Sully's Article

Not hard to be right when you criticize every move of a team that hasnt made the playoffs in 10 years,

And it's precisely his job to do just that. An opinion on a team that has been garbage for a long time. The fact that he isn't a Bills fan is even better for me, as you usually get objectivity out of him. I can't get why people don't get this.

HE IS PAID TO WRITE OPINION. If he wrote rosy things about the Bills all of the time.....well.....he'd be Chris Brown, and that my friends, is not a compliment.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Calling a turd a turd is one thing. Pretending to know all the answers is another.

It's always the same schtick. Always "I know what's best for the Bills." Always the same tired old slant.

Calling someone a turd everyday for the last decade gets old.

No, watching a turd of a football team for the last decade gets old. I can handle Jerry.

If he wrote rosy things about the Bills all of the time.....well.....he'd be Chris Brown, and that my friends, is not a compliment.

Why bash Chris Brown? Chris is EMPLOYED BY THE BILLS! You defend Jerry for doing what he is "paid to do." Right?

REALLY? Need I remind you that the NFL has been littered with the corpses of outstanding college coaches who have done nothing as head coaches... and his article doesn't even mention Billick!

NO, Sullivan is trying to find someone who will POTENTIALLY make our offense better, who had a great one at Stanford. Stanford is not the NFL, and as history shows us, only people with proven NFL coaching experience win championships.

Bobby Petrino

Lou Holtz

Steve Spurrier

Nick Saban

Dennis Erickson

Butch Davis

Rich Brooks

It has also been littered with failures that haven't been college coaches. Butch Davis took the Browns to the playoffs, nearly did it twice

Why bash Chris Brown? Chris is EMPLOYED BY THE BILLS! You defend Jerry for doing what he is "paid to do." Right?

What Chris does is a job, and he does what he's supposed to do, and does it well. I just can't believe someone would want to be restricted like that, and be an extension of a PR arm as a journalist. That's assuming he went to journalism school or something though. It's more of PR. Hell, it's not even Sports Information what he does. Just wouldn't be for me, that's all. But yeah, he's good at it.

On the other hand, with papers dwindling, and print media dwindling, Chris Brown may have the safest job of them all. His kind of PR pieces will be needed, and his company is in absolutely great shape to not go under. So, job security for him is huge I guess.

Believe CB was a mass-comm major at Geneseo; not sure he ever worked in print before Bills Digest. Then again, Chuck Pollock was originally a radio/TV guy, too.

I guess "safety" is debatable anywhere in the industry these days. Think the Broncos and Browns whacked a significant part of their PR staff following last season, including the guys who had the jobs most similar to Chris'. But you're right that the Bills, unlike 100+ newspapers which ceased printing last year, will probably last for a while longer yet...

i'd never take anyone that sullivan recommends - he's not a bills fan - never will be - he does not have the best interest of the bills in anything that spews from his negatuve, venemous scratchings

What does being a Bills fan have to do with anything? Sully is passionate about sports, Bills included.

BTW, he is the ONLY "journalist/reporter/columnist around here with any balls.

He doesn't kiss ass so he can have a few beers with the players or coaches.

I like that.

What does being a Bills fan have to do with anything? Sully is passionate about sports, Bills included.

I like that.

He's a talk radio guy that is in the newspaper instead of the radio- not saying thats good or bad...I have my opinion, but some people like it.

If anyone sees Sully with a tent pitched in his BVDs it probably because his column was actually picked up and discussed on Pardon The Interruption today. It amazes me that not only was the Bills coaching search discussed by Kornheiser & Wilbon, but that Sully's nomination of Jim Harbaugh was taken seriously. I have to believe if Harbaugh was having a cup of coffee when that segment came on he would have done a spit take.

6:45 in, right after the Bellicheat segment.

PTR

REALLY? Need I remind you that the NFL has been littered with the corpses of outstanding college coaches who have done nothing as head coaches... and his article doesn't even mention Billick!

NO, Sullivan is trying to find someone who will POTENTIALLY make our offense better, who had a great one at Stanford. Stanford is not the NFL, and as history shows us, only people with proven NFL coaching experience win championships.

