Question re: HD broadcasts over the air

JÂy RÛßeÒ

Just got my new HDTV (Panasonic TC P42S1 42 inch 1080p 600 hz plasma) installed, but DirecTV can't upgrade my programming until next Wednesday. I have basic cable for local channels. With the cable connected, everything is SD.

The TV has a digital tuner. If I unhook the cable, will I get HD over the air through the TV's digital tuner? Do I need a digital antenna or anything else?

Just got my new HDTV (Panasonic TC P42S1 42 inch 1080p 600 hz plasma) installed, but DirecTV can't upgrade my programming until next Wednesday. I have basic cable for local channels. With the cable connected, everything is SD.

The TV has a digital tuner. If I unhook the cable, will I get HD over the air through the TV's digital tuner? Do I need a digital antenna or anything else?

Yup. You'll need a digital antenna. I had a similar issue when I got my HD TV and the cable company couldn't get me an HD cable box for a while.

I found an HD antenna for about $15 I think. It worked surprisingly well.

there is no such thing as a "digital antenna". It is just an antenna. Keep in mind that your old VHF stations (2-13) may actually be occupying UHF frequencies now.

But yes, attach an appropriate sized antenna that is appropriate for the frequencies you want to pick and you are good to go.

42"? You got a TV for the corner in the kitchen I take it?

:rolleyes:

42"? You got a TV for the corner in the kitchen I take it?

:rolleyes:

My wife says that size doesn't matter :worthy:

Actually the 42" fits exactly in the space we have for it, and we sit only about 10 feet away. With my wife's corporate agreement with Panasonic we got this $75 cheaper than Walmart's price.

Congrats on the tv, man! Panny makes some of the best plasmas....they're my favorite next to Pioneer. That sounds like a nice deal you got on a nice display! :rolleyes:

Depending on the strength of the local stations, you may need an antenna with an electic boost. I think that's what people might mean who refer to "digital antennas". I have a tv in my computer room that I don't have hooked up to cable. On some stations I have to turn the booster on my antenna up. Others come in fine without the boost. All high def broadcasts come in great.