Why do we go through this every ten years?

ConradDobler

Over on the main board I keep seeing comments about "end of the decade".

There was no year zero.

The decade ends twelve months from yesterday.

The majority of people who realize this also realize that it's not worth worrying about and just move on and go with the flow.

There was no year zero.

You mean tomorrow. Where I am it's still yesterdyy.

There was no year zero.

So, the year 2000 was only a dream?

1. 00

2. 01

3. 02

4. 03

5. 04

6. 05

7. 06

8. 07

9. 08

10. 09

10 years equals a decade. At leasts that's the decade I think everyone's talking about. Maybe not though.

So, the year 2000 was only a dream?

1. 00

2. 01

3. 02

4. 03

5. 04

6. 05

7. 06

8. 07

9. 08

10. 09

10 years equals a decade. At leasts that's the decade I think everyone's talking about. Maybe not though.

I think he's saying that the calendar went from 1 BCE to 1 CE, with no year 0. So the first decade was:

1. 1 CE

2. 2 CE

3. 3 CE

4. 4 CE

5. 5 CE

6. 6 CE

7. 7 CE

8. 8 CE

9. 9 CE

10. 10 CE

And so, the current decade would have started with 2001.

The majority of people who realize this also realize that it's not worth worrying about and just move on and go with the flow.

/end_thread

I tried explaining this to people in 1999/2000 but nobody cared or understood. So eh, can't beat 'em join 'em

I think he's saying that the calendar went from 1 BCE to 1 CE, with no year 0. So the first decade was:

1. 1 CE

2. 2 CE

3. 3 CE

4. 4 CE

5. 5 CE

6. 6 CE

7. 7 CE

8. 8 CE

9. 9 CE

10. 10 CE

And so, the current decade would have started with 2001.

True. But, no one is saying we're remembering the 200th decade or anything like that. They're just saying, we're remembering the last decade - the decade of 00's.

There was no year zero.

Decade is more metaphorical then literal. I don't think 1990 is part of the 1980's or 1980 is part of the 1970's. Now if you want to say the first 2 to 3 years of a decade are just a hangover from the previous one that would be true. But to say that we aren't in a new decade is taking the complete wrong definition of a decade. A decade is a 10 year measurement not the measurement of every 10 years (IF that makes any sense).

So the first decade, 2000 years ago had nine years in it. And each subsequent decade has ten. There problem solved.

The real question is why every ten years do we have to subjected to a bunch of know-it-all's running around telling everyone something they already know. It's all a psychological association with numbers. As someone pointed out earlier 1980 is a year that is associated with the 80s, it'd be foolish to try to include it in a discussion of the 70s.