Ron Artest and others

Takeo_14

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The players union won't allow Ron Artest to be suspended for a long ammount of time.  They will get it cut down no problem.

127343[/snapback]

I think whatever the suspension is the Player's union will file a complaint. But if even the Pacers themselves aren't too anxious to forgive Artest, it may not matter.

The Pacers are standing behind him completely as are most players for other teams.

127350[/snapback]

That's not what the news wires are reporting today. The names you hear the front office defeding are Oneil and Jackson...not Artest.

Like I said, it will be interesting.

Yeah they suck alright.  Best record in the league last year and a BETTER team this year.

We will get into the playoffs easily.

127148[/snapback]

You mean like the St. Louis Cardinals?

Artest and Jackson should be gone for the year. You dont EVER go into the stands unless you actually see your family there and in danger or something. They didnt even know if they were pummelling the right guys.

If they were simply hitting fans who came onto the court, its a different matter. All bets are off when that happens.

If security/police find who threw beer/foreign objects and the fans that stormed the court, they should be ARRESTED.

Only in sports can people give other people and even fans beatdowns and consider a lengthy suspension harsh. If I assaulted someone at my job, I'd be fired AND arrested.

What happened the other night was awful. Once Artest and Jackson went into the stands, they were wrong. Having said that, they didn't START the melee, and therefore should not be suspended for the season. 20 games for both of them; Artest will probably get more given his past.

O'Neill should get suspended, but not as much as the others. He was not fighting in the stands. His big punch landed on the head of a fan who was ON THE COURT. Big difference in my opinion. If a fan runs on to a football field, he might get close-lined by a player, and he deserves it. The player doesn't get into any trouble. Given that it was in the middle of a brawl, though, it is slightly different and say O'Neill should get punished. But not 20 games. Those two idiots who came on to the floor to confront Artest got exactly what they deserved.

The bottom line is that the whole thing started because Ben Wallace got fouled (not flagrantly) and Wallace got pissed because the Pacers had the audacity to go into the home of the defending champs and beat their ass. Poor Pistons. What the Pacers did during the brawl is not excusable, but the fact is NONE of this would have ever happened if Wallace didn't act like a baby because his team got their asses handed to them. Then, just when things were starting to cool down, it got crazy because fans threw things at Artest. Then all hell broke loose. Again, I'm not defending any of the Pacers' actions, but if I'm tailgating with R. Rich, Thailog, Lori and others from TBD, and some Dolphins fans comes up and throws a drink and a cup in one of our faces, I'm taking part in any action that defends our group.

So to blame the Pacers entirely, like one poster did in this thread, is absolutely KzooMike. And for those of you making absurd comments about the Pacers sucking, you don't know a damn thing. I hated the NBA until I moved to Indy. I went to a few games because of free tickets and started liking the Pacers because of hard and intense they played night in and night out, regardless of opponent and regardless of the score. They had the best record in the NBA last year, and may have beaten the Pistons had it not been for injuries to key players down the stretch. This year, half of their roster is filled with guys who are injured, yet they still managed a 7-2 start (before the brawl), with wins at Minnesota and at Detroit. Suck? I don't think so. They are one of the best teams in the league, no question about it.

What happened the other night was awful. Once Artest and Jackson went into the stands, they were wrong. Having said that, they didn't START the melee, and therefore should not be suspended for the season. 20 games for both of them; Artest will probably get more given his past.

Um, YES in fact, they DID "START the melee". There was no melee in between the players. Just the usual pushing and shoving that happens all the time. Then some fan throws a paper cup. Big deal. Still no melee. THEN, 3 friggin MORONS charge into the crowd and start throwing punches at random people. THAT is a melee and THAT is why they are being punished and why the punishments that I listed above are fitting.

Sorry if your favorite team just got screwed, but take off the homer blinders for a minute and you might understand.

Suspensions are even LONGER than that!

Artest is GONE for the year.

Jackson 30 games

O'Neil 25 games.

:lol:  :blink:  :blink:

127544[/snapback]

I wonder if this will get the message across to the rest of the NBA, I doubt it though.

I WAS a big Artest fan, Im a SJU alum, but I would have suspended him for the year + playoffs

Um, YES in fact, they DID "START the melee".  There was no melee in between the players.  Just the usual pushing and shoving that happens all the time.  Then some fan throws a paper cup.  Big deal.  Still no melee.  THEN, 3 friggin MORONS charge into the crowd and start throwing punches at random people.  THAT is a melee and THAT is why they are being punished and why the punishments that I listed above are fitting.

Sorry if your favorite team just got screwed, but take off the homer blinders for a minute and you might understand.

127571[/snapback]

I understand just fine. I understand that the three Pacers did act like morons, just like you said. I understand that it wasn't a melee until the incident carried over into the crowd, just like you said. I also understand that to get to that point, two things had to happen: 1. Ben Wallace acted like a little B word out of frustration over his team getting whipped; 2. Detroit fans, known around the world for being idiots, got involved by throwing things at Pacer players.

Neither of those two things were of any fault to the Pacers. Were those guys in the wrong? Absolutely. Should they get huge suspensions without pay? You bet.

Now that the suspensions have been handed down, I'm not all that surprised. Jackson got worse than O'Neal, as he should. I don't agree with Artest getting booted for the season. 30 games, no pay.

Now if only the NHL would see what the NBA does to control stupidness. Too bad there is no NHL season, but this would be a great lesson for Betman and the NHL. Serious actions deserve serious penalties and the NHL has never had the balls to justify violence like Sterns just did.

I understand just fine. I understand that the three Pacers did act like morons, just like you said. I understand that it wasn't a melee until the incident carried over into the crowd, just like you said. I also understand that to get to that point, two things had to happen: 1. Ben Wallace acted like a little B word out of frustration over his team getting whipped; 2. Detroit fans, known around the world for being idiots, got involved by throwing things at Pacer players.

Neither of those two things were of any fault to the Pacers. Were those guys in the wrong? Absolutely. Should they get huge suspensions without pay? You bet.

Now that the suspensions have been handed down, I'm not all that surprised. Jackson got worse than O'Neal, as he should. I don't agree with Artest getting booted for the season. 30 games, no pay.

127600[/snapback]

Artest is an !@#$. He was and has been wrong on SO many levels that he's lucky he wasn't banned for life, which would have been fitting.