Funniest two news stories

Not long after reading that the televangelist Bret Hume had urged Tiger Woods to leave Buddism and convert to "compassionate and forgiving" Christianity I saw this news article about Christians in Uganda passing a law making homosexuality a capital offense. So much for being forgiving

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/04/world/africa/04uganda.html

Uganda is an exceptionally lush, mostly rural country where conservative Christian groups wield enormous influence. This is, after all, the land of proposed virginity scholarships, songs about Jesus playing in the airport, “Uganda is Blessed” bumper stickers on Parliament office doors and a suggestion by the president’s wife that a virginity census could be a way to fight AIDS.

During the Bush administration, American officials praised Uganda’s family-values policies and steered millions of dollars into abstinence programs.

Uganda has also become a magnet for American evangelical groups. Some of the best known Christian personalities have recently passed through here, often bringing with them anti-homosexuality messages, including the Rev. Rick Warren, who visited in 2008 and has compared homosexuality to pedophilia. (Mr. Warren recently condemned the anti-homosexuality bill, seeking to correct what he called “lies and errors and false reports” that he played a role in it.)

Many Africans view homosexuality as an immoral Western import, and the continent is full of harsh homophobic laws. In northern Nigeria, gay men can face death by stoning. Beyond Africa, a handful of Muslim countries, like Iran and Yemen, also have the death penalty for homosexuals. But many Ugandans said they thought that was going too far. A few even spoke out in support of gay people.

Liberals love to mock Christianity and think that being a NON believer is OK...but when someone exposes the opinion that its better to be a believer, thats suddenly a problem.

FWIW, I think Hume's opinion was a bit odd....but you can bet your ass, that if Hume said the opposite....that if Tiger was a Christian and that he should temper his faith and look more to mankind for help, the liberals would love it.

But someone says turn TO Christ and suddenly thats "bad."

Pretty funny.

Not long after reading that the televangelist Bret Hume had urged Tiger Woods to leave Buddism and convert to "compassionate and forgiving" Christianity I saw this news article about Christians in Uganda passing a law making homosexuality a capital offense. So much for being forgiving

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/04/world/africa/04uganda.html

Magox had you pegged early. I suspect the links to another Levi Johnston story isn't far behind this one.

Liberals love to mock Christianity and think that being a NON believer is OK...but when someone exposes the opinion that its better to be a believer, thats suddenly a problem.

FWIW, I think Hume's opinion was a bit odd....but you can bet your ass, that if Hume said the opposite....that if Tiger was a Christian and that he should temper his faith and look more to mankind for help, the liberals would love it.

Pretty funny.

I doesn't sound like there's anything OK about what's going on in Uganda as a result of these Fundamentalist Christian Radicals. Does it sound to you like they're doing the work of your god?

Pretty funny.

That was not my point at all. What preacher boy Bret Hume did is ok in my book. I could care less if Fox news becomes the new 700 Club. But its funny how he says one thing but the reality is totally different

Magox had you pegged early. I suspect the links to another Levi Johnston story isn't far behind this one.

You ragging somebody for being a repetitive partisan hack is the height of irony.

Liberals love to use the line "its an isolated incident/extremist" as an excuse/defense EXCEPT when it comes to Christianity, where "isolated incidents/extremists" suddenly represent the mainstream.

REALLY funny.

Sounds pretty mainstream in Uganda.

Pretty funny.

In itself, Christianity is not a problem. Nor is Islam. Nor is Atheism. It's when people start think that others should act on those beliefs that we have a problem and there is a lot of that going on in this country. One of them is not any better or worse than the other and people have to accept that.

Religion is not good or evil- people are.

You ragging somebody for being a repetitive partisan hack is the height of irony.

Thanks for chiming in, Simon.

For what it's worth, I try to spend more time being critical of current policies of importance (like health care, and wreckless spending) than I do starting threads about every stupid thing that my party blathers on about. While I am unwavering in my conservative beliefs, and am admittedly partisan to that extent, to me a partisan hack (as it relates to this board) is the person who find it necessary to post and criticize every single thing their opponent is doing. For example, Republicans are screaming for "heads to roll" because of the Pantybomber. As if firing a single person is going to fix the problem. A hack, to me, would be yelling this all day. Similarly, a hack might be excessively critical of the way Obama handled the issue; first calling it "isolated," and then slowly morphing that into "terrorism." That's hardly worth pissing about because (a) no one should be even remotely surprised that this is the way he reacts and (b) the way he reacts now means little in the long term.

On the other hand, most Americans understand that spending and borrowing is out of control, that paying for all of this by excessively taxing people who earn $200K is completely out of whack, and that the health care bill is nothing but a power grab that eats into our freedoms and creates greater dependency on the federal government. And I will argue about those topics all day, not because I'm a hack, but because I'm a conservative small-business owner who simply despises seeing this happen.

But you see a repetitive hack. And that's okay. Partly because I kind of understand your need to pop in on occasion and do little more than take swipes at people, but mostly because I could really give two sschhits what you think about me.

If we adopt a similar policy here in the U.S. we can end the gay marriage controversy. Death by stoning, however, is a bit harsh.

I always thought that (bold) was translated wrong. Maybe it's supposed to say "Get them stoned to death."

"Duuuuuuude, I'm stoned to death right now. Amaaaaazing stuff."

:D