Traffic Dispute - Right of Way question

EZC-Boston

Better said you typically have the right of way. Signage or other conditions make always the wrong word.

indeed...I took a short cut...I thought it was understood when both parties have a green light (not arrow) those turning right have the right of way.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When he makes a left, he is on the highway. As you make a right, you are on the on-ramp to get on the highway. You should always yield, as you are the one trying to merge, not him.

If there was no on-ramp, and you were making a right onto the same street that he was trying to make a left onto, then in that situation, the right turn always has the ROW.

but if one is making a left off the highway and one is making right onto the highway, aren't they going to be 'tangent' to each other and not crossing paths?

When he makes a left, he is on the highway. As you make a right, you are on the on-ramp to get on the highway. You should always yield, as you are the one trying to merge, not him.

If there was no on-ramp, and you were making a right onto the same street that he was trying to make a left onto, then in that situation, the right turn always has the ROW.

Oooh good catch. They just finished rebuilding that intersection, I don't believe that yield sign is there right now but I'll check tonight. I admit, if I'm blowing that yield sign, my bad.

I'm pretty certain that it's still there, but I could be wrong. I work at that building at Davis Dr and I-40 but I avoid taking 40 at all costs.

Got a similar intersection by my house, that I would be the guy turning left when getting on the highway. The people making a right onto the ramp have a yield sign.

Ya know - this seems to be a pretty common arrangement - I can think of two by where I work in Tonawanda with the same setup - making a left from Knoche Rd onto the 290E and from Colvin Blvd onto the 290W - where the driver making the left has to yield to traffic coming straight through the intersection but then has the right-of-way over the driver making a right onto the same ramp.

There's an intersection on my way home from work that drives me nuts and yesterday almost caused me to get in a wreck. I was pretty furious and let the other drive know it but this isn't the first time this has happened so maybe I'm in the wrong, I'm coming here for help. Basically it is an on ramp to the highway. I have to drive north on a 5 lane road (2 each direction and 1 turning lane). In order to get on the highway I make a right onto the on ramp. Yesterday as I approached the on ramp, I had a green light so I slowed down but didn't stop and continued on to the ramp. There was a car stopped at in the turning lane to make a left on to the same ramp as I approached. I had my right blinker on and since there were no other cars coming from my direction the guy made a left in front of me and I almost put him in the wall Ricky Bobby style. I wasn't happy, he wasn't happy and I was convinced I was right but so was he. After cooling down, I'm coming here with an open mind, that maybe I'm wrong. So my question to you TSWers, who has the right of way? Me - making a right on to the ramp or him, making a left on the ramp coming from the other direction? I'm including a link to the intersection below. I come from the bottom of the picture on Davis Drive.

Google Map of Intersection

Looks like a ramp to me so wether the light is green or red you still go, correct?

He had the ROW.

but if one is making a left off the highway and one is making right onto the highway, aren't they going to be 'tangent' to each other and not crossing paths?

There is NFW you know what tangent means... :thumbsup:

if you have a green light there is no way in hell he has the ROW. You can cruise right through the intersection or turn right - it matters not if it is a ramp or a grocery store parking lot. He gets the ROW on a green arrow because you will have a red light with an option to turn right on red.

Some of you bastards need to get off the road.

if you have a green light there is no way in hell he has the ROW. You can cruise right through the intersection or turn right - it matters not if it is a ramp or a grocery store parking lot. He gets the ROW on a green arrow because you will have a red light with an option to turn right on red.

Some of you bastards need to get off the road.

He takes the ramp before the intersection, so the light doesn't matter, coming from the bottom of the map. (if I am understanding him correctly)

He takes the ramp before the intersection, so the light doesn't matter, coming from the bottom of the map. (if I am understanding him correctly)

ok, I see it now. I interpreted as he made a right on the colored road just like the guy making the left.

No doubt there is a yield sign on that ramp. The other driver has the ROW for sure in this case, because the OP is merging and you can't back up the the ramp by having the left-turners stopping.

I would say you are in the right. Even if ther was no other traffic in your direction... Doesn't give the driver making the left the right to beat in front of you... After all YOU are the other traffic... I would think they would ield to you first.

You are in NE right? <_< I noticed A LOT of people (the first car turning left) tend to make lefts right in front of drivers (going straight) right when the light changes green... What is up with that douchery? Can't they get under the light and wait? Afterall, if they get under the light, they are certain to turn within that light cycle.

Just be lucky the area you were in wasn't using those new fangled LED, energy saving light bulbs in the traffic light AND it was snowing... Haven't you heard people are getting killed at intersections... <_<

Here is the skinny... Seems normal incandescent bulbs heat up and can melt snow and ice. The greeny LED lights run cool and can't do that.

Sure it is the driver's fault if the go through a light that is out without stopping first... But, it only takes a second to die and some other putz to eff up. <_<

Glad everybody is saving a ton of money on the new bulbs Al Gore! ;)

If I am understanding the scenerio correctly, you are merging into the onramp and the other driver turned and is already on the onramp. You are merging and should yield right of way. But the other drivers should be courteous to allow drivers easy merging onto the on ramp.

I agree... I finally figured out what he was saying and how the intersection works... I think the other driver had the ROW seeing the yield sign.

Anyway... What a cluster-eff of a situation... You know there is surely to be accidents at this area because people are confused.

I'm guessing you are wrong, unless there are no yield signs for either direction, then the city/state is wrong and it should be reported.

Normally, the right turn would have the right of way, but you're basically on an on-ramp and the traffic signal at the intersection wouldn't matter to you. The ramp in that situation usually has the yield sign, because the people making a left turn could stack up and block the intersection waiting for the people entering and making the right.

Balls. It is still there. I don't think I ever noticed it before, normally just pay attention to whether the light is green or red. I now have to admit I'm the jackass but at least I won't have to get angry anymore. That being said I think it is stupid that I have to yield to him.