Expectation of Front Office Change is Unrealistic

cmjoyce113

The thing most people looking for John Guy and Modrak to get fired have to realize is that the draft is only 4 months away and all the information gathering has been done by Modrak over the last 3 months.

John Guy works in pro player personel so I would expect to him to be canned but I would expect Modrak to be with the team through the draft. At that point they will then make a decision on whether to keep him or not.

As for other guys we will see what happens if Overdorf and some of the others survive.

I would however like I said expect Modrak to stay with the team for the next few months at the very least.

The thing most people looking for John Guy and Modrak to get fired have to realize is that the draft is only 4 months away and all the information gathering has been done by Modrak over the last 3 months.

Not sure that's as critical as you may think. There's thousands of guys scouting college and pros every day and many of them have the same level of info as the Bills current (or should I say former) front office has. Plus, if this is like most regime changes, then there will be lots of turnover in player personnel that were unanticipated so Guy and Modrak probably haven't been preparing for the right things anyway.

John Guy works in pro player personel so I would expect to him to be canned but I would expect Modrak to be with the team through the draft. At that point they will then make a decision on whether to keep him or not.

As for other guys we will see what happens if Overdorf and some of the others survive.

I would however like I said expect Modrak to stay with the team for the next few months at the very least.

Regardless of a lucky pick in Byrd...he should be fired on the Maybin pick alone.

Regardless of a lucky pick in Byrd...he should be fired on the Maybin pick alone.

So the Byrd pick was pure luck -- and the Maybin pick (which may STILL pan out) was so bad he deserves to be fired? I suppose you were in the war room when Modrak demanded that they select Maybin with that #11 pick, too, right?

So the Byrd pick was pure luck -- and the Maybin pick (which may STILL pan out) was so bad he deserves to be fired? I suppose you were in the war room when Modrak demanded that they select Maybin with that #11 pick, too, right?

yes, because with all the "research" they do especially for a high salary first round pick you should not miss that badly.

Our new GM was our National Scout. I'm pretty sure he should have a handle on things.

Maybin is a ROOKIE, NOT EVERYONE CAN BE A JARIUS BYRD, patience is a virtue, the kid has an entire offseason to bulk up and earn his keep, jeez

I would have settled for a 1/4th Orakpo. Now, I know alot of rookies can be at least a 1/4th of an Orakpo. That's not too much to ask is it?

Don't we all wish we were the flies on the wall in that draft room?

Are the decisions tied to who the Head Coach wants or to the players recommended by the Vice President of College Scouting (or whatever title Modrak has)?

Our 2009 draft potentially (Ok, it is admittedly hard to judge the true talents of these players based on the philosophy of Dick Jauron and the schemes we played but look how many actually played this year as rookies opening up the possibilities for the future. All had Modrak's involvement to a degree.):

Maybin - Almost all of the draft experts had him going in the mid-first round. Did he meet our needs? No ... Can he somehow fit into the future needs? Right now we all want to say no but let's see what a quality head coach (we better get one) can do with him.

Wood - Has all the makings of a stud offensive lineman if he recovers from that awful broken leg. As a rookie he was doing everything right and has an "attitude" too.

Byrd - A 'ball hawk' who makes the Pro Bowl in his first season even when he didn't start most of the games. Obviously, he needs some coaching on run defense but has all the makings of a quality starter for years to come.

Levitre - Left guard problems solved. No, he doesn't have the body to play left tackle but as a rookie he proved himself week after week. Like Wood, he can play with attitude and did everything we could have hoped for from a rookie. He can only get better but no one can complain about having him on our line for years to come ... he survived nine different starting linemates in 16 games and didn't panic or lose composure. If anything be became a "solid veteran" as a rookie and that can only pay off for years to come.

Nelson - If he can resolve his ongoing migraine issues he has shown enough talent to be our tight end for the coming years either by himself or in sharing the position. Too bad he isn't 100% healthy all the time because his reach, catching abilities and power were impressive even with our quarterback situation.

