Worlds Tallest Tower Opens

MattyT

The upper 30 or 40 floors are so tiny that they're useless, so they can't use them for anything else apart from storage. They've built a small, not so useful storage warehouse half a mile in the sky.

Read another article recently about the Australian company that got the contract to wash the windows. Yikes, wouldn't want to be hanging outside of that place. <_<

I like tall buildings too, but for their function more than their form. Scraping the sky out of necessity of the environment around the site. Making a bold statement with form and design, as driven by the need to build up.

The country that has built their own man-made islands builds up 800 meters, just because they can? It feels unnecessary and over-zealous. However, from an engineering standpoint, the design of a building the size of two Empire State Buildings stacked one on the other is impressive, and I'm interested in reading more about those challenges. I'm sure, like the article mentioned, that much was learned which will be used and improved upon in the future.

Lots of tenant space available...Talk 'em down if you're thinking of leasing, they're desperate!!!

Dubai is a disaster in the making. Just a gut feeling...

One has to wonder if Al Qaida will seize the opportunity. Just a big freakin target, then again Dubai isn't a country filled with infidels now is it. Rich Arab aholes making billions off oil, but not infidels. :thumbsup:

It feels unnecessary and over-zealous.

One has to wonder what's the point and where does it end? It feels like a giant "who's got the biggest pee pee" contest.

One has to wonder if Al Qaida will seize the opportunity. Just a big freakin target, then again Dubai isn't a country filled with infidels now is it. Rich Arab aholes making billions off oil, but not infidels. :thumbsup:

Dubai is not a country, it's a city. The country is the United Arab Emerates. Despite the name, it is my understanding there is a significant number of non-Islamic, non-Arab people in the country.

I had a friend in college from the UAE and he was of Christian-Indian descent. According to him, there was a huge number of Indians of various religions in the country. The oil industry and the development of Dubai is a big draw for highly educated, highly technical Indians. The culture, at least in the region he was from, is extremely Westernized, as you can tell by looking at Dubai. Take that for what it is worth.

So yes, one has to wonder...