Traffic Dispute - Right of Way question

EZC-Boston

There's an intersection on my way home from work that drives me nuts and yesterday almost caused me to get in a wreck. I was pretty furious and let the other drive know it but this isn't the first time this has happened so maybe I'm in the wrong, I'm coming here for help. Basically it is an on ramp to the highway. I have to drive north on a 5 lane road (2 each direction and 1 turning lane). In order to get on the highway I make a right onto the on ramp. Yesterday as I approached the on ramp, I had a green light so I slowed down but didn't stop and continued on to the ramp. There was a car stopped at in the turning lane to make a left on to the same ramp as I approached. I had my right blinker on and since there were no other cars coming from my direction the guy made a left in front of me and I almost put him in the wall Ricky Bobby style. I wasn't happy, he wasn't happy and I was convinced I was right but so was he. After cooling down, I'm coming here with an open mind, that maybe I'm wrong. So my question to you TSWers, who has the right of way? Me - making a right on to the ramp or him, making a left on the ramp coming from the other direction? I'm including a link to the intersection below. I come from the bottom of the picture on Davis Drive.

Google Map of Intersection

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's an intersection on my way home from work that drives me nuts and yesterday almost caused me to get in a wreck. I was pretty furious and let the other drive know it but this isn't the first time this has happened so maybe I'm in the wrong, I'm coming here for help. Basically it is an on ramp to the highway. I have to drive north on a 5 lane road (2 each direction and 1 turning lane). In order to get on the highway I make a right onto the on ramp. Yesterday as I approached the on ramp, I had a green light so I slowed down but didn't stop and continued on to the ramp. There was a car stopped at in the turning lane to make a left on to the same ramp as I approached. I had my right blinker on and since there were no other cars coming from my direction the guy made a left in front of me and I almost put him in the wall Ricky Bobby style. I wasn't happy, he wasn't happy and I was convinced I was right but so was he. After cooling down, I'm coming here with an open mind, that maybe I'm wrong. So my question to you TSWers, who has the right of way? Me - making a right on to the ramp or him, making a left on the ramp coming from the other direction? I'm including a link to the intersection below. I come from the bottom of the picture on Davis Drive.

Unless you have a stop or a yield, you should have the right of way. It's hard to say only reading about it, but I would think there SHOULD be a stop or yield sign there. Especially since I would assume that guy has a green arrow. Normally when I see a green arrow I think "right of way".

In the end, I think you're both right. Considering the other guy has to wait for a light and will be trying to get through the light as quickly as possible along with the traffic in front/behind him, it would be the smart (safe) move to yield to that traffic, no matter who the actual right of way belongs to.

There's an intersection on my way home from work that drives me nuts and yesterday almost caused me to get in a wreck. I was pretty furious and let the other drive know it but this isn't the first time this has happened so maybe I'm in the wrong

AFAIK, a motorist turning left absent specific signage that allows him and deters you, or a signal arrow that causes you to halt, must yield to straight traffic or another motorist turning right.

AFAIK, a motorist turning left absent specific signage that allows him and deters you, or a signal arrow that causes you to halt, must yield to straight traffic or another motorist turning right.

+1 Of course those chariots follow different rules :thumbsup:

If you were making a right off of Davis onto Park (coming from the bottom of the screen) there is a yield sign for you (do the Street View). Unless I misinterpreted your direction, it sounds like he had the right of way.

It's kind of counter-intuitive that a driver making a left across traffic would have the RoW over you just sliding up the right, but that's how it works around me anyways.

Other Guy 1

EZC 0

he said he had a green light on a right hand turn....i would hope the only option for the light in the opposite direction was also a green light, and the right hand turn on a green light always has right of way....shiv the mofo

Have you ever come the other way? What kind of light coming the other way?

If you were making a right off of Davis onto Park (coming from the bottom of the screen) there is a yield sign for you (do the Street View). Unless I misinterpreted your direction, it sounds like he had the right of way.

It's kind of counter-intuitive that a driver making a left across traffic would have the RoW over you just sliding up the right, but that's how it works around me anyways.

Other Guy 1

EZC 0

Oooh good catch. They just finished rebuilding that intersection, I don't believe that yield sign is there right now but I'll check tonight. I admit, if I'm blowing that yield sign, my bad.

he said he had a green light on a right hand turn....i would hope the only option for the light in the opposite direction was also a green light, and the right hand turn on a green light always has right of way....shiv the mofo

Coming from the opposite direction, it starts as a green arrow but then turns to a regular green light when our way turns green.

right, so if your side was green, you have the right of way....can't imagine there would be a yield sign on a green light.....

Coming from the opposite direction, it starts as a green arrow but then turns to a regular green light when our way turns green.

And there's probably a sign up there telling drivers that without the arrow they have to yield with the green light. The other putz screwed up.

Agree with other posts that say absent signage to the contrary you would have the right of way.

My experience is that very few drivers really have a clue about ROW. Come to a four way stop here in Dallas and it is a circus. Another beauty is that most of the highways here are bounded by service roads that in the metro areas are one way following the direction of the highway. Typically they are two to four lanes wide. On what is called the Dallas North Tollway (I live near it) there are very clearly placed yield signs indicating that those on the service road must allow traffic comng off the tollway to do so. I can't tell you how many times I would have wiped out people when I am exiting because they pay no attention to the yield signs. I have had this happen once with an idiot on a motorcycle. No doubt I would have killed him had I just blown through.

If you have any Jeff Gordon stuff on your car he should have totaled it and beat you unconscious. JMO. :thumbsup:

****! now I question my answers.

We all do.