Coaches should have to clear waivers

Justice

In today's NFL, where the rich get richer and the poor just keep getting poorer, there needs to be more ways to create equality throughout the NFL. I'm really starting to hate how pro football is becoming more and more like MLB.

Free agents players already go to the highest bidder, and I guess I can deal with that, but when coaches start declining jobs that will pay them the same amount of money, or even in some cases, more money than the more glamourous posts around the NFL, that just doesn't seem fair.

Coaches should be treated more like the players. They (the coaches) already have the advantage of getting guaranteed contracts, which the players themselves don't get and they also have the luxury of always being UFA's, another advantage the athletes also don't have.

Why the disparity in treatment?

What makes the coaches so special?

The integrity of the league is at stake here, IMO. When a coach turns down a job and goes to the "big" cities, where all the players choose to go as well, it creates a lopsided league of have's and have nots. If your'e as good of a coach as you think you are, why not coach anywhere in the league? You say your worth $10 million a year, then why not earn it?

Roger Goodell speaks of creating parity in the league and at the same time all his actions, and in some instances lack there of, suggests otherwise. How can there be parity in a league that allows coaches and players to control where they will and will not go?

A few years ago, the NFL had the right system in place. It was called "Plan B" free agency. For those of you too young to know, Plan B free agency was a system where the team was allowed to chose who will be allowed to leave and who they will keep.

This system allowed fans to have a deeper connection with their favorite players, because you knew that the best players on your team wasn't going anywhere. Back in those days, players retired from the teams they started with much more than today's game and that was good for the game. That is what got the game to be as great and as big as it is today, but the owners/players had to screw that up.

I realize that things will never be the same again, in the NFL, and that's a shame. All they're doing is alienating the very same fan base that made them rich in the first place. They're essentially trading in the average family man for corporate America greed. Even the atmosphere at the games have changed over the years. When you kill off the real die hard fans in the league in exchange for the suit and tie crowd that are only there because it's "the" place to be of the moment. When things are going well, these types of fans will show up. When things aren't going so well, these so called "fans", will disappear.

Buffalo, is the exception. Fans show up no matter what, which leads me to my original point and reason for starting this vent fest post. We don't deserve this. There are far more Ralph Wilson type owners in the league than the Jerry Jones' and yet the minority is controlling the majority. Free Agency, as we know it, will never go away. The players won't allow it, because it puts more money in their pockets, but can we at least help the smaller market teams out by controlling where the coaches go using a waiver wire type system that forces a the coaches with the highest winning percentages to go to the most neediest of teams?

Make these coaches earn their guaranteed contracts and special privelages.

There are good coaches every where. Your team just has to be able to find them. Cowher and guys like him were once coordinators ( I believe he was only a STs coordinator before he was hired). It's on the team to find the next great coach. Hopefully Nix will be as successful at finding a coach as he has been with finding players.