Bobby Petrino

Lou Holtz

Steve Spurrier

Nick Saban

Dennis Erickson

Butch Davis

Rich Brooks

The exceptions are Dick Vermeil, to some extent Barry Switzer, and of course, Jimmy Johnson. As others have mentioned also, none of those on the above list ever played NFL football, except Steve Spurrier maybe, for a short while. Spurrier won the Heisman Trophy so I assume he at least had a cup of coffee in the NFL.

SO what if he was a QB in the NFL for 14 years, there are alot of coaches who were QBs caoching in the NFL (AVP- frank reich just off the top of my head--yea they were backups)

Harbaugh might be a good pick but he has no NFL experience. This is exactly the type of pick the Bills dont need right now. they need proven NFL coaching not a wish and a dream from Sully. Had to expect the lemmings to agree

Jim Harbaugh played in 177 games in the NFL, 140 as a starter. He made the Pro Bowl, and was nicknamed "Captain Comeback" for his 4th quarter heroics. He was a three year starter at Michigan where he was All-American and finished 3rd in the Heisman voting his senior year. He had an excellent football career as a player. He was not a backup quarterback.

The NFL is not like college. none of you on this board were talking harbaugh until sullys article but like a bunch of middle school girls watching MTV its like "omg thats suuuuch a good idea"

I talked about Harbaugh on this board on November 17th:

"For the trifecta, As I and others have pointed out, the team would do well to hire a real GM or football czar before hiring a head coach. That said, Jim Harbaugh should get some consideration. I don't know what his buyout at Stanford would be but he's earmarked for an NFL Head Coaching job. In fact Harbaugh was interviewed for the job which eventually went to Rex Ryan, with the Jets. Harbaugh was also the Raiders quarterbacks coach under Jon Gruden and helped Rich Gannon win the NFL MVP award in 2002.

This is an impressive set of credentials for a young coach:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Harbaugh

My nephew attended the University of San Diego during the 3 years that Harbaugh was coach. Harbaugh completely turned the program around. They won one game the year before he arrived. After starting out 7-4 in his first season, San Diego ran off two consecutive 11-1 seasons. In the process he developed quarterback Josh Johnson who Tampa Bay made a 5th round pick last year. He is an excellent offensive mind and teacher of quarterbacks. If anyone could "coach up" Trent Edwards, it would be Jim Harbaugh.

In 2007, Harbaugh's first year at Stanford, his unranked team beat #1 ranked USC 24-23. USC entered the game as 41 point favorites making the Stanford win, statistically the greatest upset in college football history. Stanford, a perennial bottom dweller in the Pac Ten is currently ranked at #14 in the latest AP poll.

This year he again beat USC, 55-21 (last weekend).

Harbaugh has twice turned college programs around in one season. He was an excellent former NFL quarterback and he did his apprenticeship as an NFL assistant coach. His Dad is a longtime football coach and of course his brother John is head coach of the Baltimore Ravens.

This is just about as good as it gets for a guy without NFL head coaching experience."

I will add that Harbaugh, has been entrusted by former NFL QB Oliver Luck, to coach his son Andrew, who will be a star NFL QB someday soon. Harbaugh is considered an outstanding developer of quarterbacks. In spite of this, his Stanford success has been built on smashmouth football, to cover up the weakness of the Stanford defense which simply can't recruit enough good athletes to be competitive. In spite of Harbaugh's mastery as a passing game coach, his teams have been tough, physical, running teams.

I like that.

for not ruffling any feathers, the rest of the local media sure have not been very successful at unearthing any stories from all the sucking up they allegedly do.

And it's precisely his job to do just that. An opinion on a team that has been garbage for a long time. The fact that he isn't a Bills fan is even better for me, as you usually get objectivity out of him. I can't get why people don't get this.

HE IS PAID TO WRITE OPINION. If he wrote rosy things about the Bills all of the time.....well.....he'd be Chris Brown, and that my friends, is not a compliment.

I wouldnt expect him to write rosy things ALL the time. I dont mind Sullivan, but cmon he is almost always negative.

I bet he'd even write a negative piece on Tyler Myers (cue google research to show he wrote something about how myers loves sunshine and puppies)

In case you missed it, Kelly, while a HOF'er like OJ, is the unofficial ambassador for the Bills, looking to be part of an ownership group of the team, and to my knowledge, hasn't committed, or been accused of committing, double homicide.

screw Kelly. his day is done. he needs to go away. I want to win. soon. the team is leaving town anyway when ralph dies, so Kelly is irrelevant.

He objectively writes opinion? :thumbsup: