Russia wants to save Earth from Asteroid

/dev/null

I think what Russia wants is others to invest into their space program. The comment about it seals it for me:

Anatoly Perminov told the Russian radio station Golos Rossii: "People's lives are at stake. We should pay several hundred million dollars and build a system that would allow us to prevent a collision, rather than sit and wait for it to happen and kill hundreds of thousands of people."

If it happens it will not kill hundreds of thousands, it would kill hundreds of millions if not less but it is such an extremely long shot Bills and Lions have better chance of meeting in Superbowl before then.

Based on my scientific evaluation of numerous sci-fi movies, I agree with the experts that the trick is not to blow up the asteroid, which just makes smaller pieces still moving towards Earth, but to leave it intact and nudge it to change it's trajectory, perhaps with the use of rockets placed on its surface. I also read a theory that solar powered lasers could bore holes into the asteroid at strategic points, and the escaping gases would be the propellent that changes its trajectory.