the no-huddle offense that he had insisted on a few months beforehand.

Dick Jauron went to Yale, and now he's out of a job.

Dick Jauron went to Yale.

With his job on the line, he chose to go into the season with no left tackle and no depth at linebacker, waste a first-round pick on a project passrusher, fire his offensive coordinator, and scrap the no-huddle offense that he had insisted on a few months beforehand.

Dick Jauron went to Yale, and now he's out of a job.

You really believe DJ thought his job was on the line? He just signed a new 3 year 9 mil contract with Ralph Wilson. DJ was retained after that horrific finish last year because he was owed too much $$. No way DJ thought Ralph would eat 6 mil for the next 2 seasons if he didn't produce. I'm sure he figured he had one more year on top of this one at the least.

If I was DJ, I wouldn't have been concerned about my job at all heading into this year.

It was clearly DJ. That is also why we picked a db in round 2 (although that one worked great, it was still a reach pick for a db, highly indicative of DJs influence.

We will be paying for DJs moronic take on the NFL for many years to come.

IIRC the Bears came out after the draft and said they would have picked Byrd with the 49th pick if they had a chance. Was it a reach? At the time yes. I remember screaming because Everrett Brown was still on the board. But hey as of now it's worked out.

When asked about 2008 No. 11 overall pick Aaron Maybin, new GM Buddy Nix said "We try not to take guys who are one-year wonders; they'll get you in trouble."

Nix was trying to say that if he was in charge last April, Maybin would not have been the pick. He started just 10 games at Penn State before declaring early for the draft and needs to put on a ton of weight. It's too early to call Maybin a bust, but he has to be considered a project at this point. The "pass rusher" had no sacks in limited snaps this season.

I'm guessing he would have gone with Orakpo or Cushing here. Was it Ralph with the final call last year or Russ?

He can play PC all he wants, you get him alone with a steak and a couple beers and I am willing to be he says no way in hell would he have made that pick.

Yeah, I think that's pretty much what we're saying. Honestly, where does a 'national scout' rank among the guys present in the so-called 'war room' on draft day...assuming he was even present?

That pick had Dick Jauron written all over it. In the absence of a true GM, he had a great deal of authority over the Bills' player personnel decisions, including the draft.

My point is that if he couldn't/didn't convince these stooges that Maybin was a toxic pick, then it's certainly possible that his opinion of Maybin was different then than what he says it is now. We're talkng about a first round pick.

You really believe DJ thought his job was on the line? He just signed a new 3 year 9 mil contract with Ralph Wilson. DJ was retained after that horrific finish last year because he was owed too much $$. No way DJ thought Ralph would eat 6 mil for the next 2 seasons if he didn't produce. I'm sure he figured he had one more year on top of this one at the least.

If I was DJ, I wouldn't have been concerned about my job at all heading into this year.

I'm fairly certain he was told specifically that his job was on the line, yes. That's why his moves (installing then de-installing the no-huddle, firing Schonert), were so desperate.