Google's Phone Official

DrDawkinstein

Not bad but will never fly with me as long as it's T-Mobile. The coolest thing about the Nexus release is that I get a preview of what Android 2.1 will look like when it comes to my Moto Droid. <_<

Where I live and work (Miami/Fort Lauderdale), the only provider that doesn't drop calls all the effing time is TMobile. All the rest of them bite the big barloonga. It's not like I live in Buzzard's Butt Wyoming, fer Chrissakes. My work phone is Sprint and the coverage (or lack of it) is putrid.

for the non techies, can someone explain how this is better than the droid or droid eris?

It's basically a droid eris on steroids hardware-wise. And it's currently the only phone that runs the latest Android OS, but that doesn't mean much because it will be released to other Android phones in the very near future.

Looks eerily similar to my Droid interface.

I would have thought that when good came out with its own phone (and therefore competing with itself) it would have been groundbreaking.

The iPhone, as much as I hate AT&T (nothing against apple) changed phones forever. The "google phone" looks like a rounded Driod... bleh.

And one other thing... how is this different than other android phones? Its made by HTC.......

Better hardware...smaller form factor (very slim)....Android 2.1. I think that's it in a nutshell. Like I said, it's basically a high-end Droid Eris.

Better hardware...smaller form factor (very slim)....Android 2.1. I think that's it in a nutshell. Like I said, it's basically a high-end Droid Eris.

I have the droid. Surprisingly, I find myself using the hardware keyboard constantly(Its a complaint made by some). The only keyboard I liked better was on the HTC Touch Pro2, but I hated that phone for EVERYTHING other than the keyboard.

I have the droid. Surprisingly, I find myself using the hardware keyboard constantly...

Me too. Although there's an app called Crocodile Keyboard that greatly improved my accuracy on the touch screen keyboard....but still mostly hardware keyboard for me.

I posted a list of Android apps that I like for a friend of mine on Facebook a few days ago. I thought I'd copy/paste them here in case anyone's interested...

- Dolphin browser (pinch to zoom - like iPhone)

- crocodile keyboard

- swift (if u twitter)

- Locale

- shopsavvy

- shazaam

- tunewiki

- advanced task manager

- astro file manager

- NewsRob (rss feed reader)

- nytimes

- wifi analyze (find wifi hotspots)

- google voice

- listen (podcast mgr)

- andFTP

- google goggles

- google skymap

- babeldroid

- beemreader (pdf reader)

- open home

- chompSMS

- documents to go

- note everything

- oi shopping list

- picsay

- movies

Quick phone question I have Verizon as my provider and my current phone is the Voyager and want to know what is the best phone Verizon offers? Or should I just stick with my current Voyager; I like my phone but would be open to an upgrade.

The best phone verizon offers is the droid. It's a great phone, and many people say its better than the iphone.

I have the droid. Surprisingly, I find myself using the hardware keyboard constantly(Its a complaint made by some). The only keyboard I liked better was on the HTC Touch Pro2, but I hated that phone for EVERYTHING other than the keyboard.

I too use the hardware keyboard. It took some time getting use to, but I now have it down pat. My g/f has the Touch Pro2 and I was watching here operate it the other day, and it is far inferior to my Droid. In terms of speed, ease of use and functionality, the Droid is phenomenal. The only thing other than the keyboard that I like better on the Touch Pro 2 is the camera. You have more options available to you with the Droids camera, but the quality of picture is poor, IMHO.

I posted a list of Android apps that I like for a friend of mine on Facebook a few days ago. I thought I'd copy/paste them here in case anyone's interested...

- Dolphin browser (pinch to zoom - like iPhone)

- crocodile keyboard

- swift (if u twitter)

- Locale

- shopsavvy

- shazaam

- tunewiki

- advanced task manager

- astro file manager

- NewsRob (rss feed reader)

- nytimes

- wifi analyze (find wifi hotspots)

- google voice

- listen (podcast mgr)

- andFTP

- google goggles

- google skymap

- babeldroid

- beemreader (pdf reader)

- open home

- chompSMS

- documents to go

- note everything

- oi shopping list

- picsay

- movies

I bolded the apps that I use from your list. Other ones I would suggest would be:

- Layar - augmented reality browser which uses your camera and GPS location to search the internet for things

- Mototorch LED - awesome flashlight app that utilizes the LED flash for a pretty powerful flashlight

- DxTop - home replacement that I find better than open home

- Where - uses your GPS location to find restaurants, cheap gas prices, and twitter feeds to update traffic

- FxCamera - allows you to take different kinds of shots with your camera (ie polaroids, toy camera)

- Beautiful Widgets - widgets for weather, clock, SMS, and calendar that are better than the stock widgets

- Dock runner - when in use, it tricks the phone into thinking its docked on the $30 dock, so it essentially saves you $30

- Talk to me - uses the voice function to translate english to french, spanish, german, and vice versa

- Nav Launcher - is how the stock google maps turn-by-turn navigation should have been made. It allows you to program favorites, saves your Maps search history, and also uses your addresses programmed into your contacts to help you navigate to their location.