Did Bills hire GM now to clear way for coaching hire?

PromoTheRobot

If they waited to interview some assistants front office people from other teams they may have missed the chance at some coaching candidates. Does this mean they go for Cowher full bore? Make him an offer he can't refuse? Try to get him to sign before Tampa and Carolina end their seasons? Do the try for Schottenheimer even though he's saying he's not coming out of retirement? Nix made it sound like they will focus on experienced head coaches rather than first-timers.

If not Cowher, then maybe Fassell? Billick?

PTR

If they waited to interview some assistants front office people from other teams they may have missed the chance at some coaching candidates. Does this mean they go for Cowher full bore? Make him an offer he can't refuse? Try to get him to sign before Tampa and Carolina end their seasons? Do the try for Schottenheimer even though he's saying he's not coming out of retirement? Nix made it sound like they will focus on experienced head coaches rather than first-timers.

PTR

I think any of the coaches you mentioned would be a good fit. I'm hoping for Cowher or Marty.

Sounds good until you hear Nix say that he has had no involvement in the process.

I hope he has a fairly free hand in this decision, and is not given some short pre-arranged menu by Smithers and/or the bean counters, as the decision of the next head coach and leader of this franchise will define Nix's "era" as GM.

Sounds good until you hear Nix say that he has had no involvement in the process.

I hope he has a fairly free hand in this decision, and is not given some short pre-arranged menu by Smithers and/or the bean counters, as the decision of the next head coach and leader of this franchise will define Nix's "era" as GM.

Ralph said directly in the presser that Nix was in charge of finding the next HC.

Ralph said directly in the presser that Nix was in charge of finding the next HC.

Was he reading that off a 3x5 card that Smithers handed him? :flirt:

Seriously though, Ralph seemed to be contradicted on a few points. I hope it is true and Nix has authority to interview whomever he wants, but let's not forget that Brandon is still in charge as he was also promoted to CEO.

Was he reading that off a 3x5 card that Smithers handed him? :flirt:

Seriously though, Ralph seemed to be contradicted on a few points. I hope it is true and Nix has authority to interview whomever he wants, but let's not forget that Brandon is still in charge as he was also promoted to CEO.

Exactly, and Brandon being a marketing man is why we will get why we're asking for- a high-profile coach... if we can find one to take the job. Give Russ some credit and quit blaming drafts on the man. He put asses in seats and has avoided sectioning off massive sections of a 72,000 seat stadium with black tarp.

Exactly, and Brandon being a marketing man is why we will get why we're asking for- a high-profile coach... if we can find one to take the job. Give Russ some credit and quit blaming drafts on the man. He put asses in seats and has avoided sectioning off massive sections of a 72,000 seat stadium with black tarp.

"This game is so great it sells itself," said Tim Ryan.

PTR

I'm surprised of the ignorance of all you supposedly "well versed" football fans.

Nix was a part of the Super Bowl Bills front office. He, along with fellow cronies Polian, Smith, and Butler built the Bills into one of the best teams of the 90's. When he exited along with those guys, this decade of futility began. He helped build San Diego into a powerhouse.

A San Diego team that may even make it to the Super Bowl.

We have indeed suffered this decade, my friends. I am speaking as someone who has paid hundreds of dollars every year on Sunday Ticket, Bills gear, and national ridicule wherever I have lived the past 10 years (CA, FL, DC) as I represented my team. But this hire is different.

Nix knows what he is doing.

PTR

Promo. I think you are on the right track.