Harris (Nic) - Ahh, another of our IR team members. He looked good in preseason and didn't look out of place on the field when he began to start. He doesn't look to be a starter but he does look like he belongs in the NFL.

Harris (Cary) - Intercepting Peyton Manning ... two interception game ... ok, so they were thrown right into his belly but unlike past Bills defenders from the last decade Harris didn't drop the ball. We can all think of certain individuals who would have let the sure interceptions roll out onto the turf.

Lankster - Needs coaching but here's another player who can be there to fill the much needed back-up roll for the Bills and who doesn't seem out of place on the field.

2008 Draft

McKelvin - Still hard to evaluate based on his injuries this season. Definitely potential for being our #2 corner with McGee next year and his return abilities are clearly there.

Hardy - Does anyone really know if he can play? Obviously Jauron had no faith in him but neither did Fewell. He has size ... but? So, he looms as a large question as I keep watching DeSean Jackson play.

Ellis - At least he is still with the team ... no experience

Corner - Perhaps he will never be a starter but most weeks I don't mind him being our nickel back or our 4th defensive back. He has shown flashes of ability.

Fine - He's an enigma to me ... perhaps teamed up with Nelson he can work. Shows some skill sets and is definitely better than many of the other mysterious tight ends we have seen at the Ralph this past decade.

Bowen - His injuries led to his release but he finished the year on the Redskins' active roster (ok, I know they suck too but they are an NFL team last I checked.)

Omon - Seattle's practice squad

Bell - Our "future" left tackle? Ok, that might be a joke but he is still a work in progress and remember that like Wood and Levitre he was basically inserted into one of the toughest positions as a rookie, which means mistakes are going to happen. His injuries have clouded his future but if he recovers and gets good coaching ... just maybe we will have another element to our starting offensive line or a decent back-up.

Johnson - Someone is going to have to explain how he got in the doghouse ... I love how he plays but he didn't get to play. Unless there is some evil secret ... I would think he has the potential to be a player with a new coaching team.

Cox - On Jacksonville's active roster

2007 Draft

Lynch - A really decent back-up runner who has been to the Pro Bowl with two 1000 yard seasons. "Trade bait?" Was he worth the pick who knows since Jackson is the better player but before his scrapes with the law we all were thinking BEAST MODE ...

Posluzny - Quarterbacks our defense ... put him with a couple of stud linebackers and who knows how good he might become. He seemed motivated this season both before and after his injury. A keeper

Edwards - For those brief shining moments when his "leadership abilities" shone through in pre-season 2008 and before the Arizona game ... we all thought here is the answer. A concussion and DICK JAURON coaching have finished him off in town and I don't think a new quality head coach can get into Trent's head ... but for a little while he seemed to be the real deal even in conversations with out of town fans and media.

Wright - Not associated with any team after being waived by the Giants in September.

Wendling - Special teams quality player who will never be anything more but every team needs some players like him.

Schouman - See comments on Fine above ... he may be the compliment to Nelson.

Ah You - St. Louis Rams DT (nickle defense) who had 17 tackles and 1 sack before going on IR this year.

So, out of the last three years' Modrak drafts we picked 25 players in the draft 24 of them are still on an NFL roster albeit most of them with the Bills. A couple of them have made the PRO BOWL ... a couple of them have potential written all over their names ... others are busts but I would be curious to review other teams' drafts to see how many of their picks remain in the league during the same time period.

Our problems go back to our Head Coach issues ... our quarterback problems ... our lack of a general manager ... our poor evaluation of pro talent (goodbye Mr. Guy) ... and to all of the injuries because of a pooring training regimine and poor coaching.

Will a new headcoach keep the majority of these players? Who knows ... but potential and dreams are still alive for many.

GO BILLS ...

I think there will be some changes in the front office with Nix getting the GM job. Guy is likely to be gone but I feel that Modrak and most of the college scouting staff will be back. HOWEVER the real change if you will in how this team drafts will be that Nix will be the guy to have his finger on the metaphorical button. I think that Nix will bring in a new philosophy to the table in terms of drafting players.

So while a shake up in terms of who is there isn't likely a shake up of who is doing what and why is more then likely.