Where Do They Go From Here?

Steely Dan

Obviously chore #1 for the FO is to get a new HC. That will affect the FA signings and draft choices. So I'm gonna approach this as If I were made the new HC. (Renew your season tickets now. ;) )

The first thing I'd do is get a new S&C coach.

Next hire a new asst. coaching staff. The only guy I'd retain from this crew is Bobby April. I'd look for the best QB coach and OL coach available. These are dire needs for the team.

I'd also call each of the players to let them know I'm here for them and answer any questions. The appreciation of this type of respect to player goes waaaaayyyyy beyond the time it takes to do it, IMO.

Then, in no particular order these things happen:

Change the uniforms.

Take a look at FA DT's, LB's and OT's. Unfortunately, those are tough to fill through FA, the high quality guys are mostly retained by their teams. I'd also look at trades, but outside of RP I can't think of any players to trade and his value is shot now. The team missed an opportunity to max his trade value at the beginning of this year.

If the Bills have the turnout for their offseason programs like they have the last few years it would be a great time to adjust the entire teams attitude.

I forget where I read this but a journeyman player who had been with teams who won the SB and teams that didn't make the playoffs said that every team thinks they are doing enough to win but in truth most are not. I definitely think the Bills fall into the delusional category. Another thing I heard once is that a HC put the offensive players with the defensive players as roommates on the road. They claimed it really helped team unity.

The draft (In order of importance);

1. QB - With a top 10 pick they may be able to get one to fall to them.

2. OT - Somebody will have to protect that investment.

3. DT - I think it's obvious why.

4. LB - I think it's obvious why. IMO, LB and DT are almost equal needs for the team and more than one should be drafted at each position.

5. DE - It never hurts to have too many DE's.

6. RB - See if ML has any trade value.

7. Interior OL, RT and secondary are almost nil needs IMO. With all of the offseason injuries to the OL and the subsequent FA signings I think they have enough candidates to put together a good line for next year and more. Meredith was especially looking good before his injury and BB will be back. The secondary is one of the best all around talent pools in the NFL if not the best. Leodis McKelvin will be back again too.

IMO, the top two needs are so necessary that trading up is an option that should be investigated. I normally hate trade ups because you're putting more than one draft pick in a guy who could possibly bust. I like the drafts with a lot of picks.

The QB trade up might not have to be made and if it does it will probably cost very little, in the scheme of things, to move up a couple of slots. I think the more likely scenario is that a trade to get back into the first round for an OT will be more than likely.

This offseason is dicey. So many "absolutely right" decisions have to be made and after ten years the faith is starting to crack. On the brightside the odds of doing things right are overdue now.

Oh well, let us pray. :doh:

Obviously chore #1 for the FO is to get a new HC. That will affect the FA signings and draft choices. So I'm gonna approach this as If I were made the new HC. (Renew your season tickets now. ;) )

The first thing I'd do is get a new S&C coach.

Next hire a new asst. coaching staff. The only guy I'd retain from this crew is Bobby April. I'd look for the best QB coach and OL coach available. These are dire needs for the team.

I'd also call each of the players to let them know I'm here for them and answer any questions. The appreciation of this type of respect to player goes waaaaayyyyy beyond the time it takes to do it, IMO.

Then, in no particular order these things happen:

Change the uniforms.

Take a look at FA DT's, LB's and OT's. Unfortunately, those are tough to fill through FA, the high quality guys are mostly retained by their teams. I'd also look at trades, but outside of RP I can't think of any players to trade and his value is shot now. The team missed an opportunity to max his trade value at the beginning of this year.

If the Bills have the turnout for their offseason programs like they have the last few years it would be a great time to adjust the entire teams attitude.

I forget where I read this but a journeyman player who had been with teams who won the SB and teams that didn't make the playoffs said that every team thinks they are doing enough to win but in truth most are not. I definitely think the Bills fall into the delusional category. Another thing I heard once is that a HC put the offensive players with the defensive players as roommates on the road. They claimed it really helped team unity.

The draft (In order of importance);

1. QB - With a top 10 pick they may be able to get one to fall to them.

2. OT - Somebody will have to protect that investment.

3. DT - I think it's obvious why.

4. LB - I think it's obvious why. IMO, LB and DT are almost equal needs for the team and more than one should be drafted at each position.

5. DE - It never hurts to have too many DE's.

6. RB - See if ML has any trade value.

7. Interior OL, RT and secondary are almost nil needs IMO. With all of the offseason injuries to the OL and the subsequent FA signings I think they have enough candidates to put together a good line for next year and more. Meredith was especially looking good before his injury and BB will be back. The secondary is one of the best all around talent pools in the NFL if not the best. Leodis McKelvin will be back again too.

IMO, the top two needs are so necessary that trading up is an option that should be investigated. I normally hate trade ups because you're putting more than one draft pick in a guy who could possibly bust. I like the drafts with a lot of picks.

The QB trade up might not have to be made and if it does it will probably cost very little, in the scheme of things, to move up a couple of slots. I think the more likely scenario is that a trade to get back into the first round for an OT will be more than likely.

This offseason is dicey. So many "absolutely right" decisions have to be made and after ten years the faith is starting to crack. On the brightside the odds of doing things right are overdue now.

Oh well, let us pray. :doh:

Pretty much a complete rebuild. The Bills will not be not very competitive with the top 15 teams in the league next year. 2-14 or 3-13 not out of the question. They play the AFC and NFC North next year, plus the AFC East teams will only be better next year. So 10 losses are easy to count right off the bat. No QB, no LT, new coaching staff and schemes. Should be ugly next year.

Pretty much a complete rebuild. The Bills will not be not very competitive with the top 15 teams in the league next year. 2-14 or 3-13 not out of the question. They play the AFC and NFC North next year, plus the AFC East teams will only be better next year. So 10 losses are easy to count right off the bat. No QB, no LT, new coaching staff and schemes. Should be ugly next year.

You're completely off the mark. This team has a good amount of talented players. Enough that if the right coach is chosen and they add a few missing pieces during the offseason, they could win the division. The Pats (yes the "mighty" Pats), Jets and Dolphins are all beatable teams next season.