3 - 4 questions?

I see alot of discussion about a 3 - 4 defense and started looking at how many players would be needed to make such a switch. I do not see Williams or Stroud being NT but could they play DE in the 3 - 4? If Shoebel stays is he a Bryce Paup type of OLB?? Could Kelsey, Maybin play OLB or to do a 3 - 4 do we need an entire set of new LBs? I see our biggest weakness to running a 3 - 4 is that the LB core doesn't seem to fit and we would have to address NT. Maybe with the right beef up front Poz could play one of the Middle backers.

So to move to a 3 - 4 we need a NT, 2 - 3 LB's thats alot to ask for along with trying to find players to fill the holes at OT.

I see alot of discussion about a 3 - 4 defense and started looking at how many players would be needed to make such a switch. I do not see Williams or Stroud being NT but could they play DE in the 3 - 4? If Shoebel stays is he a Bryce Paup type of OLB?? Could Kelsey, Maybin play OLB or to do a 3 - 4 do we need an entire set of new LBs? I see our biggest weakness to running a 3 - 4 is that the LB core doesn't seem to fit and we would have to address NT. Maybe with the right beef up front Poz could play one of the Middle backers.

So to move to a 3 - 4 we need a NT, 2 - 3 LB's thats alot to ask for along with trying to find players to fill the holes at OT.

Let me start this off by saying that Bryce Paup was an OLB before coming to Buffalo. So to compare him and Schobel isn't the right thing to do. If you want to know what it's like for a former 4-3 DE transitioning to OLB in the 3-4 look at Green Bay this year where Aaron Kampman made that transition. He struggled most of this season only picking up 3.5 sacks in 9 games. To ask Schobel, Kelsay or Maybin to make the transition is asking a lot that's why I feel it's foolish that we need to switch the defense.

To me the problems the Bills have on Defense are 1)Our offense is too inept and causing them to ware down late in games. 2)We lack someone in the middle who can penetrate the backfield. Guys like Warren Sapp and Tommie Harris are what made Bucs and Bears Tampa cover 2 top of the line defenses where right now I think the Bills are in the middle of the pack. 3) I feel we're weak at CB when look at Terrence McGee and Leodis McKelvin yet they might prove better if find #2. As it seemed obvious to me this season that Drayton Florence was our best CB.

That said if can somehow muster an average offense our defense will prove that it hasn't been bad as it seemed this year and if can find someone at DT then things could be much improved next year however if we bring a new HC and new scheme next year it might cause the defense to take a few steps back which hurts. Last but not least we need to convince Schobel to not retire. IF we lose him then we're in BIG trouble.

we need to convince Schobel to not retire. IF we lose him then we're in BIG trouble.

I hope the new coach and Nix can talk him in to staying. Lord knows losing for your whole career must drive a warrior like Schobel nuts. :bag:

I actually don't see a transition being that difficult- particularly at LB.

Mitchell can play one of the inside positions, Poz can be moved outside like he played at Penn State, and Maybin can be moved to the other OLB position. We just need 1 more LB to man the middle with Mitchell.

The D Line is where trouble starts. Drafting Whitner instead of Ngata certainly applies in this case, as we could use a stout lane clogging NT if we do indeed switch to a 3-4. Nose Tackles are hard to come by these days too, as voiced recently by Belicheat.

Our secondary appears to be set no matter what defense we use, as years of focus by Jauron seems to have left atleast 1 position in good standing.

I actually don't see a transition being that difficult- particularly at LB.

Mitchell can play one of the inside positions, Poz can be moved outside like he played at Penn State, and Maybin can be moved to the other OLB position. We just need 1 more LB to man the middle with Mitchell.

The D Line is where trouble starts. Drafting Whitner instead of Ngata certainly applies in this case, as we could use a stout lane clogging NT if we do indeed switch to a 3-4. Nose Tackles are hard to come by these days too, as voiced recently by Belicheat.

Our secondary appears to be set no matter what defense we use, as years of focus by Jauron seems to have left atleast 1 position in good standing.

Not clear to me that Poz can move outside I just dont see the speed needed. Mitchell maybe ok in middle. Agree the secondary looks ok assuming we can get healthy and may we trade away Whitner and Wilson/Scott to pick up extra picks